Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

State of Kentucky Forcing Former Comair Employees to Pay Back Unemployment

Old Feb 18, 12, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond

It seems as if when these people took a buyout from the company that one of the incentives to do so (besides the flight benefits and sev) waas that they could collect unemployment from the State of Kentucky. Now the state wants the money back from at least 150 workers despite the fact that the state had already approved the payments. Now workers who were left unemployed by Comair's downsizing will owe thousands of dollars to the state. Really sad. I don't know that I'd work for an airline in today's economy for it.

http://www.local12.com/news/local/st...-eMFhzS-g.cspx
Old Feb 18, 12, 12:07 pm

One of the things is...in Kentucky unemployment is funded 100% by the employer. So the money came from Comair who told the state that they (Comair} would not contest
the unemployment. In a side note...there were alot more ex-Comair employees that were
folded into Regional Elite Airline Services (about 840) that could be in the same boat as the Comair employees. REAS also told unemployment that they would not contest the ex-employees from drawing unemployment after taking a buyout.
Old Feb 18, 12, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OHDL1 View Post
One of the things is...in Kentucky unemployment is funded 100% by the employer. So the money came from Comair who told the state that they (Comair} would not contest
the unemployment. In a side note...there were alot more ex-Comair employees that were
folded into Regional Elite Airline Services (about 840) that could be in the same boat as the Comair employees. REAS also told unemployment that they would not contest the ex-employees from drawing unemployment after taking a buyout.
It seems Comair didn't contest the matter but it doesn't matter because Kentucky must follow the law and not statements made by Comair. Comair does not get to decide who collects and who does not, the state does. Either side of this matter can contest the outcome but only to enforce the law. So there is no way Comair can make, allow, or cause to happen the payment of benefits in violation of the law.

It was disingenuous of Comair to imply that by not contesting the award of benefits that benefits would be paid since they had no control over the matter. But what about employees who thought they could voluntarily quit, collect severance and still get unemployment?
Old Feb 19, 12, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
You're right. What's really interesting is I know someone who took a buy out. She applied for unemployment but was honest about how she and Comair parted ways. Her unemployment was denied on the spot even though Comair said she could get it. The woman in the video appears to have had the exact opposite experience. I feel bad for the employees who couldn't find another job right away. The State of Kentucky may decide that some of them owe as much as $20,000 from unemployment that wasn't due.

The whole thing is very unfortunate. The state seems to be punishing people who gave a lot of years of service to the airline and spent a lot of money in their state. These people were offered the buyout simply because of their salaries. Face it......they weren't offering buyouts to 1st year Flight Attendants. They were offering them to the most senior staff. Why? Because they were the best paid. The person I know spent 13 years with the company. She was very high on the seniority list. She was easily making what 2 rookie FA's were. It makes me sad that the state of Kentucky could act that way. Once they approved the unemployment their work should have been done.
Old Feb 19, 12, 8:10 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
It is unfortunate to be unemployed and now faced with this, but at the same time, you need to understand the law. I am a facing a similar situation with my current employer and am asking a lot of questions, not just listening to what my employer is saying. My employer operates in every state and HR has often spewed "opinions" that don't apply in my state.

Hard way to learn that lesson.
Old Mar 21, 21, 3:02 am
Suspended

Unemployment benefits help

Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
It is unfortunate to be unemployed and now faced with this, but at the same time, you need to understand the law. I am a facing a similar situation with my current employer and am asking a lot of questions, not just listening to what my employer is saying. My employer operates in every state and HR has often spewed "opinions" that don't apply in my state.

Hard way to learn that lesson.
I see you are having issues with your unemployment benefits. You can contact the unemployment private support team by email [email protected]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: