Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:08 pm

the precheck line at MCO this afternoon was the longest that i have ever seen, which means that it had at least a dozen people in it

i did observe, however, that about half of them were elderly and not only didn't seem to know what precheck was, but seemed unfamiliar with airport security in general

so, it does look like some non frequent fliers are getting routed into the precheck line, but this afternoon that did not result in any kind of traffic jam or delay
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by squatch
the precheck line at MCO this afternoon was the longest that i have ever seen, which means that it had at least a dozen people in it

i did observe, however, that about half of them were elderly and not only didn't seem to know what precheck was, but seemed unfamiliar with airport security in general

so, it does look like some non frequent fliers are getting routed into the precheck line, but this afternoon that did not result in any kind of traffic jam or delay

Anyone know when the new application process for PreCheck will be available on TSA website? All it says is Fall 2013...would love to apply once it is as I don't have nexus...
Old Oct 24, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
ABTC -- assuming that's what you mean by APEC holders -- do rather frequently clear US passport control faster than even US citizen kiosk-users (GE-user or APC-users, whether considered jointly or separately).

For transits or arrivals at IAD, it's getting more routine on my trips that ABTC-using, non-NA APEC nationals get in faster than: (a) GE-using US citizens like myself at IAD; (b) GE and/or APC kiosk users at ORD or JFK.

Unfortunately, I doubt that the US is going to give US citizen ABTC users access to the ABTC lines whenever DHS stops dragging its feet and allows me to get it.
I would suspect so with respect to the second paragraph as IAD has a much larger TATL operation than a TPAC operation.
Yes, that is what I mean.
(ABTC is the card, APEC is the scheme.)
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by squatch

Like I said it's all the GE folks who don't travel a lot. When I applied for GE there were lines of old folks that didn't want to wait at customs anymore. Can't wait for them to back up the GE machines too.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Bunch of old people yesterday in the PreCheck line at MSP. One of the TSA agent kept shouting out that it was all about speed and what people did NOT need to do. I added my own helpful positive reinforcement to those around me about how fast things used to be. BTW, it was my first International PreCheck.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by N830MH
Great news!!

Delta will have PreCheck at PHX terminal 3 sometime in mid-November 2013.
PHX has been up and running for a couple weeks now at T3.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
In deference to the TSA agents involved, I won't mention the city, but yesterday, I was behind a couple of these newbies in a PC line. The befuddled woman in front if me was holding up the line as she took off jewelry and dug in her suitcase. Ultimately, she pulled a half finished Diet Coke out of said suitcase, dropping it on the floor. Apparently, the cap wasn't tight and soda poured onto the floor.

At this point, the TSA agents started shaking their heads and openly discussing how wrong all of this is. The TSA agents, though, blame the airlines for pushing all of these people into the Pre-Check line. I chimed in, saying it was fun while it lasted, but PC as we knew it seems to be gone. The gentleman operating the bag x-ray said he had just been saying the same thing, and the other agents nodded, even the agent guarding the puddle of diet coke and the agent standing with the woman who now needed personal scanning, since she had failed twice in her attempt to get through the metal detector.

Despite this, I still made it through security faster than it would have taken to go through the regular line.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Precheck is still running smooth a DTW lower level this morning. There is a person checking the passes and denying entry and sending people to the long line that don't have the banner on their boarding pass. Was a huge timesaver for me this morning, was through security in under two minutes and the the non tsa line was pretty long.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
as i mentioned in ORD the other day the line was 50 deep, once i got up and got the 3 beep it took 20 seconds. One person cannot clear people fast enough into the precheck lane, or the person was slower and not able to keep up.

It was still quicker, but will have now add 15 min buffer for pre-check, where for awhile i knew it would be less than 5 min from BP through security.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Just got this text from my sister who has no status with Delta and flies once a year:

"I always get the precheck lanes. Don't have to take off shoes, etc. Don't know why, but I like!"
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Like I said it's all the GE folks who don't travel a lot. When I applied for GE there were lines of old folks that didn't want to wait at customs anymore. Can't wait for them to back up the GE machines too.
That doesn't explain the non-US citizens I saw in the pre lane at JFK.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
That doesn't explain the non-US citizens I saw in the pre lane at JFK.
I'm not a US citizen and I consistently have PreCheck
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:47 am

Got the same email from CLEAR. As you may have noticed, CLEAR's email makes it sound like this will be advantageous, but who knows? Per the email, "PreCheck eligible CLEARmembers can use the CLEARlane as usual to avoid the long lines. We'll scan your boarding pass and bring you to the PreCheck screening lane (if eligible for that flight) where you can keep your shoes and belt on, etc."

Anybody have any further information/thoughts on this new integration?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
I haven't checked that email account, but that's weird. I mean, unless the PreCheck line is long, which I guess since they keep wanting to add more people, it could be, but if the line isn't long how does Clear help or save time?

I never use Clear (unless for some reason I don't have PreCheck, and that has yet to happen). Still, I don't see me renewing my membership next month.

I just read that the MCO Clear has moved to be closer to PreCheck which makes it like SFO where the two are adjacent. I still can't see $120-$180 worth of benefit for if/when I don't get PreCheck

Last edited by iamhereandthere; Oct 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm Reason: Correcting info.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I'm not a US citizen and I consistently have PreCheck
Canadians don't count.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.