Why was Delta agent so unhelpful?

Old Feb 17, 12, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Why was Delta agent so unhelpful?

Sorry for the long story but still really confused about the discrepancy between a Delta agent in ATL and the Diamond Medallion line:

My father is a Diamond Medallion who misconnected in Atlanta due to a Delta mechanical problem delaying his outbound flight. He knows nothing really about DL policies - just flies a lot without caring about anything (which on a side note might actually be a better approach) - so I called the Diamond line before he got on his outbound to try to help him out. The best they said they could do is put him on standby for the next two flights out to his final destination because both of those flights were oversold. There would be no guarantee he'd be able to get home that night - if he couldn't get off those standby lists he'd have to spend the night in ATL is what they said.

When he landed in ATL he sprinted to get to his original flight, but the door was already closed. They sent him to the Delta travel rebook desk where the agent said he wasn't activated on the standby list and that she couldn't do it at this point, only the flight's gate agent could. My father insisted she call the gate agent to do so, and after a brief phone call she informed him he was #43 on the Standby list. After it was clear he wasn't making it out on that flight or the next according to this agent, she handed him a hotel and meal vouchers and my father left the airport for the hotel.

When I found out, I couldn't believe he was just #43 on a Standby list so I called the Diamond line myself and the agent who answered apologized to me and said he could get my father confirmed on the next flight out (although he could not assign a seat since it was under gate control at that point). I called my father, he came back, and he got his seat assignment for that next flight out - so all ended up OK.
Apparently DL's policy is that in case of IROPS they can confirm a Diamond Medallion on the next flight even if it is oversold. Why is it that the agent at Delta travel rebook couldn't implement this if it is true?
Old Feb 17, 12, 3:29 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by dmorbust View Post
Sorry for the long story but still really confused about the discrepancy between a Delta agent in ATL and the Diamond Medallion line:

My father is a Diamond Medallion who misconnected in Atlanta due to a Delta mechanical problem delaying his outbound flight. He knows nothing really about DL policies - just flies a lot without caring about anything (which on a side note might actually be a better approach) - so I called the Diamond line before he got on his outbound to try to help him out. The best they said they could do is put him on standby for the next two flights out to his final destination because both of those flights were oversold. There would be no guarantee he'd be able to get home that night - if he couldn't get off those standby lists he'd have to spend the night in ATL is what they said.

When he landed in ATL he sprinted to get to his original flight, but the door was already closed. They sent him to the Delta travel rebook desk where the agent said he wasn't activated on the standby list and that she couldn't do it at this point, only the flight's gate agent could. My father insisted she call the gate agent to do so, and after a brief phone call she informed him he was #43 on the Standby list. After it was clear he wasn't making it out on that flight or the next according to this agent, she handed him a hotel and meal vouchers and my father left the airport for the hotel.

When I found out, I couldn't believe he was just #43 on a Standby list so I called the Diamond line myself and the agent who answered apologized to me and said he could get my father confirmed on the next flight out (although he could not assign a seat since it was under gate control at that point). I called my father, he came back, and he got his seat assignment for that next flight out - so all ended up OK.
Apparently DL's policy is that in case of IROPS they can confirm a Diamond Medallion on the next flight even if it is oversold. Why is it that the agent at Delta travel rebook couldn't implement this if it is true?
No such policy, even if you are a DM or KM, DL wont put you on an oversold flight. You will have to standby, but i doubt there could have been 42 other DMs on that flight.

Your dad should have gone to the departure gate, because "oversold" doesnt always mean the ticketed passengers will board the plane. Also, you have to be physically present at the gate to get activated unto the standby list.

I will advice that your dad starts getting familiar with the DL policies, because it will prevent headaches like this.
Old Feb 17, 12, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by naijaman View Post
No such policy, even if you are a DM or KM, DL wont put you on an oversold flight. You will have to standby, but i doubt there could have been 42 other DMs on that flight.

Your dad should have gone to the departure gate, because "oversold" doesnt always mean the ticketed passengers will board the plane. Also, you have to be physically present at the gate to get activated unto the standby list.

I will advice that your dad starts getting familiar with the DL policies, because it will prevent headaches like this.
Certainly not a published policy—but I've definitely been told that is DL policy to overbook onto a decently loaded flight for a DM who wouldn't get out that day otherwise.
Old Feb 17, 12, 4:25 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
As have I..and benefited from this unpublished policy. But, I never mess with the gates or lines and always call the DM-Line. Always get what I need.
Old Feb 17, 12, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tvnwz View Post
As have I..and benefited from this unpublished policy. But, I never mess with the gates or lines and always call the DM-Line. Always get what I need.
IAWTC

I've only been in the weeds a couple of times (both before I achieved status, BTW), and both times I made a call from my seat at the gate to get assistance. It sure beats standing in a 20-deep line waiting to talk to the GA!
Old Feb 17, 12, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
My PM card gives the same number as my Silver and Gold card. Does the Diamond card have a super secret number?
Old Feb 17, 12, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
It's the same phone number but it routes you to a different "desk" depending upon what SkyMiles number you type in.

For the record, I am Diamond and don't remember getting booked on an oversold flight, but I have been able to get added to the standby lists. Once I was about 40th on the standby list and I still got on the flight so the advice to go to the gate or call to get on the list is great advice. ^
Old Feb 17, 12, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

^I guess this is the moral of the story - always call the DM line.
Old Feb 17, 12, 6:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by naijaman View Post
You speak with such certainty. Too bad you are incorrect.
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
No way is that correct for him being #42 on the standby list. Sounds like the agent at the desk in ATL didn't know what they were doing or screwed it up and didn't have the DM status and disrupted travel giving standby priority.

And yes, I've been in a similar situation where I had an MX that would cause me to miss a connection and have to stay over in ATL... DM phone agent said the alternates were full but they would oversell and confirm a seat for a DM. In fact in this case the next flight was at a gate next to where I was standing and they were already looking for volunteers when the DM line confirmed me on the flight.
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
No way is that correct for him being #42 on the standby list. Sounds like the agent at the desk in ATL didn't know what they were doing or screwed it up and didn't have the DM status and disrupted travel giving standby priority.

And yes, I've been in a similar situation where I had an MX that would cause me to miss a connection and have to stay over in ATL... DM phone agent said the alternates were full but they would oversell and confirm a seat for a DM. In fact in this case the next flight was at a gate next to where I was standing and they were already looking for volunteers when the DM line confirmed me on the flight.
Yes after my father asked the agent at the travel rebook desk how he could be #43 on the standby list, the agent responded that the list is ordered by time of request and not status. I simply could not believe this...
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
maybe next time have your dad wait at the gate. alls well that ends well.
Old Feb 17, 12, 9:32 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Where was the SkyClub in relation to the rebook desk? That should have been his stop.
Old Feb 17, 12, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmorbust View Post
Yes after my father asked the agent at the travel rebook desk how he could be #43 on the standby list, the agent responded that the list is ordered by time of request and not status. I simply could not believe this...
And you shouldn't.

When I go through ATL and looking for a different flt, the SC lets me fly as standby while locking in a SDC seat on a later flt. I have yet to be less than #1 on the standby list.

Now sometimes the flt boards full and no standby's actually make it on the flt but there is no reason at all a DM should ever be #43 on the list. Just hindstuff here.... tell your father to work with the SC agents, not a GA. They have more time and will give more personal attention.
Old Feb 18, 12, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
+1, phone is always less painful than the angry line of pax.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: