Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:44 pm

Correct

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Assume you meant SLC.

And yes, you can "sign up" on the Delta website, but only if you have a known traveller number by virtue of being a Nexus or Global Entry member. You "sign up" on the Delta website by putting said number in your Skymiles profile.
You are not selected by any other criteria but being a "known" traveler through association with Nexus, Privum or Global Entry. Once you are cleared, pay your 100 dollar initiation fee to be part of the club, you can dive right in to the TSA pre-approved line. Another way for the government to make a buck, in my humble opinion. And you'll pay it, because you care to be elite.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:48 pm

Not true.

Originally Posted by LBJ
As a DM, it's quite possible he was pre-selected by Delta and will not need to enter a Known Traveler Number in his profile. If pre-selected, you just need to enter your name, gender and birthdate in your profile and check the box to allow Delta to share it with TSA. The OP should check his email to see if he's received any correspondence from Delta about it.
You cannot be "pre-selected" by Delta without a Known Traveler Number in the profile, as reported to me by Delta "higher ups". No favorites in the government approved program.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
Never received an email from anyone, didn't sign up through the DL website and am not a member of Global Entry (yet). It just magically happened one day (and continues to). So cool that I can actually go through security with real shoes. Not that it makes much difference when I'm traveling with others--still have to wait on the other side.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drpsych
You cannot be "pre-selected" by Delta without a Known Traveler Number in the profile, as reported to me by Delta "higher ups". No favorites in the government approved program.
Absolutely not true. I was pre-selected by Delta and have used the Pre-check lane a number of times without a Trusted Traveler Number in my profile. I only have my name, gender, and birthdate listed in my profile. They sent out an invitation email to those who made the cut. Initially I believe it was Plats and higher, but later Golds reported getting the invite as well.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pragakhan
Would my wife, non-elite on my PNR have this privilege too?
No, being on the same PNR will not provide Pre-Check lane access. Each person has to individually enrolled and authorized for Pre-Check. They will give you the option of using the Pre-Check lane yourself, but your spouse will have to use the normal lanes.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by drpsych
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Assume you meant SLC.

And yes, you can "sign up" on the Delta website, but only if you have a known traveller number by virtue of being a Nexus or Global Entry member. You "sign up" on the Delta website by putting said number in your Skymiles profile.
You are not selected by any other criteria but being a "known" traveler through association with Nexus, Privum or Global Entry. Once you are cleared, pay your 100 dollar initiation fee to be part of the club, you can dive right in to the TSA pre-approved line. Another way for the government to make a buck, in my humble opinion. And you'll pay it, because you care to be elite.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
It is a totally random selection process on the day of travel (with no way of knowing if you are selected until you get to security).

I am 2/5 since paying my $100 to join the club.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL GE
Very informative, very sad information

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Had to a chance to try it out twice, once in ATL and once in DTW. First time in ATL wasn't told anything and was directed to the normal line. In DTW I was also directed to the normal line, but I then asked "aren't I approved for the Pre program?" or something along those lines. TSA agent said "oh, I didn't check" scanned my BP again and directed me to the Pre line.

Wonder if it's "random" based on if the TSA bothers checking the results of scanning the BP. I even saw someone who was told to go to the regular line, cut over to the pre line and seemingly went through with no trouble.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Had to a chance to try it out twice, once in ATL and once in DTW. First time in ATL wasn't told anything and was directed to the normal line. In DTW I was also directed to the normal line, but I then asked "aren't I approved for the Pre program?" or something along those lines. TSA agent said "oh, I didn't check" scanned my BP again and directed me to the Pre line.

Wonder if it's "random" based on if the TSA bothers checking the results of scanning the BP. I even saw someone who was told to go to the regular line, cut over to the pre line and seemingly went through with no trouble.
In ATL it is cut and dry. You go to the North security line, where you have to scan your BP (like at the actual checkpoint). If it beeps 3 times, you get the Pre-check line, otherwise you get assigned to either elite or regular line.
The machine at the front of the line in ATL Will also beep 3x when they check your ID to confirm.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:52 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Absolutely not true. I was pre-selected by Delta and have used the Pre-check lane a number of times without a Trusted Traveler Number in my profile. I only have my name, gender, and birthdate listed in my profile. They sent out an invitation email to those who made the cut. Initially I believe it was Plats and higher, but later Golds reported getting the invite as well.
The above is correct. I am not enrolled in Nexus, Privum, or Global Entry. When the TSA Pre-Check program was announced a few months ago I was invited to "opt in," which, as I recall, consisted of checking a box or replying to the Delta email and making sure I had the necessary info in my profile. The letter said that participants in the trial program could qualify either by being PM or DM or by being enrolled in a program such as Global Entry.

Since I heard nothing further (there may have been a vague message about the start of the program at MSP) I wasn't certain I was really in the program, but when I flew out of MSP a few days ago I was selected for Pre-Check that day. Since selection on any given day is apparently random, now we can obsess before each trip about both upgrades and Pre-Check!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by 14940674
How did AA know you were a GE member? Since it wasn't in your profile, did you enter the PASSID when making the booking?
They didn't know and were not involved, that's the point. I simply walked to the PreCheck line, showed my GE card and BP, and strolled in. I asked a two striper who was watching things and she said no it didn't even need to be an AA BP, GE was sufficient.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Did you fill out your Secure Flight Passenger Data profile and select the TSA consent check-box on delta.com? Are your flights all domestic? PreCheck does not apply if you have any international segments. The only time I have missed was when I had an international segment.
Definitely opted in and entered my GE number, but....... It was an International flight
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
They didn't know and were not involved, that's the point. I simply walked to the PreCheck line, showed my GE card and BP, and strolled in. I asked a two striper who was watching things and she said no it didn't even need to be an AA BP, GE was sufficient.
That TDC doesn't seem to understand TSA policy. You should never allowed into the PreCheck line based on showing a TT card. You are supposed to submit your eligibility information to the airline. Then, if randomly selected, your status will be encoded into the BP. That is the only way it should work, officially.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Random selection?

I just completed my GOES interview in DTW yesterday, and I was told that I can use the PreCheck line. She told me to enter my number on my profile, and my BP will reflect that I am approved.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, LH Freq Traveller
the actual process is great, but since it started in MSP, I think I've got about a 10% success rate. The are a couple things that irk me however:

1. The security guards aren't even sure what the line is. Numerous times I hear them give random descriptions about what the line is for. Today, I heard one ask what line it even was!

2. Today at MSP, the Priority lane was ram packed from both ends, yet the TSA Pre Check lane had two people go through it in 20 minutes. What kind of testing is it when you let approximately 1-5% of your traffic through? That number may make sense in a public security line, but a priority one...I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.