Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:59 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
GE and Nexus are not options for those who object to government collection of biometrics.
The government has this info already. If DHS decides to make you the target of their affection - you will be so f**ked. They already have all of the data in different databases and have a lot more.

Objections to NEXUS or GE because Big Brother will collect info they don't have is naive. THEY ALREADY HAVE IT. All of it. nothing in the application or interview was anything the feds didn't already have somewhere.

And if you're under 30 you've probably posted it all on public websites anyway. Posting cellphone photos in near real-time online with GPS embedded leaves a bread trail of where you are. Who needs a private detective to follow someone?

As flyersic alluded, the NSA has connections directly to the cell carriers and email providers. There isn't enough staff to target everyone all of the time but they can do a real effective job of targeting a few. Almost all phone calls travel over IP so tapping fiber trunks will put one in the middle of a huge data stream.

/rant
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:05 am

I think this clears up certain questions that have been raised on this and other threads. All verbatim from TSA or GOES web sites, bolding added by me for emphasis:

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.

For TSA PreCheck:
Certain members of CBP's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS, and frequent travelers from participating airlines that have been invited to opt-in qualify to participate.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is announcing plans to implement a TSA Pre✓™ application process. The TSA Pre✓™ fee-based application process will allow U.S. citizens the opportunity to apply for expedited screening without a passport.

Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for TSA Pre✓™, as they are more likely to be selected for TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the TSA Pre✓™ application process.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spamkiller
I will have to disagree. While my wife was GM, she got precheck. She is a Philippine citizen, but a permanent resident.
But did she get because she was a GM or because she had GE? There have been reports of non-citizens getting access via status because DL does not know their citizenship, but getting rejected once they got GE and started using their trusted traveller number. The question is whether GE "guarantees" access.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Starblazer
Oh, and don't forget that GE/Nexus gets you Australian SmartGate also. I just used that this past week and it was nice.
Are there any additional forms, interviews, or actions required to be eligible for smart gate?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by some dude
Why not just get Global Entry and guarantee that it will work instead of playing the lottery?
I have ge (over a year) and entered it in my profile but have not received pre check
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kburges
I have ge (over a year) and entered it in my profile but have not received pre check
You probably entered the wrong number. What you need to enter is the "Pass ID" number from the back of your GE card, not one of the other numbers on the card. I had the wrong one on there also at first. Also make sure your profile name matches your GE name (nicknames etc.).
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:58 pm

Also make sure it is in the right box. It has to be in the Known Traveler Number box, not the redress box. The latter is for people who are trying to get their name cleared!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Originally Posted by MJonTravel
I've gotten it in MCO, TPA, and some other place I can't remember. The common thread was that TSA PreCheck appeared to be very slow in both instances. Slow as in not very much going on at all.
Makes me think that PreCheck duty is a perk for TSA agents. Just stand around and waive FFs through at 1 - 3 per minute.

But on the hand-swab question — how often do you get checked with a swab on palms or carry-on zippers in the regular vs. PreCheck? For me, this has been maybe a couple of times per year at most. Do they check a certain percentage of pax or do they try for a certain number per hour? (Or are they just really suspicious that some extremist will get PreCheck status?)
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I get a hand swab 9 times out of 10 no matter what because I wear an insulin pump. Some airports have stopped doing that if you are in the Pre line, but not all.

They can swab my hands all they want. Just don't mess with the rest of the PreCheck experience.

@DCBob, I had a noobie in front of me at MCO 2 weeks ago. Based on his bag tag, he was Platinum Medallion, but it was like he'd never even heard of PreCheck.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MJonTravel
...he was Platinum Medallion, but it was like he'd never even heard of PreCheck.
Amex Centurion comp with same in-airport knowledge as your average Kettle.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Does anyone know the actual day when PreCheck is coming to SJC? Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:41 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by realjd
You probably entered the wrong number. What you need to enter is the "Pass ID" number from the back of your GE card, not one of the other numbers on the card. I had the wrong one on there also at first. Also make sure your profile name matches your GE name (nicknames etc.).
It must be an EXACT name match - first, middle and last - to your GE application.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by realjd
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Also make sure it is in the right box. It has to be in the Known Traveler Number box, not the redress box. The latter is for people who are trying to get their name cleared!
Originally Posted by puddinhead
It must be an EXACT name match - first, middle and last - to your GE application.
Remember, your PASSID is exactly nine digits in length - no letters, no spaces. Here's an official description of where to find it (pay close attention to the last page of this document):

http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/find_ge_card.pdf
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Remember, your PASSID is exactly nine digits in length - no letters, no spaces. Here's an official description of where to find it (pay close attention to the last page of this document):

http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/find_ge_card.pdf
Thxs I have used the kiosks on numerous occasion
without any problems.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:28 pm

Thxs I have used the kiosks on numerous occasion
without any problems.
CBP kiosks are independent of TSA AND the airlines. The profile on the airlines' FF page is where you can have an issue. If a middle name is entered in the secure passenger data but you have an initial in the middle name in your GE/NEXUS profile you won't get 3 beeps.

And you passenger data must match your passport if you fly international. My wife's NEXUS card and passport didn't match requiring a trip to Canada just to,get them to match before DL would change the names on their profile. They would't allow the passenger name to be different than the secure name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.