Million miler means something

Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Million miler means something

I was on the 6.00 am flight this morning IND-ATL and it was full of non-revs. OK fair enough. The flight attendant at 10K feet made the usual welcome Skymiles speech etc. He then said we have seven medallion members on our flight today and one who has made million miler status. We really do thank you and appreciate tour business and loyalty.

This is the first time I have specifically heard an FA mention the actual number of medallions aboard and a special mention to the million miler. I thought it was a nice touch. It was a DC9-50 aircraft and only 7 medallions. I bet you all can guess where the non-revs sat. A Redcoat came on the plane to oversee the process and chat to his colleagues and friends. - and it was not at the back of the aircraft.

ps I am writing this in the B8 SC in ATL
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Had the same happen Monday on a flight from CMH to ATL. Our flight apparently had 25 medallions (and the FA gave the breakdown too) and 4 million milers. I thought it was a nice touch.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
possibly a Delta trend? I will keep a watchful eye.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
I wondered but it did not occur on the other 3 segments this week. I hope it is a trend though.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
[QUOTE=GRALISTAIR;18082049]I was on the 6.00 am flight this morning IND-ATL and it was full of non-revs....

... I bet you all can guess where the non-revs sat. A Redcoat came on the plane to oversee the process and chat to his colleagues and friends. - and it was not at the back of the aircraft.
[/tQUOTE]

So you were working the gate & scanning boarding passes to know the flight was 'full' of non revs & to know where all of them were seated? Good to know. At the ATL FT meet & greet this week someone asked if instead of a larger event where 100 FT'ers could be gate agents for the day at one airport, maybe DL would support 1 person being GA for the day at 100 different airports? Clearly you did that today so the answer must be, yes, Dovster, it is possible! ^

Last edited by PRWeezer; Feb 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I heard this announcement on my JFK-ATL flight 2 weeks ago.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
I have heard this at least a dozen times within the past year. If memory serves me they were all young crew. Maybe part of their training that "wears off" over time?

I always find it interesting how many are on the flights. I can usually get a good idea from the 53 person deep upgrade list

I like it and hope it happens more often. Keeps the announcements less mundane.

Foo
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
So you were working the gate & scanning boarding passes to know the flight was 'full' of non revs & to know where all of them were seated?
Simple math: 16 F seats - 7 Medallions = 9 F seats for non-revs. (Yes, with a few assumptions.)

On a related note, it seems like SkyClub agents are going out of their way now to recognize my status & thank me for my business. It's a nice touch, on and off the plane.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:03 pm

I'm pretty certain I've seen MM status noted on passenger manifests, along with Elite Status (which is definitely always displayed on their printouts).
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Simple math: 16 F seats - 7 Medallions = 9 F seats for non-revs. (Yes, with a few assumptions.)

On a related note, it seems like SkyClub agents are going out of their way now to recognize my status & thank me for my business. It's a nice touch, on and off the plane.
The OP said the flight was "full" of non revs & suggested they all sat up front. As I said, if the OP was scanning BPs & noted all of the non revs & where they were seated, and didn't process any upgrades at the gate (per his/her telling)... that's up to him/her to come back w those details.

Last edited by PRWeezer; Feb 25, 2012 at 8:24 pm Reason: ...punctuation...
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
Originally Posted by irfan23
Had the same happen Monday on a flight from CMH to ATL. Our flight apparently had 25 medallions (and the FA gave the breakdown too) and 4 million milers. I thought it was a nice touch.
I have heard a break down on a couple of flights recently. Esp when there were quite a few Plat & DMs. Quite a few did not make the upgrade, including me. LOL
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:01 pm

We'd like to thank our SkyMiles medallion members joining us on board today, especially those seated in our BusinessElite cabin, your business and loyalty are greatly appreciated, especially by the majority of the BE cabin who is getting the exact same seat you paid $2,000/437808324897 miles for for free. They already enjoy free bags and priority boarding, and now for those of you seated in our economy cabin, you can too! with the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card from American Express! Sign up on today's flight and receive not only double miles but we'll wisk you to your destination on arrival in a Porsche! And then we'll let you keep the Porsche, filled with Delta Sky Club passes for you and everybody you've ever talked to! Enjoy a drink and relax between flights in our spacious clubs, with a large food selection, liberal policies about footwear, and blazing fast internet!

...and then I woke up. And realized that this might very well be the Monday announcement.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta
Just out of interest, how long has it taken for you MM'ers to reach the status?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Bioidec
Took me about 7 years to hit my first MM and less than 3 to reach 2 MM (as of next Friday).
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Bioidec
Hard to say.

Probably something like 8 or 9 years per million on DL/NWA although I cut way down on my travel after DL jacked up J class fares and made it so hard to UG internationally. Now that I'm on UA, it is so much easier to get into the front of the plane that I fly a lot more (4x miles and 10x spend compared to what I was doing my last year on DL) so I'll probably hit 1MM on UA next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.