Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Flew out of TPA this past Thursday as a FO and got the magic 3 beeps! Very, very nice experience as they had roped off the NOS and not the WTMD. Of course, out of habit I took the liquids out...
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kreneskyp
A hash is an electronic signature. You take all the data and generate a string (a number really) that represents that data. Depending on the algorithm used the signature can be generated and verified by anyone who knows the algorithm, or it can be limited to only someone (or a device) who possesses the matching cryptographic keys.

Which thread was this talked about in?
Thanks for the insight! Found the other thread/post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19191361-post184.html

There's also been some somewhat in-depth discussion in the AA forum.

While we can read the cleartext, I should very, very clearly stress that people should NOT tamper with the barcodes. If I find that I'm not going to get PreCheck for a trip, then I'll just deal with regular security and maybe an opt-out, and plan my arrival times accordingly. That extra 10 minutes of my life seems far favorable to whatever I might have to go through if the digital signature no longer matched.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Thanks for the insight! Found the other thread/post:
While we can read the cleartext, I should very, very clearly stress that people should NOT tamper with the barcodes. If I find that I'm not going to get PreCheck for a trip, then I'll just deal with regular security and maybe an opt-out, and plan my arrival times accordingly. That extra 10 minutes of my life seems far favorable to whatever I might have to go through if the digital signature no longer matched.
That can't be stressed enough.

Anyone ever seen the BP scanner beep 3-times and flash RED instead of a single or triple Green? I've only seen it happen once and the TSA agent directed the person to the standard screening.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by kreneskyp
That can't be stressed enough.

Anyone ever seen the BP scanner beep 3-times and flash RED instead of a single or triple Green? I've only seen it happen once and the TSA agent directed the person to the standard screening.
I saw that a couple of weeks ago in SLC. I think it was three slow beeps instead of fast.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Surprised nobody here flew through LAX on Tuesday when the Pre-Check lane was closed because the WTMD or bag scanner was "broken." I was LLL'd, but the very apologetic ID checker explained it something was broken and they were "working to fix it quickly."

By the way, LAX is replacing the backscatter machines with MMWs. T5 is all MMW now. The other terminals will be converted over time, according to the TSOs I talked to.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Rumor in the UA forum is that it'll happen in mid-November. But only in T2 & T3. Guess we'll see what happens.
Bummer, TSA guy at T1 SFO said it was supposed to come as they were on the trial list a long time ago.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:29 pm

2 for 2 so far

I'm 2 for 2 so far, once at DTW and once at LGA. I forgot I had a bottle of water in my carry on at LGA but they weren't too upset about it, just took it and sent it on my way.

My Skymiles profile name and GOES name are the same, but I don't have my middle name in the "Secure Flight Data" section. I was going to add it in but it hasn't seemed to make a difference for me.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Howste
If you want to check, you can print your boarding pass to a PDF file and go to this website to read the barcode: http://online-barcode-reader.inliter...m/default.aspx

You'll see this screen:

Check the PDF417 box for the barcode type. Click the "Choose File" button and select your PDF file. Then click the "Read Barcodes" button. You should see something like this:

[/IMG]

If you have a 3 where it's circled, you're cleared for precheck on this trip. If you have a 1, then you aren't.
Does this actually work? Or, maybe I am not using it correctly?

I went through my first pre-check lane yesterday almost by accident (I did not know I needed to just walk up to have them scan my BP to see if I was cleared), so now I am trying to figure out if that is what I need to do every time, or if there is a way to know before I arrive at the airport.

I scanned my BP from yesterday and tried to verify it with this site. I received a message that says "no barcodes found." The image is quite clear. Would it matter that it is a BP from yesterday?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by IrisT
I scanned my BP from yesterday and tried to verify it with this site. I received a message that says "no barcodes found." The image is quite clear. Would it matter that it is a BP from yesterday?
I "print" the boarding passes to a pdf file directly from the Delta website. I've never tried a scanned image. It shouldn't matter that it's from yesterday.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Thanks, Howste. I'll try that next time.

It will definitely be nice to know beforehand if there is a wait in the TSA Pre-Check lane. Yesterday, there was no one in line at MCO, and no Sky lane, so I decided to ask the pre-check guys. Glad I did ~ What a breeze!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The last boarding pass I printed at home was shrunk, and the app I used couldn't read the "bar" code. When I got one printed at the airport, the app read it fine so I knew I would get PRE.

(Boarding passes used to be about the full width of the paper, now they're a few inches shorter.)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold
As a silver elite, there is not much point in checking ahead of time on the pre-check. I fly out of Minneapolis and if I were not to get the three beeps, I would only be shunted to the Sky Priority line. And I don't pack differently in any case.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by sethb
The last boarding pass I printed at home was shrunk, and the app I used couldn't read the "bar" code. When I got one printed at the airport, the app read it fine so I knew I would get PRE.

(Boarding passes used to be about the full width of the paper, now they're a few inches shorter.)
If you use Firefox, go to File->Print Preview and check the Scale: setting at the top of the screen. Another user of the computer could have set the Scale to something small like 50 % which is remembered for future print requests such as your shrunken BP.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Another Pre-Check FAIL out of BOS, yet got it on the return from LAS.
At least in BOS if you don't get it, you've effectively cut the entire sky priority security line since its the same agent checking both lines, and you walk up there in the empty precheck line.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It worked fine for me off a small image .png file. The results were all compressed but I am sure that the 001 in the order as shown above was signifying that I was not getting pre-check.

That is quite all right with me since they do not have it yet on the DL side at FLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.