Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
You should call Delta and have them uncheck you in and ask them to add the KTN to your profile and to that reservation. If you go back and check in again the precheck should be there.
That worked. Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by houserulz77
Funny you post this Java, I was just coming on to ask the same thing. I have my third originating flight in the past year with my Mother (no status). I have been elite and now also have a valid KTN so I expect precheck. She has also been granted precheck on all three flights. I'm not sure why, but given the regular security lines at MCO, I'm most happy about it!!!
In my observations (not as a traveler, but as a volunteer at MSP), random selection for PreCheck favors older people. If your mom is over 60 or so, that could be a factor.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by houserulz77
Funny you post this Java, I was just coming on to ask the same thing. I have my third originating flight in the past year with my Mother (no status). I have been elite and now also have a valid KTN so I expect precheck. She has also been granted precheck on all three flights. I'm not sure why, but given the regular security lines at MCO, I'm most happy about it!!!
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
In my observations (not as a traveler, but as a volunteer at MSP), random selection for PreCheck favors older people. If your mom is over 60 or so, that could be a factor.
75 years and older gets you the precheck line as well, with or without it indicated on the BP
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM
You should call Delta and have them uncheck you in and ask them to add the KTN to your profile and to that reservation. If you go back and check in again the precheck should be there.
And I hope this isn't a dumb question but a few days ago I noticed our tickets from NRT -> LAX were marked as Precheck— Can anyone confirm that's just a by default thing printed on the ticket? Is there a secret Japanese precheck line? I've never noticed PC on an int'l return ticket before. We just shrugged it off and went through the regular security line, which was uncharacteristically sparse. Phew!

Last edited by RichardAndersonFan; Sep 4, 2023 at 10:49 pm
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I checked in today for an award flight tomorrow with my wife. I printed our boarding passes and we both had precheck.

In order to increase chances of an upgrade I called the DM line to have them split her onto a separate PNR. After checking back in again, I now have precheck but she doesn't. Can she still use the old boarding pass that shows precheck?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Howste
I checked in today for an award flight tomorrow with my wife. I printed our boarding passes and we both had precheck.

In order to increase chances of an upgrade I called the DM line to have them split her onto a separate PNR. After checking back in again, I now have precheck but she doesn't. Can she still use the old boarding pass that shows precheck?
Yes. When they scan the BP, it merely checks for the information to make verify that you are eligible for PreCheck. It doesn't query the airline to see if it is a valid BP (correct seat, flight, etc).
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Yes. When they scan the BP, it merely checks for the information to make verify that you are eligible for PreCheck. It doesn't query the airline to see if it is a valid BP (correct seat, flight, etc).
Thanks. That's what she'll use.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
75 years and older gets you the precheck line as well, with or without it indicated on the BP
I know that 75 or older enables pax to keep their shoes on, but I had not heard that it allows use of the PreCheck line. I don't think that is true at MSP, my base airport, but I could be mistaken. I'll check on it this weekend and post back.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I was excited when I heard the announcement earlier this year that only people with a KTN would get precheck but they are still giving it out to people at random, apparently the announcement meant they would no longer bring people over from the non-precheck line at random and let them use the precheck line. It's irritating when you get behind people the don't know things like shoes can stay on and who hold up the line.
I don't think you can add a KTN within 72 hours of departure. Secure Flight seems to lock the information at that time.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think you can add a KTN within 72 hours of departure. Secure Flight seems to lock the information at that time.
I did it with no problem a couple years ago. I went from being almost 100% for precheck to never getting it so just paid for it and went through the approriate steps. I had checked in already for a flight with no precheck and received the email approval a couple hours later. I remembered hearing other reports of people calling Delta and asking them to uncheck them in and apply the KTN and then check themselves in. I did that and then checked myself back in and the precheck banner was there. The poster I recomended this to replied a couple posts up that it did work for him as well.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RichardAndersonFan
And for those of you who detest the telephone, another option is to DM @DeltaAssist on Twitter. I often travel with my cousin and there's been a few times he's forgotten to add my KTN whilst booking. I just DM them and each time they've replied in a quick and friendly manner!

Said cousin doesn't have PreCheck and is ~50/50 on receiving it when traveling alone— He's 35yo, PM, don't know if that makes a difference. Every time I fly with him he gets PC though, so I figured if one person on the booking has it then their accompanying travelers receive it too. The seemingly arbitrary selection makes sense when I remember the whole government angle

And I hope this isn't a dumb question but a few days ago I noticed our tickets from NRT -> LAX were marked as Precheck— Can anyone confirm that's just a by default thing printed on the ticket? Is there a secret Japanese precheck line? I've never noticed PC on an int'l return ticket before. We just shrugged it off and went through the regular security line, which was uncharacteristically sparse. Phew!
DL has to submit the information for all flights. Even if flying from another country. Thus even though TSA doesn't handle security there it gets marked as Precheck, but really doesn't mean squat.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Yes.

I once showed up a little late for a flight from JFK, so they rebooked me onto the next flight. My new boarding pass didn't show Pre, so I asked to keep the old one and used that to get through Security Theater.

Then when I passed the gate for my original flight, the door was still open, so I SDSd onto it. (Still had to wait for my luggage at SFO, but I'd rather wait at the far end. And I wasn't eligible for an upgrade either way, so that didn't matter.)
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
You might not be able to (or it might not matter), but the airline can and sometimes it will help.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Delta can do it for you within a matter of minutes on Twitter DM. Their handle is @DeltaAssist. I've done it a handful of times, here's a screenshot of my own experience:
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies, and yes the old boarding pass did work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.