U fare = 0 miles?

Old Feb 23, 12, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, IHG Spire ambassador, Hilton gold, Bonvoy??? Platinum
Angry U fare = 0 miles?

My company travel agency had some special tickets (warning) that they wanted to use for my latest business trip. It turned out that I was only charged taxes, with a $0 fare. It booked into U fare, so I thought I would be getting miles (medalion and pesos).

I checked my account today, and it is listed as 0 miles, fare basis not eligable for credit.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old Feb 23, 12, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
A typical "U" fare earns miles.

Perhaps this was a consolidator fare of some sort...although I'm not sure of what class these show up as, I'm pretty sure they do not earn mileage credit.

You could always submit your BP's and a request for mileage credit.
Old Feb 23, 12, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, IHG Spire ambassador, Hilton gold, Bonvoy??? Platinum
Thanks. I thought U fare received miles also. I am waiting to see how the return flight posts before I request the missing mileage.
Old Feb 23, 12, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
SkyBonus voucher and so no miles and the U fare.

Fare basis not eligible for mileage credit 0
Class Paid/Flown : U/U
Old Feb 23, 12, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL FO MM, AA EXP MM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
It might have been a Skybonus ticket, they do not earn miles
Old Feb 23, 12, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
On a slight tangent:

Does DL ever provide mileage credit on a PNR that isn't borne of cold... hard... cash?

I would expect mileage credit on a eCert or eCredit that came from a cash fare that was not flown for whatever reason...

I would NOT expect mileage credit for Pay With Miles, Award Tickets, or eCert/Credit for same.

I read the OP and saw that the only expediture was "It turned out that I was only charged taxes"... My reaction was essentially, "Pay nothing. Get nothing."

Am I missing something?
Old Feb 23, 12, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
You can always try resubmitting for mileage credit, but if it is a skybonus ticket then no miles.
Old Feb 23, 12, 6:58 pm

Sure sounds like a "best in class" frequent flyer program to me.
Old Feb 23, 12, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by msn bubba View Post
My company travel agency had some special tickets (warning) that they wanted to use for my latest business trip. It turned out that I was only charged taxes, with a $0 fare. It booked into U fare, so I thought I would be getting miles (medalion and pesos).

I checked my account today, and it is listed as 0 miles, fare basis not eligable for credit.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Call DL and ask before you make a false submission. Chances are that if it was a free ticket, you don't (and should not) earn miles.

Blame your employer, not DL.
Old Feb 23, 12, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bartendress View Post
On a slight tangent:

Does DL ever provide mileage credit on a PNR that isn't borne of cold... hard... cash?

I would expect mileage credit on a eCert or eCredit that came from a cash fare that was not flown for whatever reason...

I would NOT expect mileage credit for Pay With Miles, Award Tickets, or eCert/Credit for same.

I read the OP and saw that the only expediture was "It turned out that I was only charged taxes"... My reaction was essentially, "Pay nothing. Get nothing."

Am I missing something?
A TCV will still earn you mileage credit if the fare purchased is eligible. (VDB vouchers, customer care vouchers, etc.). A bit different from a residual eCredit, but still along the lines of a "free" ticket. (There are also plenty here who would argue that an award ticket is not a free ticket.)

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 23, 12 at 7:50 pm
Old Feb 23, 12, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by starflyer View Post
I don't know of any program (significant carrier) where you get miles on a free ticket.
Old Feb 23, 12, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I don't know of any program (significant carrier) where you get miles on a free ticket.
Right.

It sounds like its the employer's responsibility, not DL in this case, considering the employer booked the ticket...likely using SkyBonus.

Old Feb 24, 12, 12:00 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Most certainly is a Skybonus ticket. If you go to the program's website and select rewards and then coach ticket, you will see that they book into U class and DO NOT accrue skymiles.
Old Feb 24, 12, 5:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota View Post
Most certainly is a Skybonus ticket. If you go to the program's website and select rewards and then coach ticket, you will see that they book into U class and DO NOT accrue skymiles.
Nor are they eligible for upgrade
Old Feb 24, 12, 8:38 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by starflyer View Post
Voucher travel aside, why would you expect to receive MQMs for a flight where DL isn't receiving a penny for putting your butt in a seat? I'm not sure any FF programs let you earn EQMs/MQMs on an award ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: