Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Light Show Can Be Disabled at Detroit (DTW) Tunnel

Old Feb 17, 12, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing

For some reason when walking though the A to C underground tunnel at DTW, the light show always makes me slightly nauseous. (Never have the problem at ORD).

Apparently I'm not the only one. Yesterday I discovered that there is button at both ends of the tunnel that allows anyone to turn the light show off.
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:25 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
As long as you turn it back on when you reach the other side , I am cool with that
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
For some reason when walking though the A to C underground tunnel at DTW, the light show always makes me slightly nauseous. (Never have the problem at ORD).

Apparently I'm not the only one. Yesterday I discovered that there is button at both ends of the tunnel that allows anyone to turn the light show off.
Thanks for posting -- I now know why it's been off so many times recently -- always thought it was wear and tear and find it far from soothing.

Bob H
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
the light show always makes me slightly nauseous
You're sure it wasn't the fake cheese?
Old Feb 17, 12, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
There is a medical condition called photosensitive epilepsy – people with the dx experience seizures triggered by visual stimuli. Would imagine the switch was installed for that reason.
Old Feb 17, 12, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Makes sense, so if it is turned off is the tunnel dark, like the entrance to the carnival funhouse or do overhead lights come on or does it just stabilize with whatever color was on when you hit the button?
Old Feb 17, 12, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carybrevard View Post
There is a medical condition called photosensitive epilepsy people with the dx experience seizures triggered by visual stimuli. Would imagine the switch was installed for that reason.
Wasn't there some Japanese anime on television that triggered that condition in some viewers?
Old Feb 17, 12, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
Makes sense, so if it is turned off is the tunnel dark, like the entrance to the carnival funhouse or do overhead lights come on or does it just stabilize with whatever color was on when you hit the button?
I don't remember exactly what happens, but when the lightshow is off, the lighting is neither dark nor bright. It's light enough to use the moving walkways and escalators safely, but not so light that you would imagine the lights bothering one's eyes when someone turns off the lightshow. I hope this helps.
Old Feb 17, 12, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I don't remember exactly what happens, but when the lightshow is off, the lighting is neither dark nor bright. It's light enough to use the moving walkways and escalators safely, but not so light that you would imagine the lights bothering one's eyes when someone turns off the lightshow. I hope this helps.
Two things happen when the light show has been stopped --- namely no "music", and no color changes/ flashing lights. The lighting just remains constant and it feels like it takes longer to get through the tunnel.

My eeriest experience down there tunnel came late at night after I'd flown the last leg for the day and was just riding the moving sidewalk in from puddle jumper land and dozens of people came running by because their connections were tighter than they wanted them to be.

Bob H
Old Feb 17, 12, 12:18 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Wasn't there some Japanese anime on television that triggered that condition in some viewers?
I was at the movies once (maybe V for Vendetta) and the lady in front of me had a seizure because of what was on the screen.

I think the on/off switch is a good idea!
Old Feb 17, 12, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
Lets be clear, it is NOT an "on/off" switch...

It is a "pause" button. There is one located at each end of the tunnel and if you press it the light and sound show pauses for a few minute (I believe it is 10 minutes).

I am pretty sure the lights just freeze at whatever setting/color they were when the button is pressed.
Old Feb 17, 12, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Burj View Post

It is a "pause" button. There is one located at each end of the tunnel and if you press it the light and sound show pauses for a few minute (I believe it is 10 minutes).

I am pretty sure the lights just freeze at whatever setting/color they were when the button is pressed.
Thanks for the info - if off, and if not pressed for time, I will wait until it turns back on.

That DTW light/sound show is a highlight of worldwide journeys for me.

Sorry it is a negative for a few, and respect that a few need to turn it off.

For me it is mystical, reassuring, and a hint of a final journey far down the road....
Old Feb 17, 12, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by carybrevard View Post
There is a medical condition called photosensitive epilepsy – people with the dx experience seizures triggered by visual stimuli. Would imagine the switch was installed for that reason.
Wow, what a simple noncontroversial solution. Now if only we could address peanut allergies onboard the plane without creating such a $h!tstorm from the peanut entitled.

Note: I have no allergy but am amused at the number of threads I see on FT regarding how cheated some feel because there was a peanut moratorium on their flight.

Last edited by plagwate; Feb 17, 12 at 6:00 pm
Old Feb 17, 12, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by DVMonthego View Post
Thanks for the info - if off, and if not pressed for time, I will wait until it turns back on.

That DTW light/sound show is a highlight of worldwide journeys for me.

Sorry it is a negative for a few, and respect that a few need to turn it off.

For me it is mystical, reassuring, and a hint of a final journey far down the road....
No light show at DTW is like going to Disney and not riding Space Mountain...
Old Feb 17, 12, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by Burj View Post

Good the light & sound show continues. I so love walking back and forth between the terminals in DTW!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: