Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Empty seats in 1st... how do you handle it?

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by fti
True, but by being able to deplane, I would ask the GA why they either lied to me or didn't read their computer correctly, explaining that I was waiting in the gate area for the very reason of the UG (which they would have known by that point, since I would have told them earlier).
That's probably not the best approach but hey, that's you not me.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fti
True, but by being able to deplane, I would ask the GA why they either lied to me or didn't read their computer correctly, explaining that I was waiting in the gate area for the very reason of the UG (which they would have known by that point, since I would have told them earlier).
Not sure that approach will yield an UG, but maybe makes someone feel better?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti
Had that very issue last month so I can relate. Hoping DL will get more proactive in this area because it seems to be an increasing problem.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti
DL has been very clear that if you board the flight, you lose your right to the upgrade. The best way to handle the situation is to not board if there are any seats available in F (since most elites board even if not UG'd but on the list, your position on the list goes up very quickly). I ask the GA if F has checked in full, then ask if F has also boarded full. If she says yes and I board, and see an empty F seat, I ask the FA if anyone is in the restroom. If so, fine. If not, I would go back to the GA to question him/her about the empty seat. It has to be taken care of before the boarding door closes.
But as OP stated, he wouldn't have gotten the UG anyway. In this case I say lazy GA.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:00 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FetePerfection
That's probably not the best approach but hey, that's you not me.
Well, I wouldn't use those words I would use with the GA, but that would be what I would be trying to find out.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Amex Plat, DL Amex Res, HHonors Gold, Choice Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Deadtail
When someone upsets me I usually urinate in the bathroom waste basket. You could easily make this work in an airplane.
So you're the one who's been doing this?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC

If I am not #1 on the list, or near enough to the top for it to matter, I board in Y, secure my OH space and settle in. I don't lose sleep over another elite missing an UG.

If I am #1, I generally watch the F status either on the gate displays or the DL app. If its a short flight and I am on the bubble, I board and stow my bag. Not going to lose sleep over a missed UG on a <2 hr. flight, unless its an RJ.

Generally speaking I have developed a sense of if I am going to score a BF UG or not. If I am truly on the bubble and circumstances allow it, I will check my bags so that I can quickly and easily move up or hang out at the gate with just my laptop which goes under-seat.

I have consistently enjoyed >95% UG success for several years and I remind myself that I paid for coach so when an UG doesn't happen, I got exactly what I paid for. Over the last four years I am averaging >100 flights per year so I have been UG'd many, many times and have little to complain about when sheena or non-sheena puts me in the cabin I purchased.

Last edited by bwhite; Feb 18, 2012 at 6:33 am
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Jimbo7
Three weeks ago the seat next to me in BE on a lax-jfk flight was empty..

As they where closing the door I asked the FA about the empty seat and she said the recliner electronics was broken on that seat, so they wouldn't seat someone there..

I leaned over pushed all the buttons and it all worked just fine.. She quickly called the GA to find to next person on the upgrade list and moved them up form the back..

But if, I didn't show them it worked they would have left the seat open..
Just cause it worked the one time for you, doesn't mean it 'works'. Last thing a FA needs is a malfunctioning seat and the inevitable cry baby tactics by the medallion who took it.

What I don't understand, is why would you go and test the seat to see if it worked or not? Are you an airplane mechanic or something?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
On UA, doesn't matter if you board or not. If you are already seated in Y, and something is open in F they will come get in you Y with a new boarding pass. Don't know why they don't do this on DL, can't be that hard.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
On UA, doesn't matter if you board or not. If you are already seated in Y, and something is open in F they will come get in you Y with a new boarding pass. Don't know why they don't do this on DL, can't be that hard.
The real problem is that although DL's rules are clear, the GAs often are not clear on the rules (or ignore them). I'm happy to accept either policy - board and lose your place on the U/G list or be moved up front if you clear after you board - just as long as it is consistently applied.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
There are rare occasions when a paid F passenger buys 2 seats so they won't be disturbed (see Celebrity Sightings link). In that case, seat rightfully stays empty.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Deadtail
When someone upsets me I usually urinate in the bathroom waste basket. You could easily make this work in an airplane.
Nice.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by 5khours
For the most part DL does too. But as you will learn, we have some OCD control types who think they'll whip out printed emails and "school GA's about company policy while delaying a flight. Yeah, right....

But the grown up method that is very successful for me - if I'm close to #1 for UG, catch GA attention at a slow moment and simply ask nicely if I should board or not. 95% of the time they say go ahead and board. If a FC seat remained open they've come and moved me 100% of the time. About 5 or 6 times last year IIRC.

2 or 3 times last year I was close and the GA suggested to wait to board and I'm happy to say I'm 100% UG on those too.

There's obviously some gray areas that seem to make this a contentious topic but for the most part, behave like an adult and don't act entitled to UG and it always seems work out surprisingly well...
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:46 am

honestly, the best way to deal with delta's deliberate failure to process upgrades for empty seats in domestic F is to register a complaint every single time you see it. there's a decent chance they will throw some miles at you as a conciliatory gesture.

if everyone does this, delta may finally realize that it's more cost-effective to fix their upgrade policy than to allow GAs the discretion to skip processing upgrades or to decide for themselves whether to upgrade passengers from coach with the "secret"/official upgrade list (the one that does not remove your place on the list when you board).
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
But as OP stated, he wouldn't have gotten the UG anyway. In this case I say lazy GA.
Not much annoys me when flying but I scratch my shorts when GA's say F has boarded full when it hasn't. Even more so now because reduced capacity --> fewer flights --> fewer seats available for UG. But that doesn't necessarily mean that a GA is lazy.

At the time of boarding, their primary (only?) concern is completing the process timely. Sometimes kettles try to board in Zone 1... sometimes the GA boots them to the back, sometimes not. All the GA is thinking about is getting through this as quickly as possible.

To see if F has really boarded full, the GA needs to actually look at the screen and this is where it falls apart. IME most GA's simply won't take the time away from scanning BP's to see if F really boarded full because their focus is on getting everyone onboard as fast as possible. It is easier just to say yes than take an extra minute to look but this is difficult when there is only one GA. FWIW, I usually find they will check to see if F has actually boarded full when there are 2 GA's at the gate, but not when there is only one.

IMO it is generally not as much about laziness on their part (though there is certainly some of that) as it is their focus on getting everyone on the plane. DL could make this a little easier for everyone by having a small monitor right next to the BP scanner but don't count on it happening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.