Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by stylo4444
Sorry to say this, and as you are 100% positive, I'm only relaying my exact experience. Upon seeing my GE card, I was let into the TSA-Pre lane.
Congrats... What the agents don't know is working to your advantage (though it IS undermining the security of a nation ).

As I said, I do have GE, and the selection for Pre-check is still random (as is published everywhere, and oft complained about on FT). My success rate (always showing my GE card as my ID) is about 40%.

If they are allowing you through the Pre-check line based on having a GE card, that is a MAJOR security breech, as the card (or active status) alone is not sufficient to grant access to the line, but only to enter you for the "lottery" for random selection.

Enjoy it while it lasts... I guarantee you the government will crack down on this much harder than on erroneously allowing SP access!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tmontemb
Thanks for the info- I guess at IND it doesnt matter as security is <4 min on avg anyways but I suppose the hassle of unpacking your stuff will be gone.
Yes, it matters. I don't want to take my belt and shoes off and empty my pockets.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by dcline414
Congrats... What the agents don't know is working to your advantage (though it IS undermining the security of a nation ).

As I said, I do have GE, and the selection for Pre-check is still random (as is published everywhere, and oft complained about on FT). My success rate (always showing my GE card as my ID) is about 40%.

If they are allowing you through the Pre-check line based on having a GE card, that is a MAJOR security breech, as the card (or active status) alone is not sufficient to grant access to the line, but only to enter you for the "lottery" for random selection.

Enjoy it while it lasts... I guarantee you the government will crack down on this much harder than on erroneously allowing SP access!
Did you happen to read the part where i say that the first couple trips after I opted-in for the TSA Pre program by entering in my Trusted Traveler number, I was not allowed to go into the Pre lane? Or did you just happen to conveniently ignore that?

I follow it up by saying that in my recent trips, I have been allowed to go through the Pre lane for expedited security, which has made things very pleasant. And I showed them my boarding pass, ID, and GE card...we're talking 4 legs now where this has happened and I do not recall my boarding pass being scanned. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

Rather than jump to the conclusion that something completely improper was done and very much hinting at me enjoying something that I apparently should not be enjoying...according to your security expertise...read my posts carefully next time please.

So far I am 4/6 on being able to go through the TSA-Pre line since entering in my GE number, and opting-in for the program. What's next? My percentage of being selected is too high and it should be lower?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:13 pm

Rather than jump to the conclusion that something completely improper was done and very much hinting at me enjoying something that I apparently should not be enjoying...according to your security expertise...read my posts carefully next time please.

So far I am 4/6 on being able to go through the TSA-Pre line since entering in my GE number, and opting-in for the program. What's next? My percentage of being selected is too high and it should be lower?
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of doing something wrong... You belong in the line (if selected) so you should certainly enjoy the perks, even if it is being executed incorrectly.

However, no one should be allowed in Pre-check unless their boarding pass is scanned (and only if it indicates that the passenger was randomly selected for this trip). Regardless of qualifying criteria, the day-of-travel selection is still random, and is embedded in the BP barcode. No one can verify a passenger's eligibility without scanning the BP.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of doing something wrong... You belong in the line (if selected) so you should certainly enjoy the perks, even if it is being executed incorrectly.

However, no one should be allowed in Pre-check unless their boarding pass is scanned (and only if it indicates that the passenger was randomly selected for this trip). Regardless of qualifying criteria, the day-of-travel selection is still random, and is embedded in the BP barcode. No one can verify a passenger's eligibility without scanning the BP.
Executed incorrectly? I am pretty sure you are having an issue with reading, so let me clarify since you clearly have an issue with this and are very repetitive about the rules.

Up until oh some 10 hours ago, I did not know that I am supposed to look for 3 beeps when my boarding pass is scanned. In fact, when I travel 99% of the time since it's business, I care more about just getting through security and into the SkyClub or onto my flight if I'm running tight on time. I give my BP, ID, and GE card to the TSA agent...and have been doing so since I received my GE card.

Again, first two times - I was not selected to go into Pre-check. The next few trips, I have been selected which was a pleasant surprise. To me this means, TSA took the information I provided them, made the determination that I have been selected - and off I am into the Pre-check line. Did they scan my boarding pass? Once again, quite possibly. I do not recall hearing any beeps. Maybe something else showed up when my boarding pass was scanned that indicated I have been selected. 4/6 times.

Seriously don't apologize if you're going to follow up with something sarcastic, and constantly repeating the rules as if you're the governing authority over here. You most certainly indicated to me I was doing something wrong and saying that I am breaching security is a pretty bold accusation.

Next time if I get selected, I'll make sure to let the TSA agent know that sorry I'm now on a bit of a streak for getting selected, please put me back in the regular line so I can keep my % on par with someone I don't know, and someone who doesn't know me.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:14 pm

Executed incorrectly?
Yes. There is absolutely nothing visual (BP, GE card, or otherwise) that would indicate you are able to use Pre-check.

You have been very consistent in giving the story that they LOOKED at your credentials, but didn't scan your BP (that you recall):
Past two trips however, in both MCO and LGA I've been able to show my GE card and they let me go through to the TSA-Pre check lane.
When I showed them my GE card, they allowed me to go straight into the Pre line.
I absolutely do not recall them scanning my BP to be honest, I remember them looking at my BP, my ID, marking the BP with their initials or whatever, and then when seeing my GE card they told me I'm eligible for Pre and to get into the lane and not to to remove my belt, shoes, and keep my laptop in my bag.
I just want to clarify for everyone who reads this that your GE number stored in your profile does make you elligable, but does NOT automatically give you access to Pre-check. Until the TSA agent scans your BP, no one knows whether you will be selected on this particular trip.

Either your BP was scanned and you don't remember, or the protocol was not followed. It has nothing to do with how often you are randomly selected to use the Pre-check line, which I could care less about. I just want to quell the spreading of misinformation.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:52 pm

Yes. There is absolutely nothing visual (BP, GE card, or otherwise) that would indicate you are able to use Pre-check.

You have been very consistent in giving the story that they LOOKED at your credentials, but didn't scan your BP (that you recall):

I just want to clarify for everyone who reads this that your GE number stored in your profile does make you elligable, but does NOT automatically give you access to Pre-check. Until the TSA agent scans your BP, no one knows whether you will be selected on this particular trip.

Either your BP was scanned and you don't remember, or the protocol was not followed. It has nothing to do with how often you are randomly selected to use the Pre-check line, which I could care less about. I just want to quell the spreading of misinformation.
It's one thing to quell spreading of misinformation, and it's another to accuse someone of wrongdoing and imply a major security breach. My posting in this thread was to answer the question of a person entering in their GE traveler number in their profile and being eligible - to which I responded yes you are eligible and the last few trips I have actually been selected.

I have been consistent in two things - the items I provide when going through security (BP, ID, GE card), and then my not going through the first two times, but being selected on recent trips after the agent saw the items I provided, starting with my boarding pass, then my ID, and then my GE card where afterwards they pointed me to the Pre-Check lane and informed me I have been selected for Pre Check, and not to remove my shoes, belt, and keep my laptop in my bag. I point out them seeing my GE card because once they saw that is when they let me know that I've been selected for pre-check, that's all. I'm simply relaying my experience as I remember it. Would you like me to ask them if they scanned my boarding pass next time and if they can let me record the beeps on my iPhone as well just to make sure?

Next time, choose your words wisely rather than make accusations of someone trying to get around a security system, undermining national security, procedures being executed incorrectly, and hinting at someone doing something wrong and promising a "crackdown" of this. If your goal was to quell any misinformation, you could have done it in a more effective and appropriate way.

And once again, I still don't see you mentioning the part where I say I didn't get selected the first two times after providing the same documents, but instead choose to focus on my words of the TSA agent looking at my GE card and me being let through to the Pre-Check lane. At least mention the other facts rather than the words you feel you can try to attack a person on.

Everyone that is a regular flier knows of the pains of waiting in long security lines at the airport, I see the TSA-Pre program as a good step towards improving the process. I view GE as somewhat of a plus with this as you give up more information rather than just being a part of TSA-Pre due to FF status. Whether having a GE improves the chances of being selected, I do not know but I could understand it if that was the case as you give up more information in order to obtain Global Entry. Nevertheless, I have not been selected every time I have traveled either. The goal is to improve security and everyone wants the process to be better and faster, but remain as secure as ever. You don't know me, and I don't know you...but at least we can agree on that. If you want to continue to make false claims of how I have apparently breached security and am taking advantage of something feel free to continue to do so.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I just made it through with my Alaska boarding pass at BOS. Lots of suits and media around today for the launch.

Elite lane and Pre-check are now on the opposite side of where they were. Now by the Alaska check-in . I'll try with UA boarding pass in a few weeks
The article says that they added a ninth lane at the terminal A checkpoint. How did they manage to squeeze this in? I was hoping that the addition of Pre-Check would mean that they would remove a BKSX, but if they added a lane, it sounds like all the BKSXs are still there. Could you provide any additional details?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by meballard
Apparently not all of them beep, some just use some kind of display, showing LLL for PreCheck, or green lights, or various other things.
Yes, but I believe one of the airports mentioned was LGA, and I know for sure that machine gives three beeps. They aren't as loud as others though (ATL, for example), so would be easy to miss if its busy, you're not paying attention, there's a baby crying, etc.

Originally Posted by meballard
Shouldn't make a difference for entry into the actual PreCheck screening area yes, although it would make it easier to get into the line to have your pass scanned for PreCheck, especially if you don't qualify for the SkyPriority security line.
Yep. That's what I'm thinking. GE card gets you into the line in the event you don't have SkyPriority (if it's a shared line), but you still need to get BP scanned to go through the PreCheck-style screening.

It's one thing to quell spreading of misinformation, and it's another to accuse someone of wrongdoing and imply a major security breach. My posting in this thread was to answer the question of a person entering in their GE traveler number in their profile and being eligible - to which I responded yes you are eligible and the last few trips I have actually been selected.

I have been consistent in two things - the items I provide when going through security (BP, ID, GE card), and then my not going through the first two times, but being selected on recent trips after the agent saw the items I provided, starting with my boarding pass, then my ID, and then my GE card where afterwards they pointed me to the Pre-Check lane and informed me I have been selected for Pre Check, and not to remove my shoes, belt, and keep my laptop in my bag. I point out them seeing my GE card because once they saw that is when they let me know that I've been selected for pre-check, that's all. I'm simply relaying my experience as I remember it. Would you like me to ask them if they scanned my boarding pass next time and if they can let me record the beeps on my iPhone as well just to make sure?

Next time, choose your words wisely rather than make accusations of someone trying to get around a security system, undermining national security, procedures being executed incorrectly, and hinting at someone doing something wrong and promising a "crackdown" of this. If your goal was to quell any misinformation, you could have done it in a more effective and appropriate way.

And once again, I still don't see you mentioning the part where I say I didn't get selected the first two times after providing the same documents, but instead choose to focus on my words of the TSA agent looking at my GE card and me being let through to the Pre-Check lane. At least mention the other facts rather than the words you feel you can try to attack a person on.

Everyone that is a regular flier knows of the pains of waiting in long security lines at the airport, I see the TSA-Pre program as a good step towards improving the process. I view GE as somewhat of a plus with this as you give up more information rather than just being a part of TSA-Pre due to FF status. Whether having a GE improves the chances of being selected, I do not know but I could understand it if that was the case as you give up more information in order to obtain Global Entry. Nevertheless, I have not been selected every time I have traveled either. The goal is to improve security and everyone wants the process to be better and faster, but remain as secure as ever. You don't know me, and I don't know you...but at least we can agree on that. If you want to continue to make false claims of how I have apparently breached security and am taking advantage of something feel free to continue to do so.
Whoa there. I need to jump in since I was the one that started asking questions, though I should say up front that right now, while I'm assuming the best about both of you, I'm going to side with dcline414. For myself, I speak directly and bluntly because I want to be clear about what's happening and, as I've received a wealth of great information from FT, want to make sure that any potentially (even if not intentionally) misleading information is addressed for others that may be reading.
  1. PreCheck is still somewhat new, especially at some specific airports, and both us pax and TSA agents are learning its ins and outs. I see this thread as a great place to hear about experiences like yours, try to pick at the minute details (since we're FTers, and that's what we do), and retain that knowledge.
  2. PreCheck is great. We all want to get it every time. Many of us have experiences not getting it at times.
  3. I seriously doubt anyone here is accusing you of deliberately attempting to circumvent airport security measures. In fact, if there's anything you're guilty of it's not wasting time obsessively digging into PreCheck literature and paying attention to a nondescript BP scanner machine at the security checkpoint. If anything, it sounded to me like folks were noodling on poorly-trained TSA agents not following the correct procedure for checking each eligible pax for their selection, and potentially allowing some pax to use PreCheck when they otherwise wouldn't have been randomly selected.
  4. We, on this thread, chose to focus on one part of your experience. Absolutely. Why? Because the way it was described at first seems inconsistent with the known rules of the PreCheck program and with the various experiences already posted here. We're not attacking anyone, we're just curious, because it's different.
  5. It is a known fact, both through TSA literature and the experiences of other FTers, that access to certain lines leading up to the security checkpoint TDC is granted by any number of means - flashing a FF elite card, flashing a GE card, flashing a F/BE/SP boarding pass, flashing a smile.
  6. Prior to your post, it was thought that to gain access to the actual PreCheck screening area (i.e., the x-ray machine and WTMD where you're allowed to keep your shoes/belt/jacket on), each pax must have his/her BP scanned and receive a signal, represented by the display of "LLL" or three audible beeps, that they have been randomly selected to use the PreCheck-style screening for that entry. Except for certain scenarios involving young children, this is strictly per pax and not per PNR or anything else. I have been separated from my wife several times when I get the three beeps and she does not.
  7. In theory, a major piece of the security guaranteed by the PreCheck program is that random selection for additional screening measures remains a part of the system at all times. The reason we keyed in so much on your experience was that from the original post, it could be interpreted as you flashed your GE card and were automatically directed into the PreCheck screening area. No BP scan. No random selection. Just automatic entry. If this is true, it is a very real breach of security (at least in the eyes of the TSA), as it allows individuals with GE cards to anticipate a more relaxed security screening.
  8. From our follow up questions and your responses, it appears that that is a big "if" statement, since none of us really know what happened. You mention that you just don't remember if your BP was scanned. And that's fine. If you did remember, it'd be a great data point to have.

There is so much confusion in this thread, which some of the same posters try again and again to resolve, around the difference of being "eligible" for PreCheck and actually being "selected" on any given day/trip/checkpoint. It makes it hard for questions to get answered efficiently, and makes folks ask for lots of detail to get clarity.

So, for the record, here's how I'm talking about it, and how I think most others understand it.
  • Eligible - If you're eligible, you're eligible. Whether it's because your a FF elite, have GE/Nexus, or something else, you are allowed to scan your BP at the TSA checkpoint and try to use PreCheck, though it's never guaranteed. Conversely, if you're ineligible, your chances of getting PreCheck on any given trip should be exactly zero.
  • Selected - You only know if you're selected or not at actual entry on each trip, in that magical moment when the TDC scans your BP and the little black box beeps three times or says "LLL" (or both). You can't be selected unless you were eligible first. If you're selected, you go down the glorious aisle where you don't unpack your 3-1-1 and laptop, keep your shoes and belt where they belong (on the appropriate parts of your body), and stroll through a WTMD. If you're unlucky and don't get selected, that doesn't mean you weren't eligible, or that you won't be in the future. It just means it wasn't your lucky day.

There. Can we all be friends again now?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Thumbs up Amazing Experience!

So BOS began the Pre Check program this week.

I was unsure what to expect as I live in FLL and haven't yet begun a trip from an airport with Pre Check. Didn't know if I was even in the program as I have never heard anything from DL or the TSA to let me know that I qualify. (I do have GE and months ago, added my PASSID # to my DL profile)

Got to the airport. Very long lines at security (both Sky Priority and normal line)

An agent walked the SP line asking "anyone here have Global Entry?"

I said yes, was shown to the Pre Check line; only 2 in line ahead of me. They scanned my pass, a green light lit up and I went in to the scan area. Just like the old days. I threw my bags on the belt without removing fluids or computers. Left my shoes & belt on. Walked through the metal detector, grabbed my bags back & left.

Wonderful experience!

Thank you TSA

Thank you Delta
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by frambusch
So BOS began the Pre Check program this week.

I was unsure what to expect as I live in FLL and haven't yet begun a trip from an airport with Pre Check. Didn't know if I was even in the program as I have never heard anything from DL or the TSA to let me know that I qualify. (I do have GE and months ago, added my PASSID # to my DL profile)

Got to the airport. Very long lines at security (both Sky Priority and normal line)

An agent walked the SP line asking "anyone here have Global Entry?"

I said yes, was shown to the Pre Check line; only 2 in line ahead of me. They scanned my pass, a green light lit up and I went in to the scan area. Just like the old days. I threw my bags on the belt without removing fluids or computers. Left my shoes & belt on. Walked through the metal detector, grabbed my bags back & left.

Wonderful experience!

Thank you TSA

Thank you Delta
My experience today at BOS the same. I opted myself in to the precheck line TSA scanned bp green light, I'm good to go. Cell phone in the backpack is all that is needed. Belt stays on, shoes on, computer in bag. 30 seconds total.

Back to the slightly more rational days of flying.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
I have a weird situation,, out of the two times i've flown through a precheck airport I haven't even selected. I'm currently a Delta Silver Medallion,,, but I have both Nexus and Global Entry,, have my known traveller number in there,, and I have almost 400,000 Million Miler miles on Delta. I've had my Medallion status for 8 years now,, and have always had either silver,, gold or, platinum.

First time was in Vegas,,, and today in BOS,, today the agent scanned my BP,,, I got the green light on the new white style scanners,, and then she said you'll be over here today and put me in the regular line.

I got to skip the medallion line,,, and it still took me under a minute,, but still,, anyone know whats up?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
My experience at SEA (with AK, not yet DL) is with an entirely seperate PreCheck line that gets you past the normal line, without waiting to see if you get the triple beep.

At SEA, at the North security checkpoint, there is a (usually long) general line, and a separate (short and fast) entry that accomodates first class and those with high level FF credentials. The PreCheck line is now accessed by this same FC/FF entry point. To enter this line, I have always just said "PreCheck" to the line monitor and have been waved through -- have not shown my GE/NEXUS card or my boarding pass (not that the latter would shown anything of course).

The FC/FF/PC line then goes down a hallway to two podiums (podia?) -- one for the FC and FF and the other for PreCheck. At this point, those in the line are physically separated from the rest of the "normal" security line by a wall.

I am 2/2 when I get to the PreCheck podium and then go to the expedited screening. I believe that if I did not get the triple beep, I would then be directed to the FC/FF line, not back to the "normal" lanes as there is no way to get there, short of going back to the end of the "normal" line. But I have not experienced that yet.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by s25843
I have a weird situation,, out of the two times i've flown through a precheck airport I haven't even selected. I'm currently a Delta Silver Medallion,,, but I have both Nexus and Global Entry,, have my known traveller number in there,, and I have almost 400,000 Million Miler miles on Delta. I've had my Medallion status for 8 years now,, and have always had either silver,, gold or, platinum.

First time was in Vegas,,, and today in BOS,, today the agent scanned my BP,,, I got the green light on the new white style scanners,, and then she said you'll be over here today and put me in the regular line.

I got to skip the medallion line,,, and it still took me under a minute,, but still,, anyone know whats up?
Are you sure your "Secure Flight Passenger Data" is updated on your DL.com profile? As far as I know, that is the ONLY thing that needs to be filled in to make you eligible for PreCheck. I don't have Nexus or Global Entry or a Known Traveler Number and I have been selected every time I have been through a qualifying airport (which is 4 or 5 times). I am PM so I don't know if that makes a difference.

That being said, it is still a random selection. I was sitting next to a DM last week who live in ATL, and he said he gets PreCheck about 8 or 10 times. I would not get discouraged after being denied 2 times. If you reach double digits though without getting selected, then you might need to reach for GM or above.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by milehighflyer
Are you sure your "Secure Flight Passenger Data" is updated on your DL.com profile? As far as I know, that is the ONLY thing that needs to be filled in to make you eligible for PreCheck. I don't have Nexus or Global Entry or a Known Traveler Number and I have been selected every time I have been through a qualifying airport (which is 4 or 5 times). I am PM so I don't know if that makes a difference.

That being said, it is still a random selection. I was sitting next to a DM last week who live in ATL, and he said he gets PreCheck about 8 or 10 times. I would not get discouraged after being denied 2 times. If you reach double digits though without getting selected, then you might need to reach for GM or above.
If you are eligible for PreCheck by virtue of FF elite status (documented in this thread as usually PM or above, and sometimes GM), then yes, you only need to complete TSA Passenger Data, so you might not have a known traveler number. I don't think anyone really knows what formula DL used to select the medallions that would be eligible, but I'd guess that if s25843 was FO whenever they did that sweep, he/she wasn't included.

However, if you belong to a Trusted Traveler program like Nexus or GE (plus certain other requirements) then you can be eligible for PreCheck regardless of FF status. I have GE but zero status and have been able to use PreCheck multiple times. If eligible through one of these programs, you MUST include your Trusted Traveler number in your TSA profile, as that is what links your PNR to your eligibility.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.