Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: DL-PM, SPG-Gold; HH-Dia
Originally Posted by mersk862
Not exactly clear from your post, but if you have an international leg on your PNR, you should not get PreCheck. Doesn't matter if your first leg is domestic.
That's what I asked the guy and he had said the opposite. I couldn't remember but I thought I'd heard it being denied being true earlier in the post. All my international itinerary domestic legs since pre check came to be, had started in PIT. I'm telling people in PIT TSA are utterly clueless.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
Boston pre-check has been working well for me... I sure hope they get another phone reading machine though! Between 3-5 checkers and only 1 electronic machine for Pre-check and phone BP reading!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:13 pm

So after discovering the mistake to my GOES account I requested a new ID card. Since it involved a name correction it required an extra $25 and another interview. Good thing I'm flying through NYC this next trip because the office at IAD is booked through the middle of January (besides being out of the way). My appointment is the last slot, 70 minutes after I land in JFK. Keeping my fingers crossed for no delays out of DCA.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Tried searching this thread, but no luck--

Tried adding the NEXUS PASS ID number to a DL reservation earlier today (departure is tonight). No luck: it says it can't be added within 72 hours of departure, but it can be added at check-in. When going through OLCI, there wasn't an option to edit TSA Secure Flight information, so checked with a DL agent at the ticket counter, and they had absolutely no clue what to do (didn't even know that the Trusted Traveler number had to be in the reservation or how to edit the Secure Flight information).

Is this actually how it's supposed to work? Anyone have any idea how to tell a DL agent to edit Secure Flight data?

Obviously, the solution is to add it when booking or at least more than 72 hours out, but interested if it's even possible within that 72-hour window.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by jackal
Tried searching this thread, but no luck--

Tried adding the NEXUS PASS ID number to a DL reservation earlier today (departure is tonight). No luck: it says it can't be added within 72 hours of departure, but it can be added at check-in. When going through OLCI, there wasn't an option to edit TSA Secure Flight information, so checked with a DL agent at the ticket counter, and they had absolutely no clue what to do (didn't even know that the Trusted Traveler number had to be in the reservation or how to edit the Secure Flight information).

Is this actually how it's supposed to work? Anyone have any idea how to tell a DL agent to edit Secure Flight data?

Obviously, the solution is to add it when booking or at least more than 72 hours out, but interested if it's even possible within that 72-hour window.
I've had success calling res within 72 hours of departure and having them add it to my PNR.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had success calling res within 72 hours of departure and having them add it to my PNR.
Thanks. Thought about that, but at that stage (already at the airport), the phone wait time probably exceeded the security line, but good to know for next time.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Not exactly clear from your post, but if you have an international leg on your PNR, you should not get PreCheck. Doesn't matter if your first leg is domestic.
I have gotten Precheck previously but not surprisingly, the logic of the system escapes me.

When I traveled last week DL BE CVG-BOS-LHR, I was denied in both CVG and BOS because I was flying Internationally. I had to go through TSA both places because of the terminal switch in BOS.

OTOH, on the return, same denial at the Domestic TSA Check Point for the Domestic leg of DL BE LHR-BOS-CVG (again a terminal change in BOS) even though I had cleared Customs and Immigration (GOES was great!) and thus basically no different than Joe Bagodonuts who just walked in the terminal door from Boston.

Only rationale appears to me is that International flights are considered higher risk leaving the USA and TSA also doesn't trust overseas screening and want to do their own full version before allowing you onto a domestic flight when you return. I know it doesn't have to make sense so I will go with the flow.

Cheers
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by X3Skier
doesn't... make sense
This is all you have to remember when dealing with TSA. Then it all makes sense.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
I mostly fly domestic, but it appears to me that if you are denied on the 1st leg of a ticket, you are going to be denied for the whole trip. X3Skier may be over-thinking the logic of the Int'l itin.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:49 am

I believe the reason for international flights is more ironic than TSA screening policy stupidity.

If I'm not mistaken, DHS (who run TSA) have been forcing other nations with flights to the US to use TSA standards. They do it by saying "live up to our standards or we will make life uncomfortable". So they can't now go and change the standards by saying, "We are lowing ours for people we trust, but you can't do the same".

The easy way to get out of the bind is to only make it applicable to PNRs with only domestic hops.

Mind you, this is just theory that I've heard from totally unreliable sources .
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
I scanned read through most of this thread and still can't find the answer to my question. I usually fly out of small airports without precheck lines, so never used it, even though I have a Nexus number (PassID). I flew out of SLC on Sunday and after checking my BP the TSA agent directed me to the regular Elite line rather than the pre-check line. No big deal but I was wondering if I am not eligible because I was on the same PNR as two people who don't qualify for precheck.

Am I right that the rule is still that you don't know if you get precheck until you give your BP to the TSA agent -- and how do they know?

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yamaka
I scanned read through most of this thread and still can't find the answer to my question. I usually fly out of small airports without precheck lines, so never used it, even though I have a Nexus number (PassID). I flew out of SLC on Sunday and after checking my BP the TSA agent directed me to the regular Elite line rather than the pre-check line. No big deal but I was wondering if I am not eligible because I was on the same PNR as two people who don't qualify for precheck.

Am I right that the rule is still that you don't know if you get precheck until you give your BP to the TSA agent -- and how do they know?

Thanks
The "rule" is that you don't know if you get precheck until the TSA agent scans your boarding pass. If the agent didn't scan your pass, then you were potentially misdirected to the regular lane. The agent needs to scan your pass, and if you get the triple beep, then you're good, and if you get the single beep, then they can direct you to the non-PreCheck lane.

I don't think being on the same PNR has anything to do with it.

There are ways around the "rule," though, to see if you have PreCheck enabled. I'm not sure if it's been discussed in this thread, but it has been talked about in the corresponding United PreCheck thread.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:57 am

The "rule" is that you don't know if you get precheck until the TSA agent scans your boarding pass. If the agent didn't scan your pass, then you were potentially misdirected to the regular lane. The agent needs to scan your pass, and if you get the triple beep, then you're good, and if you get the single beep, then they can direct you to the non-PreCheck lane.

I don't think being on the same PNR has anything to do with it.

There are ways around the "rule," though, to see if you have PreCheck enabled. I'm not sure if it's been discussed in this thread, but it has been talked about in the corresponding United PreCheck thread.
She didn't scan my pass, just directed me to the elite line, so she must have decided I didn't look precheck worthy. Now that I know how it works, I will ask to get my BP scanned. Thanks for the answer.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yamaka
She didn't scan my pass, just directed me to the elite line, so she must have decided I didn't look precheck worthy. Now that I know how it works, I will ask to get my BP scanned. Thanks for the answer.
At some airports, like IAD, they have an entirely separate PreCheck checkpoint, so it's assumed that by walking up there, you qualify for PreCheck. If they scan you and you don't have it, they'll direct you over to the regular checkpoint.

At other airports, like the United terminal at ORD, the PreCheck and elite lanes are next to each other, and there's a BP scanner at the entrance to the security line. A contract agent will check, and if you get the triple beep, you'll be directed to the PreCheck lane; if you don't, you'll be directed to the adjacent regular elite security lane. Either way, your BP will be scanned again at the podium by an actual TSA agent.

At yet other airports, like DCA the last time I was there, the contract BP checker doesn't have a scanner and so doesn't have a way to tell if you're PreCheck. Thus, you'll be directed to the regular elite line unless you specifically ask. At DCA, I always say, "PreCheck?" when I approach the BP checker, who then lifts the rope and allows me to proceed into the PreCheck lane. TSA then scans it, and if you don't qualify, they'll send you back over to the regular lane.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:32 pm

At yet other airports, like DCA the last time I was there, the contract BP checker doesn't have a scanner and so doesn't have a way to tell if you're PreCheck. Thus, you'll be directed to the regular elite line unless you specifically ask. At DCA, I always say, "PreCheck?" when I approach the BP checker, who then lifts the rope and allows me to proceed into the PreCheck lane. TSA then scans it, and if you don't qualify, they'll send you back over to the regular lane.
I think that was the deal at SLC. Now I know. Next week I go to Philadelphia. Wish they had it there for Delta, but apparently only USAir elite are elgibile.

Thanks for all the insights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.