Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SlimRooster
... change the info at the ticket counter and have them issue a new boarding pass. The change seems to be instantaneous - once it's updated the boarding pass will show TSA Pre-Check.
Thank you, this did work today at GSP, and I think I see how to prevent a recurrence for future trips.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Still free

My wife and I haven't gotten around to getting Global Entry yet, but we both got precheck this morning at MCO the old fashioned free way.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM United MM, Marriott P for life
My theory is that, like all links between computer systems, that the link between Delta and the TSA can occasionally be down. If that occurs when you check-in you will not get pre-check, even with a KTN. I base that on my own experiences and others on this forum. I too have not gotten pre-check even though I have Global Entry. In every case I called in or in person asked to be unchecked-in. When I checked-in again I have always gotten pre-check. I would highly recommend that everyone with a KTN do the same. Also if you didn't make your reservation with Delta or anything strange happened during the booking process, have the agent re-enter your KSN.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Bob111
My theory is that, like all links between computer systems, that the link between Delta and the TSA can occasionally be down. If that occurs when you check-in you will not get pre-check, even with a KTN. I base that on my own experiences and others on this forum. I too have not gotten pre-check even though I have Global Entry. In every case I called in or in person asked to be unchecked-in. When I checked-in again I have always gotten pre-check. I would highly recommend that everyone with a KTN do the same. Also if you didn't make your reservation with Delta or anything strange happened during the booking process, have the agent re-enter your KSN.
I guess some people just have bad luck w/ this... I have never missed PreCheck once on either DL or AA since I got GE almost 2 years ago and I am at the airport multiple times every week.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Bob111
If the connection between Delta's and TSA's servers went down, no one would be able to get a boarding pass as Delta would not be able to run passenger info through Secure Flight.

TSA never said that Precheck would be guaranteed to anyone, even trusted travelers. The randomness is part of the system. With a KTN, your chances are very high to get Precheck, but they are not 100%.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dustman81
If the connection between Delta's and TSA's servers went down, no one would be able to get a boarding pass as Delta would not be able to run passenger info through Secure Flight.

TSA never said that Precheck would be guaranteed to anyone, even trusted travelers. The randomness is part of the system. With a KTN, your chances are very high to get Precheck, but they are not 100%.
Randomness is a big part of the reason it works. For example the metal scanners that are used for PreCheck passengers are set to randomly alarm even if the passenger clears the device. Found out the other day when it went off as I went through. The TSA agents saw my look of befuddlement and told me it was the device doing a random selection. Sucks for the passengers behind you also. Apparently they must give you the hand job, record a number off the metal detector, and then reset it before anyone else goes through.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The TSA agents saw my look of befuddlement and told me it was the device doing a random selection. Sucks for the passengers behind you also. Apparently they must give you the hand job, record a number off the metal detector, and then reset it before anyone else goes through.
Where was this? My experience has been that at most stations they just route you through the nude-o-scope if you get the random beep at the WTMD.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Howste
Where was this? My experience has been that at most stations they just route you through the nude-o-scope if you get the random beep at the WTMD.
It was at DTW. I asked but was told the nude-o-scope was only an option if I had actually set off the alarm. Since it was a random check alarm, a hand job was required.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Has anyone with a KTN already attached to their PNR who didn't get Pre at OLCI for whatever reason done this successfully?
I have, twice. Once was for my wife. Checked in online for our honeymoon, and she didn't have PC. Called in an an agent was able to add it manually. Unfortunately, I do not remember if we had to HUCA, nor do I remember if we were able to refresh it online or just have the new pass printed at the ticket desk. But we got it.

Second instance, I was at MCO. B6 was flying us to LAL for an airshow, and even though I had provided them with all my info, at the last minute they randomly gave everyone a "boarding pass" and a "seat assignment" (since we had to pass through security and board a charter flight). In the process, my KTN wasn't transferred. So I just went up to one of the employees at the ticket counter, kindly asked if my KTN could be re-added, printed a new BP, and I got to skip the zoo of MCO security (and got first dibs on treats at the gate)

Originally Posted by Howste
My experience has always been that if I set it off, they just wave the wand real quick (it's usually a belt buckle or a metal eyelet in my boots, and an excessively-sensitively-tuned machine went nuts); if the wand doesn't sense anything, I just go. If it's the belt, they make me take the belt off and then go back through the detector.

Last edited by brocklee9000; Oct 23, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I have, twice. Once was for my wife. Checked in online for our honeymoon, and she didn't have PC. Called in an an agent was able to add it manually. Unfortunately, I do not remember if we had to HUCA, nor do I remember if we were able to refresh it online or just have the new pass printed at the ticket desk. But we got it.

Second instance, I was at MCO. B6 was flying us to LAL for an airshow, and even though I had provided them with all my info, at the last minute they randomly gave everyone a "boarding pass" and a "seat assignment" (since we had to pass through security and board a charter flight). In the process, my KTN wasn't transferred. So I just went up to one of the employees at the ticket counter, kindly asked if my KTN could be re-added, printed a new BP, and I got to skip the zoo of MCO security (and got first dibs on treats at the gate)

My experience has always been that if I set it off, they just wave the wand real quick (it's usually a belt buckle or a metal eyelet in my boots, and an excessively-sensitively-tuned machine went nuts); if the wand doesn't sense anything, I just go. If it's the belt, they make me take the belt off and then go back through the detector.
As for the WTMD we were meaning the random beep where even though you didn't set it off that machine has decided to randomly force a full body check. The machine is then locked until reset by a supervisor.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

EWR as usual doesn't have a Pre lane open. it doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day, I've never gone through when it's open. I can't figure out why they wasted the $ on signs while they don't provide the service.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
EWR as usual doesn't have a Pre lane open. it doesn't matter what day of the week or what time of day, I've never gone through when it's open. I can't figure out why they wasted the $ on signs while they don't provide the service.
My experience as well. a dragon usually is there and gets me to an id checker faster and I get the yellow slip that allows shoes to stay on and avoid the scanner but it's still a pain being in the long line behind other flyers who don't have it and are clueless. Ewr is big enough for a dedicated precheck line
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
One line to one cheker and then one line to baggage. Checker gave out Blue passes. Jacket and shoes stayed on but computer out. No scanner - magnetometer but 20 minutes ro get through early on a Saturday morning.

The Club is still unupdated.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
One line to one cheker and then one line to baggage. Checker gave out Blue passes. Jacket and shoes stayed on but computer out. No scanner - magnetometer but 20 minutes ro get through early on a Saturday morning.

The Club is still unupdated.
They need a separate precheck lane there. I have spent 15 minutes in line at ear on a Sunday. The club needs a makeover but at least there are work areas with cubicles and I really like the bartender that is there on Sunday afternoons he is very friendly
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
Booked the fam on US two years ago, and accidentally put my wife's US dividend # in her KTN field. She has had TSA Pre ever since. Very annoying !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.