Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by enigmamatt
Another data point...

I had thought one way and tickets purchased less than 72 hours from departure were pretty much guaranteed not to get pre check. But, I bought a one way ticket yesterday and cleared pre check today in ATL.

Matt
I just had this happen -- I bought a ticket 18 (EIGHTEEN) hours before a flight and cleared pre-check in BOTH directions.

The return was from Washington-Dulles Airport, which... doesn't have Pre-Check working yet.

When I asked where to go / what to do after the 3 beeps, NO ONE at TSA knew.

Stupid F------ TSA.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by zachsdad1
I am pretty much disgusted with the TSA Precheck program. I have been selected once out of 16 times in DTW. I am Diamond, have GE, and have a Nexus interview next month. I have asked TSA and they say it is up to Delta and Delta says its up to TSA. I saw another man in line behind me who didn't get selected, so I said, "You didn't win the lottery either, did you?". I keep seeing these notices about how the program is being expanded, but it isn't expanding in my direction
I've been selected every time except once (50+ flights from Atlanta, Seattle-Delta, Seattle-AlaskaAir, Minneapolis, and now Washington-Dulles... which doesn't have it operational yet). This includes two infant-in-arms flights.

The one time was when Delta tried to check me in / out / in / out / in / out since the Delta App wouldn't do an e-boarding card. And I had an oversize check-in item.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Originally Posted by GoldboxATL
I have used TSA Pre Check about 20+ times in a row... I was in DTW yesterday and no allowed to use it. I was told by the TSA Agent selection is random. Is that true?
The TSA says it's random. I believe that as much as I believe everything else they claim.
Yeah, I was batting 1.000 for the year (probably 30+ flights with Pre) until last week. Now 0 for 3 on my last 3 flights. Doesn't sound very random....
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Leezell
Yeah, I was batting 1.000 for the year (probably 30+ flights with Pre) until last week. Now 0 for 3 on my last 3 flights. Doesn't sound very random....
Just curious, what part of that doesn't sound random to you? Guessing you were okay with the random part when you were 30 for 30 wins, so is it the the 0 for 3 failures that is now not random?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum
I was running about 60% - 75% with Pre Check until a few weeks ago, when I was recently approved for Global Entry. After entering my Known Traveler number I am 0 for 6 - haven't gotten Pre Check once.

I had thought Global Entry would increase my odds, but go figure...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
I just had this happen -- I bought a ticket 18 (EIGHTEEN) hours before a flight and cleared pre-check in BOTH directions.

The return was from Washington-Dulles Airport, which... doesn't have Pre-Check working yet.

When I asked where to go / what to do after the 3 beeps, NO ONE at TSA knew.

Stupid F------ TSA.
What do you expect? Pre-Check is not active, thus you will not get any benefits there...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/Marriott Gold/RCCL D+/Celebrity Elite/Princess Elite
Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs
I'd take 50%... so far I'm 1 for 12... TSA Pre line was actually closed one of the times, so 10 single beeps for me...

An update... hopefully my dry spell is over... since this post I'm 4 for 4, so overall I'm now 5 for 16, which is a definitely improvement. Here's hoping the trend continues.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by rraskopf
I was running about 60% - 75% with Pre Check until a few weeks ago, when I was recently approved for Global Entry. After entering my Known Traveler number I am 0 for 6 - haven't gotten Pre Check once.

I had thought Global Entry would increase my odds, but go figure...
Check and verify that you've entered your Known Traveler number perfectly (using the below links for instructions to find the number). If you've type it incorrectly, or if the status of your Known Traveler number is something other than "Approved" when you view it in GOES, then that could be a reason for your recent Pre Check results.

http://www.globalentry.gov/faq.html#28
http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/find_ge_card.pdf
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Just curious, what part of that doesn't sound random to you? Guessing you were okay with the random part when you were 30 for 30 wins, so is it the the 0 for 3 failures that is now not random?
No, I didn't think it was random when I was on my 30th in a row, nor my wife when she was on her 10th in a row (she flies way less than me). I also don't think it's random now that I haven't made it for 3 in a row. But as it's the TSA we're dealing with, I can't say what exactly is the issue......

But to satisfy you, I'll wake up in the AM and flip a $.50 piece until I get heads 30 times in a row if you truly think its completely random...... Care to wager how long it will take?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:46 am

I opt'ed last year while Platinum having got the email but since dropped to silver for this year. I don't have global entry but am wondering if they ever remove your eligibility if you got in with airline status. I couldn't find any info on this.

I did hit the tripple beeps as silver this summer once but I missed on the only other one I've gone through a pre check line. Is there any info if you can lose eligibility?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:52 am

No, I didn't think it was random when I was on my 30th in a row, nor my wife when she was on her 10th in a row (she flies way less than me). I also don't think it's random now that I haven't made it for 3 in a row. But as it's the TSA we're dealing with, I can't say what exactly is the issue......

But to satisfy you, I'll wake up in the AM and flip a $.50 piece until I get heads 30 times in a row if you truly think its completely random...... Care to wager how long it will take?
Random doesn't mean 50-50.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Random doesn't mean 50-50.
back at ya.

And the TSA Pre isn't actually "random" either, per their website:

"Q. Will participants get a membership card or something to show they have been cleared for expedited screening?
A. No. Passengers who volunteer will be pre-screened each time they fly. TSA always incorporates random and unpredictable screening measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening."

Do you feel superior yet, BTW?

Also, 0 for 4 now.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

"Q. Will participants get a membership card or something to show they have been cleared for expedited screening?
A. No. Passengers who volunteer will be pre-screened each time they fly. TSA always incorporates random and unpredictable screening measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening."
Uh, what part of "random and unpredictable measures" strikes you as anything other than "random"?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
back at ya.

Do you feel superior yet, BTW?

Also, 0 for 4 now.
Your quoted section in the website does indicate that there is a level of randomness to it.

Also, random by it's very definition is not 50-50, or any other defined percentage, other than what is defined by the algorithm determining random in a particular circumstance. Even when it is 50-50, that is the average over an infinite number of occurrences, and the number of results any particular individual gets will not follow that necessarily.

0 could also mean some other issue is causing it, but it doesn't mean that it isn't random.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DCBob
Just used TSA Pre✓™ at ATL today and got the 3 beeps (with the green light and LLL on the display). So far, I am at 100% (5/5) being selected for TSA Pre✓™ since I began using it on June 5 - 3 x DCA, 1 x MSP, and now 1 x ATL. All of these flights were on DL. I have both Global Entry and Delta Platinum status.
As of yesterday, I am still 100% - 6/6 being chosen for TSA Pre✓™ - 4 x DCA, 1 x MSP, and 1 x ATL. Waited a long 12 minutes in the TSA Pre✓™/DL & UA Elite line at DCA starting at 6:30 am to finally get my BP scanned and then less than 1 minute through the nearly empty TSA Pre✓™ lane.

I watched the BPs being scanned in my line and would estimate that only 1/10 were selected. But for those on FT who are 0/4 or 5/16 - I can't help think something is wrong in their profile. I talked to the guy in front of me and he thought TSA Pre✓™ was guaranteed each time and was shocked when I told him it wasn't - apparently because he has a 100% selection record like me and travels twice a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.