Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old Oct 25, 12, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by yamaka View Post
I think that was the deal at SLC. Now I know. Next week I go to Philadelphia. Wish they had it there for Delta, but apparently only USAir elite are elgibile.

Thanks for all the insights.
Ignore the chart on TSA's site.

If:

a) the airline participates in PreCheck (DL does), and
b) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (PHL does), and
c) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport.

At PHL, the C concourse checkpoint has PreCheck. Delta departs from D. However, all concourses are connected behind security, so you can use the C checkpoint, take advantage of your PreCheck benefits, and then cross over to the D concourse. (It's not that far of a walk, and the D security lines can get pretty long even for elites, so I would definitely try it.)
Old Oct 25, 12, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Ignore the chart on TSA's site.

If:

a) the airline participates in PreCheck (DL does), and
b) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (PHL does), and
c) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport.

At PHL, the C concourse checkpoint has PreCheck. Delta departs from D. However, all concourses are connected behind security, so you can use the C checkpoint, take advantage of your PreCheck benefits, and then cross over to the D concourse. (It's not that far of a walk, and the D security lines can get pretty long even for elites, so I would definitely try it.)
Will do. Thanks again!

This is why I constantly read FT, even though I don't post much.
Old Oct 25, 12, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
There are ways around the "rule," though, to see if you have PreCheck enabled. I'm not sure if it's been discussed in this thread, but it has been talked about in the corresponding United PreCheck thread.
It is in this thread. I posted it here.
Old Oct 26, 12, 8:55 am

Sorry I'm asking a (probably) redundant question: I just achieved GM and fly out of DTW often. Is the precheck lane just the same as the Sky Priority lane located on the ticketing level between the Sky Priority and regular check in? Kind of right in the middle? Everywhere just says "checkpoint 2" but that means nothing to me.
If so does that mean really the only way to find out if I've been enrolled by delta is to just keep going through SP lane and they will tell me what to do after that and if I have pre check?
Old Oct 26, 12, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The "rule" is that you don't know if you get precheck until the TSA agent scans your boarding pass. If the agent didn't scan your pass, then you were potentially misdirected to the regular lane. The agent needs to scan your pass, and if you get the triple beep, then you're good, and if you get the single beep, then they can direct you to the non-PreCheck lane.

I don't think being on the same PNR has anything to do with it.

There are ways around the "rule," though, to see if you have PreCheck enabled. I'm not sure if it's been discussed in this thread, but it has been talked about in the corresponding United PreCheck thread.
Pretty easy to see. You can run your barcode from your OLCI BP through a scanner that reads PDF417. There are even online tools that do this. Pretty laughable that all they did was put a 3 in there to tell the scanner how many times to beep.
Old Oct 26, 12, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by stils View Post
Sorry I'm asking a (probably) redundant question: I just achieved GM and fly out of DTW often. Is the precheck lane just the same as the Sky Priority lane located on the ticketing level between the Sky Priority and regular check in? Kind of right in the middle? Everywhere just says "checkpoint 2" but that means nothing to me.
If so does that mean really the only way to find out if I've been enrolled by delta is to just keep going through SP lane and they will tell me what to do after that and if I have pre check?
Yeah, DTW doesn't have a separate lane. You have to wait in the regular SP queue on the upper level and then when your boarding pass is scanned if you get the three beeps they will direct you to go to the far left lane. If not they send you into one of the other lanes.
Old Oct 26, 12, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Looks like this is now public knowledge

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Pretty easy to see. You can run your barcode from your OLCI BP through a scanner that reads PDF417. There are even online tools that do this. Pretty laughable that all they did was put a 3 in there to tell the scanner how many times to beep.
TSA PreCheck Program Security Hole Exposes Screening Status
Airline boarding passes available to participants in the TSA's PreCheck program contain unencrypted information that could be used to determine whether the person will receive expedited screening

Oct 26, 2012 | 01:44 AM | 0 Comments
By Brian Prince, Contributing Writer
Dark Reading
A program that was supposed to be a convenience for frequent airline passengers has turned into a bit of a security flap for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

The situation centers on the PreCheck program in which select passengers are allowed to receive what the TSA calls "expedited screening benefits," such as the right to leave their shoes on and keep their laptops in carry-on bags when they travel on domestic flights. The program does not guarantee such benefits will be bestowed upon the traveler each time he or she is at a designated checkpoint, and the TSA says in its description of the program that it will still use "random and unpredictable security measures" throughout the airport.

That randomness, however, may be in jeopardy. The reason is that the passenger and flight information encoded in barcode on the boarding passes PreCheck passengers receive -- which can be printed up to 24 hours before a flight -- is not encrypted. That means it can be read by those with the technical know-how, giving them a heads-up if they are going to be subjected to lesser scrutiny.

"What terrorists or really anyone can do is use a website to decode the barcode and get the flight information, put it into a text file, change the 1 to a 3, then use another website to re-encode it into a barcode," aviation blogger John Butlerwrote last week. "Finally, using a commercial photo-editing program or any program that can edit graphics replace the barcode in their boarding pass with the new one they created."

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 26, 12 at 11:32 pm Reason: Cannot post article in its entirety, and link to article added.
Old Oct 26, 12, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Teamstone:19573259

"What terrorists or really anyone can do is use a website to decode the barcode and get the flight information, put it into a text file, change the 1 to a 3, then use another website to re-encode it into a barcode," aviation blogger John Butlerwrote last week. "Finally, using a commercial photo-editing program or any program that can edit graphics replace the barcode in their boarding pass with the new one they created."
There was some discussion previously about an encrypted hash key or something in place so that even if someone edited the clear text, there would be a mismatch when it was scanned that would flag for the TSO that the bar code had been tampered with.
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL 3MM Diamond
PreCheck worst thing ever! Tired of everyone whining that they didnt get it this time or have never got it! And stop blaming the Airlines! Precheck is TSA program! And Global Entry is a completely different program for International arrivals!
Old Oct 27, 12, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
bringing medical OJ through precheck

I am a type I diabetic and like to use OJ to treat hypos if possible. When I fly on a non-delta airline I just put two juice boxes from home in their own bin, show the screener my insulin pen and they swap the juice boxes and I am on my way. If I fly Delta, it's always out of DTW and I just go to the skyclub and grab a can or two of OJ out of the fridge to take with me and am fine since I am post security and if I don't need it I just leave it behind.

I have heard from a couple people in DTW they will be doing away with the self service bars in the next year or so. If those rumors are true it will mean bringing juice boxes from home for those flights. Will I be able to use precheck and just give them the juice boxes to scan or will I have to use the other lines? Wasn't sure if that would exclude me from using precheck or not.
Old Oct 28, 12, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wonder if the article will cause TSA to change anything...
Old Oct 28, 12, 2:59 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I have heard from a couple people in DTW they will be doing away with the self service bars in the next year or so.
IIRC Salt Lake or SEA has cans of OJ. The bartenders open them or hand them out.

Either way, I'd just ask the folks at the WTMD the next time you go thru. I don't see why you couldn't use the PreCheck lane with medical liquids....
Old Oct 28, 12, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I am a type I diabetic and like to use OJ to treat hypos if possible. When I fly on a non-delta airline I just put two juice boxes from home in their own bin, show the screener my insulin pen and they swap the juice boxes and I am on my way. If I fly Delta, it's always out of DTW and I just go to the skyclub and grab a can or two of OJ out of the fridge to take with me and am fine since I am post security and if I don't need it I just leave it behind.

I have heard from a couple people in DTW they will be doing away with the self service bars in the next year or so. If those rumors are true it will mean bringing juice boxes from home for those flights. Will I be able to use precheck and just give them the juice boxes to scan or will I have to use the other lines? Wasn't sure if that would exclude me from using precheck or not.
i am type I also. you may like OJ, but getting liquids through security is dicey due to inconsistent TSA rules interpretation, and in your case in particular, the low level of competence generally displayed at DTW.

i deal with this situation with a sleeve of glucose tablets or a couple of candy bars. it causes less hassle. these things may not be as tasty as OJ, but they will cause you less grief when you inevitably run into a TSA who has no idea what he/she is doing.

just food for thought. ^
Old Oct 28, 12, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Don't some of the sandwich places in the terminal, after security, sell OJ in bottles or cans?
Old Oct 28, 12, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by BonzoESC View Post
I got it even though I'm just Silver; and I entered the Known Traveler number or whatever on AA's site and got to use the pre-check line at AA's MIA terminal.
Where did you find your Known Traveler number?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: