Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:54 pm

I'm GM and 100% at ATL since the program started. Love it.

Not member of Global Entry or Nexus, I need to get around to that. Also, never received an e-mail from Delta. I just showed up for a flight not long after the program started, had my BP scanned and was directed to the Pre lane.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
My info is filled in on delta.com and the box checked, but I did not get the speedy lane in DTW about two weeks ago. I guess I need more data points but I'm still not convinced that is all I need to do.

I have been using the TT lane with 100% success when flying AA out of DFW.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:03 am

0/6. Canadian passport w/ Nexus&GE.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SirJman
0/6. Canadian passport w/ Nexus&GE.
You must be a US citizen to use PreCheck.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:20 pm

strike 4 for TSA pre-check at DTW

Originally Posted by akonradi
Your boarding pass will be scanned at the checkpoint. If you qualify for Pre Check, you will be directed to the appropriate line. Selection for this new screening is supposedly random, so you are not automatically granted entrance every time just because of your credentials.
I have my TT in my DL Skymiles profile. have flown 4 flights out of DTW since enrolled and tried each time to get thru Precheck lane upper level..denied each time...told each time its completely random.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gator21
I'm not even sure you need to opt-in. I'm PM but haven't joined any of the NEXUS, GLOBAL plans but was selected in ATL on my last trip. Kinda surprised. The only membership I've had in the past was CLEAR (which hasn't come back to ATL yet).
I had a 4 hour layover after an AMS-DTW segment yesterday morning. Went outside to have a smoke, and upon checking in at the north Sky Priority area I was selected. I've never registered for any trusted traveler program. YMMV
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, HH:Diamond, Hertz:PC
I'm 10/12 in DTW. It is random, but you have to hit the Sky Priority line on the ticketing level. Actually been a few times on Monday morning when the Pre Check line was going slower since 1/2 people have no idea how it works. People are still taking off their belts, shoes and what not....

You don't have to be part of a trusted traveler program. Just make sure you have your full birthday, sex, and middle name in your profile.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Confused System

If you have read through all the Pre Check comments you might be confused. That is because while the idea is nice, the execution is confused. This program does not require any new equipment just a change in procedure. Why then such a long roll out time. Most likely they are quite sure how to do it yet.

A few comments talk about being selected for pre check. Seems that if you are qualified for the program, the you go through pre check and a few randomly selected for the normal check.

It will take at least a year for TSA to coordinate this.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Confused System

If you have read through all the Pre Check comments you might be confused. That is because while the idea is nice, the execution is confused. This program does not require any new equipment just a change in procedure. Why then such a long roll out time. Most likely they are quite sure how to do it yet.

A few comments talk about being selected for pre check. Seems that if you are qualified for the program, the you go through pre check and a few randomly selected for the normal check.

It will take at least a year for TSA to coordinate this.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
3 for 3 in ATL. Mrsgator21 flew with me last time. FO and a former CLEAR member. She didn't get selected and had to wait in line. I took most of the carryon stuff with me, cleared security, went to the bathroom and still had to wait on her to clear security.

Random, random, random... And that is what TSA wants. Random with no clear definition or way to predict. Just wish more airports were included (like RDU).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Makes clearing security so much easier, just put your cell phone in your back pack and take off my jacket and that's it.
In MSP I didn't even need to take my jacket off.

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
OK, So I understand that the selection for Pre-check is "random"...but I flew out of MSP today at 12:20pm...there was ONE xray machine staffed at the SkyPriority lane and 6 million people in line....anyway

Here's my Gripe...why does someone who has done a background check, fingerprinting, interview, etc...have to be randomly selected? when a Gold medallion with no background check is considered more secure? Obviously, I did not get selected, left the skypriority lane, when to check point 6, stood in the regular line, and still got through faster. Rant over.
1. Because it is random. Those using GE are just as likely to be selected to go through the regular line as DM/PM, etc.

2. 6 million people, really? What else about your rant is an overexaggeration?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Also, if you have GE or Nexus, I don't believe you need to be pre-selected.
Originally Posted by 14940674
That is correct. TT members need only enter their PASSIDs into their Delta profiles to qualify.
LBJ is correct. However, for GE, PASSIDs do not need to be in airline profiles. I breezed through precheck in MIA a couple of weeks ago with GE and an ordinary AA boarding pass without any FF on file with AA (and I'm just a peon in their FF program).

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
Here's my Gripe...why does someone who has done a background check, fingerprinting, interview, etc...have to be randomly selected?
Because the program is just now coming out of beta testing and they need a way to limit the traffic. As it is rolled out throughout this year I believe you will see more lanes available and preselection will be eliminated. Patience!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by delayedinLGA
Don't forget this is only for US citizens, so green card holders are a no go... I wonder why... I am pretty sure the US government has more info on me than on the average US citizen. I've been fingerprinted and photographed and interviewed etc...
If you don't enter GE or Nexus credentials, how can they know you are a US Citizen? It is not written on your ID...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jzumrick
This program does not require any new equipment just a change in procedure. Why then such a long roll out time. Most likely they are quite sure how to do it yet.
It requires the nationwide deployment of the BP scanners that can read out PreCheck eligibility. It also requires training of the TDCs who are conducting the scanning, and the TSOs manning the PreCheck line.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:59 pm

Maybe it is just me but I don't like the program.

Found out I was in at LAS and that was great, but the next Monday in Atlanta the scan sent me to the regular elite line which takes longer then the general public line. I have not bothered to even go to the. "correct" checkpoint again.

The random factor makes it useless for me at my main airport (ATL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.