Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:14 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
Deadheading FA in uniform sitting in FC had her cell phone out and was playing Words with Friends during final approach and landing... with cell modem on sending moves.
She was doing it under the 'Alec Baldwin exemption'
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Two good ones today. Reminds me why I hate traveling in the US.

1. Check in at SFO this morning around 8am-giant tagged DM (the kind that puts the charter member tag in front of the new tag to prove to everyone that he has been a DM more than once and was part of the original clan) gets to the SP check in agent and exclaims he missed his 745am to ATL and he would like to get a seat on the 11am. As though this were a given.

The check in agent responds that the next two flights to ATL were full. He then responded "I have flown 200,000 miles this year and you're telling me you cant get me a seat?! Ridiculous. Fix it".....Im sorry, when did the amount you flew have anything to do with Delta kicking another passenger off a flight for you? And most importantly, why does anyone care?

2. Boarding begins and I am comfortably in the window seat last row of F on the ol' A320. Passenger comes up and turns to the other last row across the aisle and exclaims "Um, 3D is my seat". Now, to his credit, his seat had been poached by a women who was the other half of a 60 something year old couple, which is frustrating and this kind of entitlement is infuriating. I get that....but so is this entitlement: "Fine, ill take the other Aisle, ill give in." Then as the FA approaches, as if sensing the palpable tension in the air-he says the following loud and in the direct of the seat poacher "You know, unlike all these people, I'm a Platinum who pays for First. I should get what I deserve. Id like people to do what they are supposed to do". You mean help you remove your head from you A**?

Fly those friendly entitled skies people!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by DLATL777
2. Boarding begins and I am comfortably in the window seat last row of F on the ol' A320. Passenger comes up and turns to the other last row across the aisle and exclaims "Um, 3D is my seat". Now, to his credit, his seat had been poached by a women who was the other half of a 60 something year old couple, which is frustrating and this kind of entitlement is infuriating. I get that....but so is this entitlement: "Fine, ill take the other Aisle, ill give in." Then as the FA approaches, as if sensing the palpable tension in the air-he says the following loud and in the direct of the seat poacher "You know, unlike all these people, I'm a Platinum who pays for First. I should get what I deserve. Id like people to do what they are supposed to do". You mean help you remove your head from you A**?

Fly those friendly entitled skies people!
Had a similar situation six years ago on AirTran. I upgraded to Biz Class since AirTran had the cheap upgrades you could purchase day of travel. I had 2C for my first leg. I was one of the last to board for Biz Class and when I arrived, there was someone in my seat. Whenever this occurs, I refrain from accusing the person of seat poaching, because I do know sometimes double seat assignments happen. So I said to him "I'm in 2C. Did they assign us to the same seat?" His response was immediate and sarcastic "Are you sure you're on the right flight?!?" I responded "This is Flight XXX to Atlanta, right?" He said "Yea!" He then pulled out his boarding pass and realized 2C was his seat assignment for his second flight and that he was supposed to be in 3F. Since I prefer the window (and none were available when I purchased my upgrade so I was given an aisle seat), I said I'd take the window, but looking back I regret not making him move since he was such a jerk about it, even after I tried to be polite. Should have made him make the "Walk of Shame" in front of everyone to his correct seat.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
answered

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
. . . Should have made him make the "Walk of Shame" in front of everyone to his correct seat?

[above] . . . I prefer the window.
Answered your own question .
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:07 pm

After reading parts of this thread, I need to revise my idea about what "DYKWIA" means.

I had thought it meant someone who invoked a sense of his/her importance (which may or may not be real) to get some kind of special treatment.

But this seems incorrect; although some of the stories in this thread do indeed involve people who feel it necessary to mention how often they fly, how much they spend on the airline, what their status in the frequent-flyer programme is, what their job is, etc., some seem to involve people who did not make any effort to communicate, verbally or non-verbally, with another person at all. (Maybe they're too important to talk to other people?) Apparently, anyone who takes any action at all, that an observer suspects, without a shred of evidence, might possibly be motivated by a sense of self-importance, is a DYKWIA.

In fact, it seems even more general than that. You don't actually need to do anything to be a DYKWIA. If someone suspects that you might think you're an important person, then you're a DYKWIA.

I've seen so many DYKWIAs. One person asked the flight attendant for a second drink! What a DYKWIA. At the gate once, I saw someone ask the GA if the flight would be boarding soon - what a DYKWIA! The last airplane I was on, there were several dozen DYKWIAs who thought they were too important to fly in economy. Can you believe it? One I saw a person asleep in his seat, but I'll bet that DYKWIA was dreaming about what an important person he was. And why was he asleep anyway? Too important to pay attention to the other passengers?

Come to think of it, why do you people fly on airplanes anyway? Are you too important to take the bus? And even if you've never even flown, you've probably thought about it, you DYKWIA.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AKC6
Answered your own question .
I know. But it was a night flight so having the window was less of an issue, and with the way the clown tried to embarrass me in front of the Biz Class cabin (he was not quiet in his tone at all and instead announced it in a way that brought attention to the entire cabin), I sometimes regret not making him make the Walk of Shame in front of all the passengers he tried to embarrass me in front of. Oh well... I took the window seat and life went on.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by pinworm
Not something that happened to me, but to a co-worker around 2003/04. He was a young looking guy and was sitting in F during boarding beside a slightly older guy, perhaps in his mid 50's. People are shuffling past.

A soldier in uniform boards. The older man turned to my co-worker and stared at him for a few seconds. The co-worker finally couldn't stand it anymore and asked "What??". The older man said "You should honor that soldier for his service. Why don't you give him your seat?". My co-worker asked him "Agreed about the service...but if you feel so strongly about it, why don't you give him yours?". The older man got angry and said "No way, I am FULL FARE, you're just upgraded aren't you??".

So much for honor I guess. Nice that he would demand someone ELSE do it.

The closest I ever came to such as situation was the guy beside me in F on a TPAC who asked me to switch with his wife. Upon further questioning he revealed that she was in the last row of coach (he didn't give up that tidbit of information easily). When I suggested that he ask one of her coach seatmates to switch with him so he could sit back there with her, he said "No way am I going to do this flight in coach.". Ahh. I see. Absurd of me to suggest it. But I would???
I have had the same "coach to first poach" on many occasions when traveling by myself.

My favorite is the spouse who is standing right in your seat, hands you a boarding pass saying "you'll be sitting back there because this is my (husband/wife/whatever)" and proceeds to sit down. Another is the "parents" who expect you to give up your first class seat so that L'il Snookums can join daddy or mommy up front. Then comes the Boarding Pass KGB operatives who keep trying to look at your boarding pass like they are going to enforce the rules instead of the gate agent. Another favorite subspecies of DYKWIA's are the kettles who heard the word "upgrade" once in an article from a May 1963 "Look" magazine and think they can lie their way to first class by telling the gate agent it's their anniversary, honeymoon, fifth time they have flown in 38 years, whatever. The final ones are the DYKWIA's who are flying standby and glare into everyone's eyes while boarding into first class, insulted and screaming to someone on their cellphones that the gate agent just doesn't realize how important his/her business is to the airline.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by pharmalady
I have had the same "coach to first poach" on many occasions when traveling by myself.

My favorite is the spouse who is standing right in your seat, hands you a boarding pass saying "you'll be sitting back there because this is my (husband/wife/whatever)" and proceeds to sit down. Another is the "parents" who expect you to give up your first class seat so that L'il Snookums can join daddy or mommy up front.
This blows my mind. I haven't seen it happen but I can't believe anyone EVER would think you would go back to economy from first so they can sit together. No... if you want to sit together then send the hot blonde in economy up here to sit with me. That should get you an extra seat to sit together back therel
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I had a reverse DYKWIA on my flight today.

DTW-SLC. A very, shall I say, "rough around the edges" couple boarded into FC behind me with a miniature Schnauzer in tow. They sat in the bulkhead CD seats, and I was in A, and I could smell the cigarette smoke rolling off of them. I was really happy when the FA moved them because they had the dog. Every other word out of this guy's mouth was "f*** this" or "G** d*** plane" or "bullsh**." I'm from Boston, and it was more cursing than I've heard in awhile!

This is only a DYKWIA situation because the guy walked onto the plane complaining, "First class used to be worth something." Well, sir, when they let people with your sailor's vocabulary and your general attitude sit there, the worth of FC is greatly diminished. Please try to act like you've been there before.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by eturowski
...couple boarded into FC behind me with a miniature Schnauzer in tow. They sat in the bulkhead CD seats, and I was in A. I was really happy when the FA moved them because they had the dog.
I thought dogs (in a carrier) are allowed in either cabin, but just not in exit row seats. (There is a limit on the NUMBER of dogs in the first-class cabin, I think.)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I believe the dog has to fit under the seat in front of them, but there is nowhere to put a pet in a bulkhead row.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
I believe the dog has to fit under the seat in front of them, but there is nowhere to put a pet in a bulkhead row.
Right. I should have clarified. The FA put them in row 2 instead of the bulkhead.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Right. I should have clarified. The FA put them in row 2 instead of the bulkhead.
I was on a 5:45AM flight last week when someone brought 2 small dogs...the smell of the dog food was unbearable. Maybe not a DYKWIA, but certainly unconsiderate.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by tikiboy
I was on a 5:45AM flight last week when someone brought 2 small dogs...the smell of the dog food was unbearable. Maybe not a DYKWIA, but certainly unconsiderate.
Be thankful that's all you smelled.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Howste
Not a DYKWIA case but to your point...a few years ago I was flying ATL-FCO on an I fare, traveling alone, seated in 2C. FA approaches after I boarded saying "hello, nice lady!," my first thought is they want to move me for people traveling together...I like my aisle-next-to-aisle TATL. Turns out, 1 C/E were traveling w their cat, they needed to stow him in front of my seat for takeoff & landing. No problem! The cat was a great traveler, he 'spoke' English & Italian (I tried both on him) & seemed fairly well medicated enough once in flight that we never heard a peep from him. Many travelers could learn a lot from him and from his cat parents who were gracious to other pax and caring to the cat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.