Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:16 pm

Just a note, I saw that TSA Pre is starting up at Washington Dulles (IAD) on Tuesday (Sept 25th).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
Sometimes the lack of triple beep is random, not based on boarding pass but on arrival order.
How do you know this?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Tybio
Just a note, I saw that TSA Pre is starting up at Washington Dulles (IAD) on Tuesday (Sept 25th).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19322277-post729.html
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gooselee
The triple beep is triggered by something within the BP barcode. I believe a TSO can still deny someone access to PreCheck screening even if they've received the three beeps, but for the scanner itself, it's literally searching for a character and then audibly/visibly reporting whether or not it's present.
Do you have familiarity with the equipment? It seems easy to imagine a way to program such a device to add a random check after the character is found.

Code:
if(precheck_bit_found) {
  if(rand(0,1) < .99) {
    beep(3);
  } else {
    beep(1);
  }
} else {
  beep(1);
}
Old Sep 22, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by OHDL1
To answer your question...not sure about timing. But, what you might want to try is the next time you're at a PreCheck airport. Just go up to the PreCheck podium and have them scan your BP. I've had some medallions not know if they were eligible or if they had been opted-in and the scan showed them to be in the system and eligible to use PreCheck.
If you want to check, you can print your boarding pass to a PDF file and go to this website to read the barcode: http://online-barcode-reader.inliter...m/default.aspx

You'll see this screen:

Check the PDF417 box for the barcode type. Click the "Choose File" button and select your PDF file. Then click the "Read Barcodes" button. You should see something like this:

[/IMG]

If you have a 3 where it's circled, you're cleared for precheck on this trip. If you have a 1, then you aren't.

Last edited by Howste; Sep 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Also some iPhone & Blackberry apps available. I use Manatee on my iPhone.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Howste
If you have a 3 where it's circled, you're cleared for precheck on this trip. If you have a 1, then you aren't.
It is interesting that DL uses a 1 to indicate CLR, while AA uses a 0.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Howste
If you want to check, you can print your boarding pass to a PDF file and go to this website to read the barcode: http://online-barcode-reader.inliter...m/default.aspx

You'll see this screen:

Check the PDF417 box for the barcode type. Click the "Choose File" button and select your PDF file. Then click the "Read Barcodes" button. You should see something like this:

But keep in mind even if you are a PC person, you aren't guaranteed a "3" 100% of the time.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by 14940674
It is interesting that DL uses a 1 to indicate CLR, while AA uses a 0.
It may actually be a 0. I was just going from memory, and haven't seen one without a 3 in a long time. Let's just say if it isn't a 3, you won't get Precheck.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mnredfox
How do you know this?
Observation. (It might have been the agent overriding the 3 beeps.)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Observation. (It might have been the agent overriding the 3 beeps.)
The clerk can't influence whether or not you get LLL. That is made before you print your BPs. The only thing they see at the checkpoint is LLL or CLR.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone else think its ridiculous that at some of the smaller airports sky priority has been removed in lieu of pre-check?

I'm looking at you IND (and CVG apparently).

I'm usually on an international itinerary and I have not had too many instances where I have gotten the 3 beeps while doing so.

This means exiting the line to join te general line - That makes 0 sense.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
There's TWO places on Delta's website that you need to update. One is the profile page that rnlevi mentions, and the other is for each PNR. Go into your reservations and look for a link in 3-point font that says something about TSA or secure flight.

Update both sections, and make sure that they match your ID as well as each other. For example, I discovered that my profile said that my name was the correct "ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens", but the TSA data listed on the PNR page said that my name was the quite incorrect "ThrowUpYourLeavyScones".
My DL.com profile has only my middle initial...but the TSA information has my full middle name spelled out....I'm batting 100% at being cleared for Pre-Check (was terrific this morning at DCA...lines already building but the Pre-Check line had no one ...only confusing thing is there was no one there to preverify the eligiblity to go through the precheck line)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tkey75
True. As a GM, I'm 100% when traveling alone domestically. 0% internationally or someone else on the PNR.
I'm at 100% with others on the PNR with me
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:48 pm
zld

Programs: AA EP, DL GM
Originally Posted by tmontemb
Does anyone else think its ridiculous that at some of the smaller airports sky priority has been removed in lieu of pre-check?

I'm looking at you IND (and CVG apparently).

I'm usually on an international itinerary and I have not had too many instances where I have gotten the 3 beeps while doing so.

This means exiting the line to join te general line - That makes 0 sense.
Sky Priority hasn't been removed at CVG. There are 3 lines - general, SP, and PreCheck. SP and PreCheck convene at the same TSA agent and then split off again to 2 different security checks (NoS vs WTMD).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.