FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1318124-do-you-know-who-i-am-definitive-thread-dykwia-stories.html)

delter Feb 19, 2011 11:09 pm

for $30 I'll yell a bit and breathe alcohol fumes on you
it's a win-win . Any Venture Capitalists here? PM me

GYEWorldTraveler Feb 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Wow, I just want to know who at DL issued a $75 ecert....that is crazy especially considering you were connecting and not impacted by this. Plus the jetstream is howling at your back flying from out west right now. I have been on a number of flights where they purposely depart 30-45 mins late due to strong tailwinds and not wanting to land before everything is open. Voucher issues like this impact DLs profit and I am somewhat stunned that they gave $75 for the incident. If this happened 100 times a day (not a large % considering DL flies thousands of flights with 100s of pax) that would cost the company $7500....in a year that adds up to ~$2.75 million. If DL doesn't remark accts of constant complainers, they ought to. My example is a lowball of how many wrongful credit issues there are daily, I believe the number is actually much higher. I think that it illustrates how a seemingly harmless credit issue can really add up.

BadgerFlyer91 Feb 20, 2011 4:53 am

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 15897448)
Wow, I just want to know who at DL issued a $75 ecert....that is crazy especially considering you were connecting and not impacted by this. Plus the jetstream is howling at your back flying from out west right now. I have been on a number of flights where they purposely depart 30-45 mins late due to strong tailwinds and not wanting to land before everything is open. Voucher issues like this impact DLs profit and I am somewhat stunned that they gave $75 for the incident. If this happened 100 times a day (not a large % considering DL flies thousands of flights with 100s of pax) that would cost the company $7500....in a year that adds up to ~$2.75 million. If DL doesn't remark accts of constant complainers, they ought to. My example is a lowball of how many wrongful credit issues there are daily, I believe the number is actually much higher. I think that it illustrates how a seemingly harmless credit issue can really add up.

I was thinking the credit was for the fact that an inattentive ga or FA didn't deal with the passenger. While I have sat next to some doozies in my time, if someone is truly that intoxicated before they get on, they may pose a threat after they get on.

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 5:47 am

Originally Posted by BadgerFlyer91 (Post 15898042)
I was thinking the credit was for the fact that an inattentive ga or FA didn't deal with the passenger. While I have sat next to some doozies in my time, if someone is truly that intoxicated before they get on, they may pose a threat after they get on.

So, if that's the case, then everybody on the flight - or everybody at the gate area waiting for ANY flight should have gotten $75! I just don't see how this affects the OP - especially to the tune of $75! If anything, 1000 - 2000 miles just to make the OP feel as if they did something!

RatherBeOnATrain Feb 20, 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 15896946)
Even at 1:15, the display still showed, on time departure at 12:35. the Drunk DYKWIA yelled are they riding Camels to the airport?

I wish I could communicate so succinctly when sober!

MNAudiS4 Feb 20, 2011 6:04 am

i just cannot believe how many people email DL to complain and they get rewarded for it. I avg maybe 1 email a yr if that. Maybe i should start to email after every flight.

seats to hard, bin is loud, light is to bright, fa didn't stand up right after seat belt sign was off, bathroom out of soap/towels, didn't shut the privacy between FC/coach, to many coach passengers coming up to FC, GA didn't board right as 30 minutes, bad boarding process etc

i know DL is trying to be customers first, but some of this requests go a little to far.

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 6:17 am

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4 (Post 15898196)
i just cannot believe how many people email DL to complain and they get rewarded for it. I avg maybe 1 email a yr if that. Maybe i should start to email after every flight.

seats to hard, bin is loud, light is to bright, fa didn't stand up right after seat belt sign was off, bathroom out of soap/towels, didn't shut the privacy between FC/coach, to many coach passengers coming up to FC, GA didn't board right as 30 minutes, bad boarding process etc

i know DL is trying to be customers first, but some of this requests go a little to far.

Here's the crazy thing, the way I see it. As trivial and ridiculous as the above things are, they all affect YOU. In the OP's story, the drunk pax was yelling at the gate agent. How did this affect the OP? Did I miss something?

DeltaFan4Now Feb 20, 2011 6:21 am

Originally Posted by delter (Post 15897408)
for $30 I'll yell a bit and breathe alcohol fumes on you
it's a win-win . Any Venture Capitalists here? PM me

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. If you are, I hope there's a special circle of hell for shameless parasites. You'll lots of company there these days :D

danielonn Feb 20, 2011 7:28 am

Intersting

I would have expected the gate agent to call security and deny boarding to the individual. Cleary being under the influence of alcohol is against the FAA regulations. I would have expected a denied boarding as he could have posed a danger to the rest of the passengers and flight crew.

Seems like the gate agent wasn't following protocol .

hooverer Feb 20, 2011 10:13 am

Wow, $75 ECV for about an hour or so delay, plus having to listen and sit next to someone who had been drinking and talking loud, perhaps obnoxiously?

Congratulations!

Now Im wondering what I could have gotten for a recent 8 hour mechanical delay other than the $50 voucher handed out by the gate agent? :td:

Granted I was only on a B fare and upgraded into F. Not to mention having some guy whom I had seen been drinking and talking loudly to others, and then once in the air he wants to punch me in the face or kick my a$$ in the airport parking lot when we landed.:confused:

Price of a RT B fare ticket with F upgrade = $850+
Price of an 8 hour mechanical delay and missed meeting = $50 ECV:td:
Price for notifying crew via call button of passenger making threats against others = Included in fare^
Watching some guy not being able to demonstrate his liquid courage upon landing = Priceless:D

-H

MSPDeltaDude Feb 20, 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 15897448)

I disagree to some extent...I know many people who never use the Vouchers and I know people who go on TRIPS just because they received a voucher for $25 or $50 off and use DL rather then another airline to save a few bucks....

KoKoBuddy Feb 20, 2011 10:26 am

If only all industries worked like airlines...

You're are at a supermarket. There is a long line of people at the checkout line. The old lady pulls out the checkbook and writes a check. Followed by repeated price checks on items. You finally get to the checkout and the cashier, in order to apologize for the delay takes $50 off your bill and an upgrade from the no-name detergent to Tide free of charge.

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 10:28 am

Originally Posted by hooverer (Post 15899066)
Now Im wondering what I could have gotten for a recent 8 hour mechanical delay other than the $50 voucher handed out by the gate agent? :td:

DL has unpublished, but official guidelines as to compensation when it's their fault - not weather, etc. It's based on length of delay and Medallion status. I believe for DM/PM over 5 hours it's a $200 voucher. If you ask a RedCoat, they should know about it. At this point, you should DEFINITELY call!!

. . . just a note that I believe the flight in question yesterday was DL2606. It departed 53 minutes late and arrived 41 minutes late.

hooverer Feb 20, 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 15899159)
DL has unpublished, but official guidelines as to compensation when it's their fault - not weather, etc. It's based on length of delay and Medallion status. I believe for DM/PM over 5 hours it's a $200 voucher. If you ask a RedCoat, they should know about it. At this point, you should DEFINITELY call!!

. . . just a note that I believe the flight in question yesterday was DL2606. It departed 53 minutes late and arrived 41 minutes late.

I had held off on calling/writing DL to see what if anything they would do on their own vs. having to be prompt them. Based on some past experiences, I had seen where some miles or ECVs were automaticly deposited after similar delays (20 hour being longest).

DL did send out a survey for the delayed flight which I completed and assuming that since I did not complain or demand compensation they were not offering it.

I hope I have not upset any FTers or DYKWIA status holders for not aggressively pursuing some form of compensation from DL, and if so, I will try and redeam myself ;)

-H

patrickATX Feb 20, 2011 2:08 pm

I have to admit I complained/commented to Delta several times last year. I was not looking for compensation, nor did I receive it a majority of the time. I always complained about legitimate issues and made my complaints as constructive as possible. I also tried to point out FAs or GAs that helped fix or address the issue to the best of their ability even when it was beyond their control.

Most of the issues had to deal with special meals ordered in advance of my flight but not loaded onto the plane by catering and some were about other customer service issues. A couple of times i sent comments an outstanding employees and how they made flying better.

I send the complaints/comments in hopes that someone at Delta was actually paying attention and wants to improve the airline. The compensation I received on a few of the complaints (always miles) was nice, but not necessary. Good replies, instead of the canned responses, were more rewarding to me. I actually had a call from someone at Delta regarding catering in DTW and she outlined the changes they were making to address issues like mine. That was worth more much more than miles and canned responses. It made feel much more appreciated and that Delta does want to make things better.

jsgoldbe Feb 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 15899159)

Or write. I recently got 12000 miles for non-functioning power plug in BE for 12 hrs. Made me quite happy to be a DL customer and bought my loyalty for a while, which I assume is the intent of any compensation.

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe (Post 15901460)
Or write. I recently got 12000 miles for non-functioning power plug in BE for 12 hrs. Made me quite happy to be a DL customer and bought my loyalty for a while, which I assume is the intent of any compensation.

Yes, you certainly can write, but my personal experience, and I believe others here, would say that, writing to Delta will more likely get you miles - and calling the Medallion line will more likely get you a $$$ off voucher. In this case, I believe he's entitled to $$$ off by their own rules, so I suggest calling. It's much easier to pawn off SkyPesos, when there's no human to human contact. (Just my personal feelings)

jsgoldbe Feb 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 15901576)
Yes, you certainly can write, but my personal experience, and I believe others here, would say that, writing to Delta will more likely get you miles - and calling the Medallion line will more likely get you a $$$ off voucher. In this case, I believe he's entitled to $$$ off by their own rules, so I suggest calling. It's much easier to pawn off SkyPesos, when there's no human to human contact. (Just my personal feelings)

Interesting distinction. Thanks for the info. :-:

akcae Feb 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Firstly, I'm kinda surprised at the animosity towards the OP for getting a $75 cert. He complained as was his right, and got compensated. We all complain sometimes (or more) when stuff happens, and sometimes get some compensation in return. Why the hate? :confused:

Secondly, just wanted to add that I got an email survey invitation from DL after my last flight from PHL was delayed for a couple of hrs (and after I was (re)booked about 4 times in the span of as many hours). I ended up delayed about 2hrs with no impact on the connection in ATL. A week later I received a letter from DL Customer Relationship apologizing for the situation and informing me that a 1000 SkyMiles will be deposited in my account. Not much, but certainly nice knowing that someone's paying attention. ^

ryandc99 Feb 20, 2011 9:59 pm

My letter was not directed at getting compensation. I didn't ask for it. I was more interested in letting them know that they had a GA who did not address the reasons for the delay and the unruly passengers that resulted because of it, and the fact that they were allowed to board.

I was expecting the typical thanks for your email reply. Not a 75$ Cert. I have never gotten one for any type of issue.

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 15902033)
Firstly, I'm kinda surprised at the animosity towards the OP for getting a $75 cert. He complained as was his right, and got compensated.

Speaking for myself, and I am unanimous in that, (ever see Mrs Slocombe? ;)) I don't really think I have any animosity toward the OP. I'm just trying to feel and understand the circumstances that took place at that gate on that day! I have a high threshhold before I write or call in a complaint, and I just don't see anything here worthy of complaining, much less getting $75 for! I always want to complain when they tell me that there's only ONE can of Coke Zero on an entire 767! But, I don't. Maybe I should! - - So, for me:

1) If you get comp - - MORE POWER TO YOU!! I certainly don't think any less of you - as a matter of fact, I'm a little jealous!

2) Should I complain more? Maybe, I dunno!

3) If I do, will I be labeled as a complainer - and have bells & whistles going off on the screen whenever I call? I certainly don't want that!

4) I usually tend to only complain when I think it's worthy of a $$$ off voucher. I really don't need any more miles, as I only redeem 1 or 2 awards a year. Maybe this thread should make me rethink my complaining "strategy"!

Thanx for listening! :)

gpscuba2000 Feb 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Supermarket vs Delta

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy (Post 15899145)
If only all industries worked like airlines...

You're are at a supermarket. There is a long line of people at the checkout line. The old lady pulls out the checkbook and writes a check. Followed by repeated price checks on items. You finally get to the checkout and the cashier, in order to apologize for the delay takes $50 off your bill and an upgrade from the no-name detergent to Tide free of charge.

I just had that experience...at the supermarket. Purchased 1/2 lb of potato salad that was on sale for $1.99 per lb if you had a loyalty card. The clerk rang me up at $1.80 When I showed her that it was 1/2 a pound and that it could not be more than $1.00 she got flustered and called the manager. She stated "what do I do?" the manager said "give it to him free" and then told me to have a nice night. I and the others in line were stunned and in contrast to some of the posters today, did not run off to buy incorrectly priced potato salad (or write a letter).
Just sayin......:D Flame on!

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 15902086)
My letter was not directed at getting compensation. I didn't ask for it. I was more interested in letting them know that they had a GA who did not address the reasons for the delay and the unruly passengers that resulted because of it, and the fact that they were allowed to board. I was expecting the typical thanks for your email reply. Not a 75$ Cert. I have never gotten one for any type of issue.

Thanx VERY MUCH for clearing that up!! :)

ryandc99 Feb 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 15902111)
3) If I do, will I be labeled as a complainer - and have bells & whistles going off on the screen whenever I call? I certainly don't want that!

Is this real? The DYKWIA insisted that it is and that he has seen the screen, which is why he never complains.

FriendlySkies Feb 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 15897047)
Wow! For that, you get $75???

Perhaps UA took over DL compensation? :D

We get $200 for a missing special meal!

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by gpscuba2000 (Post 15902115)
I just had that experience...at the supermarket. Purchased 1/2 lb of potato salad that was on sale for $1.99 per lb if you had a loyalty card. The clerk rang me up at $1.80 When I showed her that it was 1/2 a pound and that it could not be more than $1.00 she got flustered and called the manager. She stated "what do I do?" the manager said "give it to him free" and then told me to have a nice night. I and the others in line were stunned and in contrast to some of the posters today, did not run off to buy incorrectly priced potato salad (or write a letter).
Just sayin......:D Flame on!

Haha!! I was in a Jewel/Osco in Chicago, and bought a 20 oz soda. I used the self check-out, and it rang up $1.59, instead of the $1.49 that was on the tag in the cooler. The clerk came over and voided it off the bill ENTIRELY!! I asked her why, and she told me that's their pricing policy!! If it rings up differently than it's marked, you get it free! All I wanted them to do was fix the price tag, so nobody else gets peeved! I had NO idea!! :D

davetravels Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 15902131)
Is this real? The DYKWIA insisted that it is and that he has seen the screen, which is why he never complains.

YEAH!! The DRUNK GUY!! :D

ryandc99 Feb 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 15902145)
YEAH!! The DRUNK GUY!! :D

When he boards the BP scanner beeps 6 time, alerting the GA a DYKWIA is boarding.

Vuelos Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

I did not authorize you to write about me ;)

I demand compensation.

davetravels Feb 21, 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 15906476)
I did not authorize you to write about me ;)

I demand compensation.

Do you want miles, or a $$$ voucher? :p

Oakshadow Feb 21, 2011 5:54 pm

On a JFK-LAX flight, after we all boarded, there was a problem with one of the aft doors. We all sat on the aircraft for 2 hours while they, with the door wide open when it was 9 F. outside, repaired the problem. I wrote a letter of PRAISE about the FA's who were super cool and re-programmed the AVOD so all movies and TV shows were free in Y. As desired, I didn't get anything in return and hoped the FA's got some kind of internal praise.

From now on, no more Mr. Niceguy! If the flight gets me in with plenty of time to make my connection, I'm complaining!

PersonalFlotationDevice Feb 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 15898179)

Agree..."are they riding camels to the airport" may be the best FT quote of the year, DYKWIA or not...

magictrev Feb 22, 2011 10:05 am

I'm gold, just had a 10 hour delay,(mechanical issue ) emailed delta and got $200.00 voucher within 48 hours. Be neat is someone could compile a chart of what is believed to be the levels of credit based on delays?

StayingHomeIsBetter Feb 22, 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice (Post 15908413)
Agree..."are they riding camels to the airport" may be the best FT quote of the year, DYKWIA or not...

Actually, to be precise, when I read the original post, I see boorish behavior described but not DYKWIA behavior. ;)

Unless, right after the camel comment, the drunk said "And I demand that you let me board right now. I am a Diamond, and I know my rights. Bring the sedan chair immediately!" :D:rolleyes:

mdb Feb 22, 2011 10:40 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain (Post 15898179)

+1 - I agree the camel comment was pretty funny...

DLdweeb Feb 22, 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by akcae (Post 15902033)
Firstly, I'm kinda surprised at the animosity towards the OP for getting a $75 cert.

I don't think there was animosity as much as there was amazement.....

MNAudiS4 Feb 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Diamond 3MM trouble at SkyClub MSP "F" this morning? Were you a FT?

I am glad i could guest your other family members this morning. Hopefully you were a FT'er.

Agent wouldn't let a DM 3MM other two guests in, i happened to have just walked in and said i would guest them. Agents were not all that excited but did it.

mike_plat Feb 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4 (Post 15948955)
I am glad i could guest your other family members this morning. Hopefully you were a FT'er.

Agent wouldn't let a DM 3MM other two guests in, i happened to have just walked in and said i would guest them. Agents were not all that excited but did it.

I love how any SC member can bring in an unlimited number of loud, unruly children, but heaven forbid you try to bring in an extra silent adult...

itsaboutthejourney Feb 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mike_plat (Post 15948992)
I love how any SC member can bring in an unlimited number of loud, unruly children, but heaven forbid you try to bring in an extra silent adult...

especially after months of solo business travel, the one time you have 2 clients you want to bring in, you're given the upsell. Meanwhile rugrats are knocking over your roller at the door.

TATL lawyer Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4 (Post 15948955)

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 15949048)
especially after months of solo business travel, the one time you have 2 clients you want to bring in, you're given the upsell. Meanwhile rugrats are knocking over your roller at the door.

I'm not sure the fact that rugrats (aka ankle-biters :D ) are allowed in (you don't say how many) is strictly relevant, but well done MNAudiS4 for spreading the karma.

The best way to deal with small mindedness is to use charm and a smile .... AND get your own way at the end of it.

^ MNAudiS4 !