Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by tonypct
Just completed my application for the TSA Pre-check program. Now just waiting to get my interview scheduled.
Are you referring to Global Entry? PreCheck does not have an interview.
GE is US Customs, PreCheck is TSA.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM
Had the pre-check for the first time yesterday - at LAX, even with SDC into an earlier flight and Y seat. (I don't have GE or NX or anything else)

It is awesome!

Some TSA agents were being trained about it. They had someone taking pictures of the process as well.

I hope this is rolled out everywhere soon - its the same database after all.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Just completed my application for the TSA Pre-check program. Now just waiting to get my interview scheduled.
Not really possible. There's no direct application for PreCheck.

You are either invited or a member of a recognized trusted traveler program such as Sentri or Nexus or Global Entry.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
LGA Pre-check

Two minutes from curb - to check-in - and through security. Terminal D, Saturday morning at 10:30am. Zero wait at SkyPriority check-in counter, ID checker, or Pre-check lane.

So far, 4 for 4 (3 MIA/AA and 1 LGA/DL).
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jspira
Not really possible. There's no direct application for PreCheck.

You are either invited or a member of a recognized trusted traveler program such as Sentri or Nexus or Global Entry.
Really? Gee, then I wonder what that online form was that I just completed and submitted to the GOES web site? Hmmmm.... Maybe it was spam.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? Gee, then I wonder what that online form was that I just completed and submitted to the GOES web site? Hmmmm.... Maybe it was spam.
As the others have already stated, it's a form for SENTRI, NEXUS and Global Entry enrollment managed by US Customs. You are applying for one of those programs (Global Entry presumably), not TSA PreCheck. While you can use your Known Traveler Number from these programs to participate in TSA PreCheck, they are very much different programs and having a Known Traveler Number is not a requirement for TSA PreCheck participation (if you've been invited). If you received any communication from Delta about the program, you've likely been invited. Others claim to have been included without receiving any communication at all. It seems to be limited to Delta Gold's or higher. Note, that if you have little or no international travel in the future and you've already been invited, there's little point in applying for Global Entry. I didn't really have enough international travel to justify it, but I did it anyways since my AMEX Plat card covered the $100 fee. I have yet to enter my Known Traveler Number in my Delta profile, but I've been approved for the PreCheck lane for every flight I've taken except for those involving international segments.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Last Monday morning, ATL is a typical zoo. I used the south checkpoint because I was flying out of T8 (literally 30 feet past that security line), and for the first time ever, I got the pre-clear. It took me under 4 minutes from curb to gate... That has to be a record for ATL.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So here's my experience. I have no status with DL, but I had entered my PASSID from GE on the website before booking a recent trip (JFK-SLC). My partner entered his PASSID after actually flying the outbound.

At SLC, nothing was on either of our boarding passes. The regular security line was very very long (into the skybridge to the parking lot). The gate-keeper (don't remember if it was a SLC, DL or TSA employee) asked if we had our GE card. I don't have one since my participation pre-dates the card, and I told my partner he wouldn't need his. I did subsequently manage to convince someone to at least try and scan our boarding passes. Mine beeped as OK, but my partners did not. So I got to use PreCheck, which was fantastic, and they let my partner use the elite line, which took an extra 10 minutes, but still probably saved 20 more from the regular line.

I'm guessing that his PASSID didn't properly carry over to his reservation based on some posts up-thread due to the timing of entering it into the system. We didn't know if that was the case or whether he was just randomized out of the program that day.

In any event, here are my questions.

1) I'm flying LGA-ATL r/t in a few weeks. Both airports have PreCheck. I assume nothing will print on my boarding pass (although PrezVander's experience was the opposite of mine). I will try to convince them to scan it regardless -- will that be an issue given the physical set-up of the checkpoint?

2) If I get unlucky and am randomized out, will they let me use the elite line? (Assuming it's shorter). Will having a Global Entry card help in this particular situation? I can pay $15 to get one, I think it takes a week or so, but I'd have no other use for it.

I could bring my passport with the "CBP" sticker, but they might not know what that is, and my passport is currently out for renewal, so I'd have to bring the old one, assuming I get it back in time.

Any advice appreciated.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Could have been GE, but it wasn't the pre-check program.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ijgordon
1) I'm flying LGA-ATL r/t in a few weeks. Both airports have PreCheck. I assume nothing will print on my boarding pass (although PrezVander's experience was the opposite of mine). I will try to convince them to scan it regardless -- will that be an issue given the physical set-up of the checkpoint?
No idea about the specifics of that airport, but you could always bring a print out from the Delta or GOES website showing PreCheck and/or Global Entry eligibility. The GE card has no formal value for PreCheck other than for verification of eligibility, so a print out should be sufficient.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Did you actually read the form you filled out?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Did you actually read the form you filled out?
Nah. I just filled out all the requests for confidential information, submitted my credit card number to pay the $100 fee and then sat back and waited.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: DM, KM,
No pre check today

So why didn't i get pre check today at ATL? 1st time since the program inception that I didn't clear and that's probably at least 20 flights. And, I was on a short time frame and the line at South security was terrible! TSA says it's totally random. 2 more DMs behind me as well. No one in the pre check line. I did check a bag today--does that make a difference?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Maybe it was. But it wasn't an application for PreCheck.

If you were on GOES, it was GE, Nexis, or Sentri. Global Entry - as others have stated - is a separate program. The tie-in is that you can submit your trusted traveler number to a PreCheck participating airline and you may then be selected for PreCheck if flying on that airline to a qualifying destination.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Miniflyer
So why didn't i get pre check today at ATL? 1st time since the program inception that I didn't clear and that's probably at least 20 flights. And, I was on a short time frame and the line at South security was terrible! TSA says it's totally random. 2 more DMs behind me as well. No one in the pre check line. I did check a bag today--does that make a difference?
Checking a bag doesn't seem to make any difference, and I would be very surprised if it did considering you can decide to check a bag after you print your BP.

Random is random, and could result in either way in anytime, of course depending on if there are variables that factor into their random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.