Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jsbh
There was an actual line at BOS PreCheck this morning. Still, under 5 minutes
Oddly enough, that's a "good thing". Last thing we need is for TSA to cancel the program due to a lack of people opting-in.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
On my way in discovered that the Pre checkpoint has moved.
Ya -- they did this move on Nov 28. The past two Mondays I've noticed a marked improvement. With 4 lanes and 3 ID checkers down the chute, you're through in about 5 minutes even if there's a line.

Matt
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Janus
Oddly enough, that's a "good thing". Last thing we need is for TSA to cancel the program due to a lack of people opting-in.
TSA is just like every other government agency...they look for any excuse for "more people," "more funding," so don't expect this program to ever go away just by lack of participation...this isn't CLEAR.

Take away the PreCheck lanes and they don't lose staff, they simply shuffle those clerks to more busy work. Whether it's roaming the terminal, or doing more of the gate checks that annoy passengers to no end.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I had heard from one of the id checkers that they were planning to change the ATL pre-check setup. So when I saw the new location I was happy that I didn't have to trudge all the way to the south check-in. My mood was quickly dampened when the screener told me I couldn't use pre-check today. She could see the look on my face and reminded me that "it's random." I replied with "yeah, random disappointment." So much for boasting to my sister (who was traveling with me) that I didn't have to jump through all the hoops that she'd have to deal with in the regular security line.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by enigmamatt
Ya -- they did this move on Nov 28. The past two Mondays I've noticed a marked improvement. With 4 lanes and 3 ID checkers down the chute, you're through in about 5 minutes even if there's a line.

Matt
Ahh, I'd (luckily) only had driving trips since Thanksgiving. Good to hear that it's even better. IME, even the old line wasn't ever too terrible (especially compared to the SP and regular lines at the same time), but every bit counts.

Per the later posts, I'd much rather see TSA preparing to ramp UP this program than shuffle it off to a corner where it might shrivel up and die.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:02 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Originally Posted by Howste
I just looked at my barcode. You're right that the format seems to have changed. Most of the information is recognizable, but it's probably still in there somewhere.

I just compared with an old boarding pass. There used to be a 29, then 13 spaces, then the 3 we've all been looking for. Now I see that there is a 29, my 13-digit ticket number, and a 3. I'm guessing that maybe that's it.
That is correct. Basically the 13 spaces are filled now. 3 on end is still yes. 0 is still no. My wife and were booked on the same itinerary. She got a 3 and I got 0 for the first time.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Just got to the ATL T SC. On my way in discovered that the Pre checkpoint has moved. I asked one of the pre-TDC scanner ladies and they said the move was permanent.

Instead of going all the way to the east end of the south terminal hallway, you turn left at a PreCheck sign (coming from MARTA) and dive down one of those side hallways, maybe 50 yds from where the pre-TDC scanners used to be. If you're coming from the curb, basically go to the left of the SP check-in counters rather than the right. The hallway shoots you to a dedicated lane at the far right of the main checkpoint, completely separated from regular security by those glass walls.

I kind of like the new lane. It looked like they had the ability to run two belts/WTMDs at a time if necessary, and on the other side you've still got easy access to T-gates by shunting off to the right. The pre-TDC scanners are far enough back where they can still redirect to normal security or SP, except that you have further to walk to get to the non-Pre lanes now. And it looked like at the old south checkpoint that had restarted using the middle lane for SP, which will hopefully make things there go faster. TSOs looked somewhat unhappy to be walled off over there, but part of that may have been that it was just past 5am when I wandered through.
Correct
Pre Check is now where strollers and wheel chairs went and I think still do.
Should be a little shorter walk for most.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:55 pm

News is reporting, TSA PreCheck program kicks off today at FLL airport.

Report in!

I'll have the opportunity to try it next week.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jackal
Ignore the chart on TSA's site.

If:

a) the airline participates in PreCheck (DL does), and
b) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (PHL does), and
c) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport.

At PHL, the C concourse checkpoint has PreCheck. Delta departs from D. However, all concourses are connected behind security, so you can use the C checkpoint, take advantage of your PreCheck benefits, and then cross over to the D concourse. (It's not that far of a walk, and the D security lines can get pretty long even for elites, so I would definitely try it.)
Just to confirm...this does indeed work for PHL. This morning, I went to the C Precheck checkpoint with my DL BP, got the triple beep, and walked over to the D concourse once through security. The only catch is that I'm not sure if you can make the walk from the DL check in counter to the C checkpoint outside security without actually going outside, so if you're checking a bag, it may be tricky.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just to confirm...this does indeed work for PHL. This morning, I went to the C Precheck checkpoint with my DL BP, got the triple beep, and walked over to the D concourse once through security. The only catch is that I'm not sure if you can make the walk from the DL check in counter to the C checkpoint outside security without actually going outside, so if you're checking a bag, it may be tricky.
Now I feel shamed because Jackal posted the suggestion in response to my question and I didn't report back. I didn't try it because when my wife and I showed up for security we walked right through the regular gates. Wish I had tried jsut for the experience.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by yamaka
Now I feel shamed because Jackal posted the suggestion in response to my question and I didn't report back. I didn't try it because when my wife and I showed up for security we walked right through the regular gates. Wish I had tried jsut for the experience.
I'm gonna try it in a couple weeks...
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
We get Pre coded on our BP's all the time for airports which don't have Pre such as MSY and ONT
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:35 pm

Pre was a ghost town at FLL today while other lines were long. I need to get my middle name on my profile. Either that or just unlucky on my first try.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
TSA at MCO was very confused today.

My itinerary was MCO-LGA-YYZ, which is of course not eligible for Pre even though I have Nexus/GE. I went through the Priority line, the boarding pass beeped three times, and the TSA guy said I could go to the Pre line. I told him that I wasn't flying completely domestic so I didn't think it would work, but he assured me I could go over there.

So, I went to the Pre line, the guy there was very puzzled, we both agreed I shouldn't be there, and he sent me back to Priority. When I got up to the original guy again he was being sent back to speak to a supervisor.

The whole thing only cost me maybe 5 minutes, so I found it more amusing than anything else.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kitkat77

My itinerary was MCO-LGA-YYZ, which is of course not eligible for Pre even though I have Nexus/GE. I went through the Priority line, the boarding pass beeped three times, and the TSA guy said I could go to the Pre line. I told him that I wasn't flying completely domestic so I didn't think it would work, but he assured me I could go over there.

So, I went to the Pre line, the guy there was very puzzled, we both agreed I shouldn't be there, and he sent me back to Priority. When I got up to the original guy again he was being sent back to speak to a supervisor.

The whole thing only cost me maybe 5 minutes, so I found it more amusing than anything else.
Did your MCO-LGA BP indicate anything about flying to YYZ? If not, I would have kept my mouth shut about flying to Canada. The three beeps would have let you through..
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by kitkat77

MCO has a priority line?

There's the TSA-Pre check lane, the CLEAR lane, and then everyone else. There is no Sky Priority lane at MCO, unless something changed in the last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.