Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old May 1, 12, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by monkeshine View Post
So I guess DL did sign me up. Not sure how the TSA would know I am GE though, unless there is a way to use your Nexus or GE enabled Passport to scan your way in? I guess I will have to read the rest of the thread now :-(
In theory TSA could now match you to the CBP Global Entry record based on your Secure Flight info (name, gender, and date of birth) without needing the PASSID number. Whether they do or not... who knows?
Old May 2, 12, 6:24 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Have GE and was delighted last week when I was waived over to the pre-check line at LGA for a flight to ATL. Even the SP line was long... bet I saved 15 min~
Old May 2, 12, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I know I will be at PM through at least March of 2014. I have fortunately been 100% at being chosen and don't have GE or Nexus and know it is because I have PM status with Delta.

If I don't fly enough in 13 to keep PM status for 14 and drop to gold and don't obtain GE or nexus, will I also drop out from being eligible to use the TSA trusted travellers line or once it is already in my profile will it be there for good???
Old May 2, 12, 8:01 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I know I will be at PM through at least March of 2014. I have fortunately been 100% at being chosen and don't have GE or Nexus and know it is because I have PM status with Delta.

If I don't fly enough in 13 to keep PM status for 14 and drop to gold and don't obtain GE or nexus, will I also drop out from being eligible to use the TSA trusted travellers line or once it is already in my profile will it be there for good???
I seem to recall there have been a few Golds who have reported getting the invite and are using Pre-Check without a Known Traveller number, so I think you should be good even with Gold. It could also be that once invited, it is permanent and you will still have access even if you completely lose status.
Old May 2, 12, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I just entered my GE # in my Delta profile. So whats next? I check in and pre-check is printed on my boarding pass? What are the benies? Don't have to remove shoes, belts, laptop stays in carry-on? Get patted down by a hot TSA agent?
Old May 2, 12, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
I just entered my GE # in my Delta profile. So whats next? I check in and pre-check is printed on my boarding pass? What are the benies? Don't have to remove shoes, belts, laptop stays in carry-on? Get patted down by a hot TSA agent?
My application is still under review, so I haven't gotten any number yet. But the last two times I flew out of the Delta terminal at LGA, over the past two weeks, I was told that I was eligible for the "special line", my terminology. I don't remember quite honestly what the TSA agent called it.

I went through without removing anything from my bags or my carry on, except for my cell phone. The TSA agent at that line said I should remove that as that might set off the alarm. It was such a breeze. I could very easily get used to this.
Old May 2, 12, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
So whats next?
Make sure you add it to any existing itineraries at least 72 hours before they begin. Delta doen't automatically transfer this information over from your updated profile to the itineraries you've already booked.

I check in and pre-check is printed on my boarding pass?
Nope. It is embedded in your BP, but there is no way to verify before/during/after printing that it was submitted correctly. When you scan your BP at security, it will indicate whether you were selected for pre-check or not for this trip. I had quite a few "not selected" days before my first time getting to go through pre-check, but there was no way to confirm if I was actually "not selected" or my info was just not properly included in my BP.

What are the benies? Don't have to remove shoes, belts, laptop stays in carry-on? Get patted down by a hot TSA agent?
IF selected for pre-check (remember that you won't know until you enter security, so you must be prepared for the traditional screening), you leave your liquids and laptop in the bag and don't have to take off your belt or shoes (as long as they don't set off the metal detector).

In the winter they were requiring that wool overcoats be removed, but otherwise you can leave on jackets and outerwear as well.
Old May 2, 12, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I went and got GE just for this program about a month ago. I have now been through the pre-check line twice. Once in LAX and once in ATL. My wife (GM) does not have GE, and hasn't taken any steps to participate in this program, but she was able to go through the Pre-Check line at LGA while on business. Then in ATL (we were together) she was denied and had to wait with everyone else while I was able to go through.

I'm not sure if that helps anyone determine if their eligible or not, but there it is.
Old May 2, 12, 2:37 pm

I dont have GE or anything like that. Just regular old platinum flyer. I don't know if I'm part of the program now, but TSA directed me through the pre-check lane in LAX this past week.
Old May 2, 12, 3:10 pm

Buyer Beware

As I said before, I'm 0 for 22 going through ATL and DTW after getting my GE. Contacted Delta who said this was a TSA program. So I contacted the CBP who administer GE and they again directed me to the TSA. TSA tells me that Delta controls the membership and that I should contact them as to why I'm not getting selected.

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't specifically get my GE for this purpose. 0 for 22 is definitely not random at all. I have my profile set up and can confirm that my Membership Number/PASSID is a 9 digit number which I then put into my Delta profile under Known Traveller Number (or whatever it is called).
Old May 2, 12, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mhop1027 View Post
As I said before, I'm 0 for 22 going through ATL and DTW after getting my GE. Contacted Delta who said this was a TSA program. So I contacted the CBP who administer GE and they again directed me to the TSA. TSA tells me that Delta controls the membership and that I should contact them as to why I'm not getting selected.

I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't specifically get my GE for this purpose. 0 for 22 is definitely not random at all. I have my profile set up and can confirm that my Membership Number/PASSID is a 9 digit number which I then put into my Delta profile under Known Traveller Number (or whatever it is called).
When you click on add/edit TSA secure flight info for an itinerary, does the number show up there? It didn't save correctly the first several times I put my number in.

Also, since I assume you've received your physical card by now, it couldn't hurt to double check that the info saved in your Delta profile EXACTLY matches what CBP has on file for you (name/number).

This is exactly what's frustrating about the "encoded in the BP" mess. Couldn't they at least add an icon or line showing that your pre-check data is valid, even if the actual selection is random?
Old May 2, 12, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
I just had my first precheck experience after getting beeped out the first time. Fantastic. The metal detectors must be set more lightly, because I have an artificial joint and was able to breeze through anyway.
Old May 2, 12, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
As I said before, I'm 0 for 22 going through ATL and DTW after getting my GE.
In the 3 months/6 flights I've had GE, I've not once NOT gotten selected for PreCheck. Most flights ATL-LGA.

Agree with the other poster on double checking your known traveler number in your secure flight info. If it's off that may throw you aside.

Saw some other questions about logistics of using GE and PreCheck. There was a good thread over in the Amex MR forum, but I can't seem to find it right now and need to head to my gate. HOpefully someone else can grab the link.
Old May 2, 12, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
Make sure you add it to any existing itineraries at least 72 hours before they begin. Delta doen't automatically transfer this information over from your updated profile to the itineraries you've already booked.

Nope. It is embedded in your BP, but there is no way to verify before/during/after printing that it was submitted correctly. When you scan your BP at security, it will indicate whether you were selected for pre-check or not for this trip. I had quite a few "not selected" days before my first time getting to go through pre-check, but there was no way to confirm if I was actually "not selected" or my info was just not properly included in my BP.

IF selected for pre-check (remember that you won't know until you enter security, so you must be prepared for the traditional screening), you leave your liquids and laptop in the bag and don't have to take off your belt or shoes (as long as they don't set off the metal detector).

In the winter they were requiring that wool overcoats be removed, but otherwise you can leave on jackets and outerwear as well.
Thanks, seems like easy breazy! Like GE, I would pay to have the garauntee of using pre-check every time, all the time.
Old May 2, 12, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First

Feel free not to answer if you think this is too personal of a question. But for your GE interview/application, did they seem concerned about anything in your past? (i.e. legal trouble that were not enough to warrant a deny). Also, how many years have you had your DL account and what's your lifetime MQM?

I have a theory that PreCheck is not as random as we think. That based on the details of a person's history, they adjust the "randomness" of PreCheck. For example, a 2MM with a spotless GE background check would get "randomly" selected 1% of the time. While a brand new customer with a few misdemeanor offences, might get selected 95% of the time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: