Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by edscholl
Flying LAX-KOA on 11/23, we had the window and aisle booked; getting to our seat, there were two ~7 years olds in our seats. The dad, in the row in front of us, asks if one of us would mind sitting in the middle so his kid could have the aisle and be easier to access. No problem (part of the game plan with booking window-aisle) we say. Dad sits down.

Um, dude, you have two kids here, there's two of us, and three seats... I politely ask him where his other kid was sitting. He says the row behind us. Sits back down. Hey bud, well, move them, eh? So he does, but it gets real interesting when we go to sit down. Mom, who is 4 rows back, stands up and says loudly, "OH, NICE. REAL NICE. THEY won't split up and switch rows so our kids can sit together? REAL NICE. REALLLYY NICE."

I told her nobody asked us to split up (not that we would have anyway, but hey), so if she could please could stop with the criticism, we would appreciate an apology. She sat down and ignored us. I then got annoyed and told dad his wife was a b*tch (i know, i should have bit my tongue, but jeesh), and he just sat down and shut up.
AWESOME!!!!!!

and on the return from KOA-LAX, the flight was cancelled due to mechanical. everyone lines up to talk to the gate agent, and who do i see but my good friend, ms. mom from 4 rows back. and she was easy to see because she strolled right up to the line of 50+ people and cut right in front. blah.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Sorry, but this is not a DYKWIA. You had it right the first time, she's just a B*TCH
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by edscholl
..... I then got annoyed and told dad his wife was a b*tch ....
You actually called her that in front of her children? You've lost my respect.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by roknroll
I agree, and the woman was a true a hole about it. But not having everyone seated together might not be their fault. Now a days the airlines have so many seats blocked off for elites that it is very hard for a group booking weeks in advance to get seated together.

Curious to see if the dad/mom had aisle or window seats for themselves but put the kids in random middle seats. Now if they were able to secure decent seats for themselves but put the kids in separate rows, that makes me think they screwed up.
True, one of my biggest pet peeves while traveling is people who expect others to bow down to their requests because they either didnt plan well or something like that. Regardless of how they came to be seated like that, being a b*tch because someone does not want to move seats for your kid is just stupid
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
True, one of my biggest pet peeves while traveling is people who expect others to bow down to their requests because they either didnt plan well or something like that. Regardless of how they came to be seated like that, being a b*tch because someone does not want to move seats for your kid is just stupid
Their lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Mother/daughter team on MCO-JFK last night. Had a dog in a carrier that they had to be told over and over to put under the seat(which itdid nit fit and thus blocked their walkway.... Also the FA told them over and over to turn off their cell phones both upon taxiing out and while landing. Even after being told sternly, they insisted on playing with them during landing.

Forget whether this is a hazzard or not, these two were either ignorant or just plain above the law in their minds..... Why are people so stubborn and self righteous to the point that they think rules do not apply to them?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Their lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.....
One of my favorite sayings! ^
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Some of these cases a fairly egregious, with plenty of documentation.

Verbally abusing (yelling, cursing, throwing paper at) GAs or FAs should be a terminable offense.

DYKWIA types, such as the one, above, act like this because they know they can.
Right, but I think that you are going to have a problem differentiating between these truly egregious and well documented cases and those in which things are quite a bit more imprecise. Entrusting Delta CSR's to make these judgments and far reaching decisions based on extremely limited information is just a recipe for disaster, as it exposes Delta to both reputational and legal risks.

Frankly, while I did not read through every single post in this thread, some of the ones that I have read here are not all that clear. I tend to withhold judgment until I have all the facts, which means hearing what the other side has to say, as I have routinely seen and dealt with situations which seemed very clear when they were presented by one side only to find out that the situation was actually very different than it first appeared.

I will also say that while the circumstances that gave rise to this thread were certainly understandable, at this point the thread has largely become a b*&tch fest of people who are airing out their grievances against others. As such, I am not sure that this continues to be a productive thread, especially since some of the posters here could themselves easily become rather prominent examples of DYKWIA behavior.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Yup, and just having them be in your seat immediately doesn't help your case.

If I take my seat and someone politely asks if they would like to switch to seat #X, I would consider it. If someone was in my seat because they would assume I would do it for them and they say "Oh hey would you want to move to #X" I would say no because it's rude and arrogant to just assume that someone would do that.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
^ It was probably someone to cheap to pay the extra $10 or so for premium seats and they were hoping others would swith seats to accomodate them.

One of the benefits of me flying Delta 80 to 100,000 miles a year is being able to select premuim seats at the time of booking. This summer Mrs. Reds and I were travelling together in EC and we had a person get nasty with us because we wouldn't split up so family could sit together. Mrs Reds and I had the aisle and middle seat and their kid has our window and mom and dad had the window and middle in the row across from ours. They asked the man in the aisle if he would change seats with their kid so they could sit together and he said he wanted an aisle seat. They asked my wife and I to switch seats and my wife has an overactive bladder and needs to get up a lot and we didn't want to disturb a person in the aisle seat and besides that I want an aisle seat and we said no. They started complaining about how they were silver "elites" and they paid good money for the seats and Delta wasn't a very friendly airline The kid was old enough he didn't need to sit with mom and dad, and even if he did, mom or dad could have switched seats with him and he would have been sitting with one parent.

Last month was a long LAX/DTW redeye on a PAID first class ticket. A guy and his son cleared at the gate and I could have kicked myself for paying for a first class ticket since he had a gold tag on his bag and I am a PM and I am pretty sure his son was non-status. But I had paid for a first class ticket so I could be comfortable on an long overnight flight, and whilst I like aisle seats, on a redeye if I am going to be sleeping I prefer a window seat, and wanted to make sure I had a window seat as well. I had 2A, dad gets 2B and son gets 4B and dad asked me to switch seats with his son and I declined. He asked 4A to switch seats with him so he could sit with his son, and 4a declines as well. He gets on the cell phone with who I assume is his wife and starts complaining that Delta should hold seats together and how they are split up. He starts complaining to me after he is off the phone that since Delta had six seats open before clearing the upgrade seat they should have at least two seats of seats together blocked for families

I also had a MSP/LAS or LAS/MSP flight where I cleared at the window and changed my seat to 2B or 2C as soon as I received the email I cleared (was an even number flight so I was hoping to receive my meal selection as well) and a guy and his partner cleared at the gate and one of them received the window seat in 2 and the other one received a back row window and my seatmate got mad that I wouldn't give up a 2nd row aisle for a backrow window on an even number flight The person in the aisle in the back also refused to move. Again I heard a complaint about how Delta should hold back rows of seats together for gate upgrades If it's that important for two people to sit together on a flight, then they should just decline the upgrade and sit together in coach. If this happens to me again, I am tempted to tell the person to talk to the two people that have their coach seats and I am sure they would be happy to sit apart in First class and give them their two coach seats together
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Wink From years ago...

I'd just made SM for the first time, so I got to stand in the (at the time) cool "I'm a frequent flyer now" check-in line at MCO. My flight has been cancelled.

Guy in front of me - on the same flight - is being rebooked by the TA and loudly states "I'm a Platinum Medallion on this airline and I demand you put me in first class!" TA: "I'm sorry sir, there are simply no seats available in first." PM asks for management, blah, blah blah. DYKWIA.

Next up: me. "Wow, that guy was really a jerk!" I say to the TA, "I hope you don't have to put up with guys like that too often". She replies that, unfortunately, all too often she does, but that it's simply part of the job. We chit-chat a bit more while she reroutes me - on the same route as the PM.

Then she says "Mr. [me], you know, I have one seat left in first on that flight, and since you've been so nice I'm going to give it to you!"

It would be my very first upgrade (or FC seat at all), ever.

It was so nice to see the PM skulk to his seat in the back while I enjoyed my Baileys and coffee. I learned a very valuable lesson that day...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Silver, Ritz-Carlton Rewards. National Car Executive
Originally Posted by spcran4d
I'd just made SM for the first time, so I got to stand in the (at the time) cool "I'm a frequent flyer now" check-in line at MCO. My flight has been cancelled.

Guy in front of me - on the same flight - is being rebooked by the TA and loudly states "I'm a Platinum Medallion on this airline and I demand you put me in first class!" TA: "I'm sorry sir, there are simply no seats available in first." PM asks for management, blah, blah blah. DYKWIA.

Next up: me. "Wow, that guy was really a jerk!" I say to the TA, "I hope you don't have to put up with guys like that too often". She replies that, unfortunately, all too often she does, but that it's simply part of the job. We chit-chat a bit more while she reroutes me - on the same route as the PM.

Then she says "Mr. [me], you know, I have one seat left in first on that flight, and since you've been so nice I'm going to give it to you!"

It would be my very first upgrade (or FC seat at all), ever.

It was so nice to see the PM skulk to his seat in the back while I enjoyed my Baileys and coffee. I learned a very valuable lesson that day...

I like your story. I have to say flying would be a more pleasant experience for everyone if people applied the Golden Rule more often.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by spcran4d
Guy in front of me - on the same flight - is being rebooked by the TA and loudly states "I'm a Platinum Medallion on this airline and I demand you put me in first class!" TA: "I'm sorry sir, there are simply no seats available in first."

Why is this behavior by a Delta line employee a good thing?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by N639DL
Yup, and just having them be in your seat immediately doesn't help your case.

If I take my seat and someone politely asks if they would like to switch to seat #X, I would consider it. If someone was in my seat because they would assume I would do it for them and they say "Oh hey would you want to move to #X" I would say no because it's rude and arrogant to just assume that someone would do that.
Exactly. Several times ive had people come up to me while im seated and ask if i wouldnt mind trading seats so they can be together and ive never had a problem. But if you just take my seat and THEN tell/ask me to move, oh he11 no.....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Why is this behavior by a Delta line employee a good thing?
Why, pray tell Bicostal, is it NOT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.