Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Old Aug 23, 13, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Sorry, posted in wrong area. Moved it over.

Last edited by DrJohn999; Aug 23, 13 at 2:27 pm Reason: move post
Old Aug 23, 13, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by DrJohn999 View Post
Anyone else run into this lately? Or do I just fit an explosive profile?
No profile. It's a random counter in the WTMD--periodically, it beeps an indicator to do the explosives swab. It's not something triggered by anything except whatever random counter they have installed in the WTMDs.
Old Aug 23, 13, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
No profile. It's a random counter in the WTMD--periodically, it beeps an indicator to do the explosives swab. It's not something triggered by anything except whatever random counter they have installed in the WTMDs.
+1 - Seems to happen to me about every 5 or 6 trips through ATL Precheck. There, it's like a single long beep for the indicator.

FWIW, when this happens, the TSA folks are usually pretty friendly and quick. They conduct the swab right at the end of the X-ray belt, and the last couple times the first thing they asked after telling me to step forward was if I could still see all my belongings. ^

08-22-2013, at IAD Pre-check
How is the trek from the PreCheck lanes to the DL gates at IAD? Is it worth my time to use Pre there if I'm also checking a bag, since I believe the Pre checkpoint and DL counters are in separate terminals?
Old Aug 23, 13, 3:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
How is the trek from the PreCheck lanes to the DL gates at IAD? Is it worth my time to use Pre there if I'm also checking a bag, since I believe the Pre checkpoint and DL counters are in separate terminals?
There is only one landside terminal at IAD. The walk from the DL counters to the PreCheck checkpoint is not long. Once you have cleared the checkpoint, the AeroTrain is another short walk away, and you will take it one stop to Concourse B.
Old Aug 23, 13, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by 14940674 View Post
There is only one landside terminal at IAD. The walk from the DL counters to the PreCheck checkpoint is not long. Once you have cleared the checkpoint, the AeroTrain is another short walk away, and you will take it one stop to Concourse B.
Sorry, my brain must have prematurely fried itself as the week was ending. I saw IAD and started thinking IAH. Doesn't help that I'm going to both over the next couple weeks.

Please excuse me while go double check that I booked tickets for the right cities on the right dates and then pour myself a drink...
Old Aug 23, 13, 4:23 pm

I've been GM since late January 2012 and still haven't received pre-check. Have others become GM and received pre-check since that time? Never once has it appeared on my boarding pass printed at home/kiosk or mobile. I read on FT that Delta now specifies on your boarding pass if you are eligible to participate, so I've never tried using the PreCheck line.

I've only entered my first and last names in my Delta profile, but it matches correctly in every location. Any idea if I need to add my middle name? I can't find anything else that may have prevented my inclusion in the program.
Old Aug 23, 13, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I've been 100% with my TTN from GE across all participating carriers. That's consistent with colleagues and consistent with TSA's now formally stated commitment to provide a higher selection % for those relying on an affirmative vetting process rather than a carriers's database alone.
Old Aug 23, 13, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I've never once missed precheck except on international flights. I'm 100% for domestic. N being at least 50 check-ins and probably more.
Old Aug 23, 13, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
I don't know if this is actually true, but I did not have a boarding pass when I got to LAS recently, and when I mentioned to the agent that I had Pre-check, she said that if she printed my boarding pass, Pre-check wouldn't work (vs. it just not being on the bp), and told me to use the kiosk instead. Has anyone else experienced this?
This has been a known issue, and one that plagues me occasionally (such as when the app won't let me get an eboarding pass and printable BP from dl.com doesn't have precheck on it etiher...). However, I've never been able to test whether the TA printed BP will get the three beeps, since it will not print out the word "PRECHECK" and you will not be allowed into the line.

08-22-2013, at IAD Pre-check after the annoying double-look at my boarding pass on iPhone (first to let you into the non-existent line and second to actually check your ID vs boarding pass), a different kind of beep sounded when I passed thru the metal detector. I automatically did a 180 and went thru the metal detector again, but that wasn't the reason.

A TSA agent then swiped my palms and tested for (I guess) explosive or drug residue. No problem, result was negative. The timing was such that my carry-on with laptop etc hadn't yet passed thru the x-ray, so I am assuming the check was a random-timed one much like they (used to? -- haven't gone there in years) have in Mexico City with the red-light green-light for screening on arrival.

Anyone else run into this lately? Or do I just fit an explosive profile?
Had it happen for the first time, a few weeks back at LAS. I was the only one in the precheck line, and it looked like there had been a lull for a while, since no agents were actually there to check my BP to see if I actually could get in the precheck line, and no one was at the computer. They finally sauntered over, I put my bad on the conveyor belt, walked through, and I swear there was a bit of a delayed reaction, because I was about to walk off with my carryon as the machine emitted a noise and the agent called me back for the palm swipe. It took about 10 seconds and I was on my way.
Old Aug 23, 13, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Happened to me a week ago as well for the first time. I have been pre-check for a while. I do think the swab checks have increased in the past month.
Old Aug 23, 13, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
I actually went for my global entry interview this Tuesday. He asked if I had any questions. I told him I was already TSA pre-check with Delta but should I go ahead and enter my global entry # for Delta. He said he would advise only entering the global entry # for airlines that I do not travel often. Not to mess up Delta TSA pre check. Did not ask him to clarify. I think once you start getting 100% tsa pre check, don't modify anything in your profile. I am 100% TSA pre check with Delta for the past year. Right at first I had trouble due to my middle name and Concur travel. Fixed it.
Old Aug 23, 13, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Make sure you have the "Mr. " or other choice as well as the "Jr" or other choice selected, as these do not always self-populate, hope this makes sense.
Old Aug 23, 13, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
OP - I've posted this information a half dozen times over the past couple months...

I was in the same boat as you...an original pre-check recipient. Don't listen to anyone who is telling you about interviews or known traveler numbers...people seem to think the way they got pre-check is the only way one gets pre-check...And the DL people have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to pre-check.

Like you, all of a sudden pre-check stopped working for me a couple months ago. After researching and reading posts on this site, I called DL. Of course, they insisted there was nothing wrong on their end, but, on the advice of others who had had the issue, I made them re-enter my name into the secure name field. This fixed the problem. Pre-check, which had gone from 100% to 0% returned to 100%. This was happening to me in May, and since then, I've gotten pre-check every time. It took an hour of begging DL to get them to fix the problem that was their fault, not TSAs.

You have to call 1-888-750-3284 to have your Secure Passenger Data information changed. You cannot do that online. Ask to speak to a manager. Don't waste your time with the first person who answers the phone. Just let her go on and on about it not being DL's issue. They are wrong, but they will never admit it. Ask her to change your name anyway and this will solve the problem. I had to repeat her name, which I had written down, point out that I had paid for 100 flights in 2013 and let her know that I was sending a letter to DL explaining because she wouldn't do this simple task I wasn't going to be able to fly DL anymore; I'd switch to American so I could get pre-check and avoid the extra time in security.

My issue was first name "BillyD" last name "Williams" which was fixed by having it changed to first name "Billy D" last name "Williams."

BTW, I was at BNA last week. The guy in front of me in the pre-check line didn't get the three beeps. The TSA agent told him if that kept happening, he should contact DL and insist they change his name in his secure profile. Obviously even the ground agents know about this, even if DL refuses to take its head out of the sand.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 23, 13 at 10:00 pm
Old Aug 24, 13, 4:32 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by puntamita View Post
I actually went for my global entry interview this Tuesday. He asked if I had any questions. I told him I was already TSA pre-check with Delta but should I go ahead and enter my global entry # for Delta. He said he would advise only entering the global entry # for airlines that I do not travel often. Not to mess up Delta TSA pre check. Did not ask him to clarify. I think once you start getting 100% tsa pre check, don't modify anything in your profile. I am 100% TSA pre check with Delta for the past year. Right at first I had trouble due to my middle name and Concur travel. Fixed it.
I tend to agree never mess something up that is working.
Old Aug 24, 13, 5:18 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I've been 100% with my TTN from GE across all participating carriers. That's consistent with colleagues and consistent with TSA's now formally stated commitment to provide a higher selection % for those relying on an affirmative vetting process rather than a carriers's database alone.
I'm also at 100% even getting 3 beeps t airports without prechek. That includes international travel. Even includes my current trip, ticketed by AF who append a lower case mr to the end of my first name. GE number is in my profile.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: