Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

IROPS message, but no IROPS to be found

Old Feb 19, 12, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond

One of my flights today triggered the IROPS message, that my flight had been delayed or cancelled and I could find new flights at no cost. Interestingly, the itinerary was 100% intact, but one of the legs was overbooked. I'm wondering if this is a new preemptive tool to relieve overbooking w/o paying out comp... I'm sure they got a few bites. Seems a little sneaky if that's actually what this was, and not just an (all too common) IT glitch. Any similar experiences?
Old Feb 19, 12, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Definitely unethical and, quite possibly, illegal! If it starts happening to others, I would write the DOT.
Old Feb 19, 12, 3:06 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
The message appears occasionally. I have seen it a few times on on-time itineraries without overbooked flights. Just another DL IT glitch.
Old Feb 19, 12, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Equipment swap? Change in flight number or operating carrier? Those can all trigger notifications even if the times haven't changed at all.

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
Definitely unethical and, quite possibly, illegal! If it starts happening to others, I would write the DOT.
DOT? Really?

OP, anyone who responds will not have access to your account so each one will be just speculation. Best thing you can do -- and the quickest way to find out the real answer -- is just call DL and ask them. The call is free.

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Almost any delay on your first flight seems to trigger the message that you might miss your connection. I got it yesterday even though my flight out of Boston was behind by only 5-10 minutes and my connection in ATL was over two hours.
Old Feb 19, 12, 3:17 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Almost any delay on your first flight seems to trigger the message that you might miss your connection. I got it yesterday even though my flight out of Boston was behind by only 5-10 minutes and my connection in ATL was over two hours.
I've had some minor delays trigger the notification as well. Sorry folks, but I suspect this is likely the case instead of some nefarious, evil plot by Delta.
Old Feb 19, 12, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
A 5 minute delay triggers this message and it's actually nice for intl. because it lets you rebook as you wish.
Old Feb 19, 12, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
+1

The DL T&Cs are that you must pay to change the ticket, even if there is a minor schedule change. To ignore their own terms and give one a chance at a free change should be illegal. Giving a choice to the individual should always be illegal, the DOT knows what is right for us.

This is also about consistancy. Since DL will not offer all free changes, they should not offer these to anybody. If the flight change is large enough, then the T&Cs allow relief.

DL must stop allowing some free changes. Choice is bad!!!
Old Feb 19, 12, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
I once used Gogo to check my flight mid-air to see which gate we were arriving into and which gate my connection was using. dl.com gave me the IROP warning that the flight I was currently enroute on was CX'd. This thread came to mind http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ht-midair.html.

It was trying to rebook me the next day. We arrived into ATL on time and I connected on time. No idea what made DL's own system think the flight was CX'd because clearly it wasn't. Was expecting grief boarding connection or to find my seat given away but everything was normal.

I have found using some iPhone apps that pull data from the FAA that sometimes I will get a notification that a flight will take off late, arrive late or some combination but all too often we seem to operate on or very close to the original schedule. What ever is triggering the FAA data to appear off must also trigger DL's own IROP trigger on occasion.

I have also noticed that half the time the FAA based app will know of gate changes when the DL app or the DL website do not, and half the time the DL app alerts me to a gate change but the app using FAA data never does, or does so much later.

Lately I have been very careful not to hang out in the club longer than normal when an app or even dl.com says my next flight is running late - I do not trust them that much.

Clearly the various systems that DL uses are not communicating with each other that well.

Last edited by bwhite; Feb 19, 12 at 10:02 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: