PLEASE Lower your seat back SLOWLY!!

Old Feb 21, 12, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Gold,Marriott Gold
PLEASE Lower your seat back SLOWLY!!

I have a real simple request (and I hope everyone can pass this on). If you want to lean back your seat on the plane...please feel free to do so. BUT PLEASE do it slowly!! I've almost had my laptop broken twice from someone in front just pushing the button and slamming their seat back. The top of my laptop gets stuck in the tray table "lock" area and just about snaps it off. (One of my colleagues actually had their screen broken a few months ago.)

I'm perfectly OK if you'd like to be comfortable...please do so with regards to others around you!!
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:14 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Yes, those are good manners to have and practice but unfortunately very few pax are thinking about your laptop. Much like riding motorcycles in traffic you must take care of yourself 1st and never, ever, assume people will do what they're supposed to do.

I really do agree that it sucks and people who slam their seat back should be flogged and left behind but snce you know it is likely to happen, I suggest you take steps to help mitigate damage to your laptop.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
Couldn't agree more with the OP. I always look back first, then recline slowly. I hardly ever see anyone else do that. A few years ago, the guy in front of me slammed his seat back into my computer and it went dead. Took a few weeks to get it working again as some damage had been done to my hard drive.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
not for nothing, but why not position your laptop so that in case such an incident happens again, the seatback won't interfere with your laptop?

As hard as I try not to do the same thing, some seatbacks are very sensitive in that they go back very fast even if you try to go back slowly.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:41 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
not for nothing, but why not position your laptop so that in case such an incident happens again, the seatback won't interfere with your laptop?

As hard as I try not to do the same thing, some seatbacks are very sensitive in that they go back very fast even if you try to go back slowly.
+1 on both counts.

As considerate as it is to recline slowly, posting on FT or any other online forum will reach a minute fraction of travelers. I always expect someone to recline quickly and take steps to be sure it won't damage my laptop or any other device I am using.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Agreed. I'm 100% in the "right to recline" camp, but I always go back slowly, and wish everyone would. It's really not that hard. Lean forward (so you're not exerting any pressure on the seat back), THEN press the button in, and then gradually lean back.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:42 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC

+1
I always assume the seat back in front of me will gone back unexpectedly and i am seldom let down.

I also try to go back slowly and i rarely go back all the way, except on red eyes, but try as I might I usually overshoot the slight recline I am trying to achieve as the seat back reclines too easily.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:44 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Ti22 View Post
Yes, those are good manners to have and practice but unfortunately very few pax are thinking about your laptop. Much like riding motorcycles in traffic you must take care of yourself 1st and never, ever, assume people will do what they're supposed to do.

I really do agree that it sucks and people who slam their seat back should be flogged and left behind but snce you know it is likely to happen, I suggest you take steps to help mitigate damage to your laptop.

Agreed. It would be great if people were respectful, but I have learned that you cannot count on common courtesy and common sense these days. You have to take action to prevent their actions from causung you grief. Assume the worst, plan ahead, and you will not have a broken laptop. It sucks, but life is better in the end.

If the guy next to me opens his laptop, newspaper, and orders a red wine, i assume there is a lot of potential that the wine is coming my way(especially if he puts it on the center console). I cover myself with the blanket DL provides for such cases... Seems sad, but i won't have stained clothes...
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Forget laptops... I will probably need knee replacement surgery at some point because of people slamming their seat back into my knees.

At 6'5" I am pretty much wedged into any economy seat (other than bulkhead/exit row), so I can't always adjust to let the seat in front of me recline.

My favorite was the person on a CRJ who repeatedly pressed back on their seat because my knees were keeping it from fully reclining. It hurt so bad my eyes were tearing up, but they actually had the audacity to turn around and glare at me because I was preventing them from reclining.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold

While I agree with OPs request, I also agree with you... I remember a couple years ago, when I pushed the button to recline my seat, I realized the spring or whatever mechanism in the seat was broken, and the seat just snapped into the reclined position, spilling the pax drink behind me. Embarassing...
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:51 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Not sure if it's against rules but I love to recline the moment we start climbing after liftoff. I always do it gently and slowly but I enjoy the angle of the aircraft climb when the seat is fully reclined. Once we level out I usually don't care for my seat at full recline unless sleeping.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
Agreed. I'm 100% in the "right to recline" camp, but I always go back slowly, and wish everyone would. It's really not that hard. Lean forward (so you're not exerting any pressure on the seat back), THEN press the button in, and then gradually lean back.
I'm in the 100% right to recline to. I do my best to soften the blow though. Sometimes, it will take me as long as a minute or two to fully recline the 3 or so inches that I am afforded.

OTOH, I've had seats that as soon as you put flesh to button, they act as if possessed; they snap back like the seatback was on some kind of a steam fired piston.
Old Feb 21, 12, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ti22 View Post
Not sure if it's against rules but I love to recline the moment we start climbing after liftoff. I always do it gently and slowly but I enjoy the angle of the aircraft climb when the seat is fully reclined. Once we level out I usually don't care for my seat at full recline unless sleeping.
You my friend, get the sexual connotation post of the week award.
Old Feb 21, 12, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Kettel, WN Companion Pass
OP, as a diamond shouldn't you be up front where you don't have to worry about this issue?
Old Feb 21, 12, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM 1.53MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
And.......

Here's another exciting thread on reclining. Discussion soon to be continued in the moderators guilty of premature evacuation thread.

In b4 the lock!

David

Search this Thread
Search Engine: