FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Light Show Can Be Disabled at Detroit (DTW) Tunnel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1315217-light-show-can-disabled-detroit-dtw-tunnel.html)

5khours Feb 17, 2012 7:16 am

Light Show Can Be Disabled at Detroit (DTW) Tunnel

For some reason when walking though the A to C underground tunnel at DTW, the light show always makes me slightly nauseous. (Never have the problem at ORD).

Apparently I'm not the only one. Yesterday I discovered that there is button at both ends of the tunnel that allows anyone to turn the light show off.

Crazyhotelguy Feb 17, 2012 7:25 am

As long as you turn it back on when you reach the other side , I am cool with that:)

BobH Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 18033001)
For some reason when walking though the A to C underground tunnel at DTW, the light show always makes me slightly nauseous. (Never have the problem at ORD).

Apparently I'm not the only one. Yesterday I discovered that there is button at both ends of the tunnel that allows anyone to turn the light show off.

Thanks for posting -- I now know why it's been off so many times recently -- always thought it was wear and tear and find it far from soothing.

Bob H

davisew Feb 17, 2012 7:45 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 18033001)
the light show always makes me slightly nauseous

You're sure it wasn't the fake cheese?

carybrevard Feb 17, 2012 8:58 am

There is a medical condition called photosensitive epilepsy – people with the dx experience seizures triggered by visual stimuli. Would imagine the switch was installed for that reason.

mot29 Feb 17, 2012 9:40 am

Makes sense, so if it is turned off is the tunnel dark, like the entrance to the carnival funhouse or do overhead lights come on or does it just stabilize with whatever color was on when you hit the button?

FWAAA Feb 17, 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by carybrevard (Post 18033627)
There is a medical condition called photosensitive epilepsy – people with the dx experience seizures triggered by visual stimuli. Would imagine the switch was installed for that reason.

Wasn't there some Japanese anime on television that triggered that condition in some viewers?

MSPeconomist Feb 17, 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 18033896)
Makes sense, so if it is turned off is the tunnel dark, like the entrance to the carnival funhouse or do overhead lights come on or does it just stabilize with whatever color was on when you hit the button?

I don't remember exactly what happens, but when the lightshow is off, the lighting is neither dark nor bright. It's light enough to use the moving walkways and escalators safely, but not so light that you would imagine the lights bothering one's eyes when someone turns off the lightshow. I hope this helps.

BobH Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18034460)
I don't remember exactly what happens, but when the lightshow is off, the lighting is neither dark nor bright. It's light enough to use the moving walkways and escalators safely, but not so light that you would imagine the lights bothering one's eyes when someone turns off the lightshow. I hope this helps.

Two things happen when the light show has been stopped --- namely no "music", and no color changes/ flashing lights. The lighting just remains constant and it feels like it takes longer to get through the tunnel.

My eeriest experience down there tunnel came late at night after I'd flown the last leg for the day and was just riding the moving sidewalk in from puddle jumper land and dozens of people came running by because their connections were tighter than they wanted them to be.

Bob H

TTT Feb 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 18034223)
Wasn't there some Japanese anime on television that triggered that condition in some viewers?

I was at the movies once (maybe V for Vendetta) and the lady in front of me had a seizure because of what was on the screen.

I think the on/off switch is a good idea!

Burj Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Lets be clear, it is NOT an "on/off" switch...

It is a "pause" button. There is one located at each end of the tunnel and if you press it the light and sound show pauses for a few minute (I believe it is 10 minutes).

I am pretty sure the lights just freeze at whatever setting/color they were when the button is pressed.

DVMonthego Feb 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 18036749)

It is a "pause" button. There is one located at each end of the tunnel and if you press it the light and sound show pauses for a few minute (I believe it is 10 minutes).

I am pretty sure the lights just freeze at whatever setting/color they were when the button is pressed.

Thanks for the info - if off, and if not pressed for time, I will wait until it turns back on.

That DTW light/sound show is a highlight of worldwide journeys for me.

Sorry it is a negative for a few, and respect that a few need to turn it off.

For me it is mystical, reassuring, and a hint of a final journey far down the road....

plagwate Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by carybrevard (Post 18033627)

Wow, what a simple noncontroversial solution. Now if only we could address peanut allergies onboard the plane without creating such a $h!tstorm from the peanut entitled. :)

Note: I have no allergy but am amused at the number of threads I see on FT regarding how cheated some feel because there was a peanut moratorium on their flight.

Crazyhotelguy Feb 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by DVMonthego (Post 18036850)
Thanks for the info - if off, and if not pressed for time, I will wait until it turns back on.

That DTW light/sound show is a highlight of worldwide journeys for me.

Sorry it is a negative for a few, and respect that a few need to turn it off.

For me it is mystical, reassuring, and a hint of a final journey far down the road....

No light show at DTW is like going to Disney and not riding Space Mountain...

view-with-a-room Feb 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 18036749)

Good the light & sound show continues. I so love walking back and forth between the terminals in DTW!