Wiki Posts
Search

What's your waiting strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
What's your waiting strategy?

I'm waiting in the LAX skyclub for LAX-JFK. I'm 7th on the list and 7 seats in BE open.

I clearly need a Xanax, but I'm wondering what the flyertalk people do to ease their upgrade-waitlist anxiety.

Guess this vodka will have to do for when I get bumped to 8th. Sigh.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL - DM, HH - Diamond
Pouring myself doubles in the LAX SC. If I end up in the back I'll be asleep by take off... if lucky enough to make it up front I will ride a really nice buzz for a few hours before the sandman takes over.

Only so much we can do when it comes to upgrades... my 2012 resolution is to try to be more thankful when they come through, vs. angry when they don't.

I stick with Delta because 9 times out of 10 I get to fly like I paid for a fare that my company wouldn't even consider.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR (Gold for Life), AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Platinun
I always hit the booze, but not in the SFO SkyClub, its pre security and just generally poor.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM
On a flight like this, my basic strategy is to first check my bag so I don't have to worry about boarding early enough to grab an overhead bin spot. After that, if I'm 7 of 7 like you are, I'd hold out until all hope is lost. Sometimes asking the GA if all of FC has boarded works, but other times a GA will say "yes" just to get you on board instead of hanging around and potentially causing them headaches.

But the official policy is you-board-you-lose when it comes to UGs, so if it matters I wait until final boarding.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I'm waiting in the LAX skyclub for LAX-JFK. I'm 7th on the list and 7 seats in BE open.

I clearly need a Xanax, but I'm wondering what the flyertalk people do to ease their upgrade-waitlist anxiety.
Simple. Fly a bit more and become a Diamond, then you won't be #7 anymore. Best part: Since the extra flying will reduce your anxiety, it might be covered by your health insurance.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:18 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Simple. Fly a bit more and become a Diamond, then you won't be #7 anymore.
LOL. Having read multiple threads about DM's not getting UG'd, that might just increase the anxiety: "I flew that much last year to become DM and I *still* don't get UG'd as much as I thought I would!"
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
whiskey. lots and lots of whiskey.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT DM
waiting process

1. assure Xanax prescription handy in briefcase in the event the upgrade does not come through - it's WILL be OK

2. visually assess place on upgrade list and BACK AWAY from the gate

3. assure food and beverage for sustenance is in hand, (unless preference is to have FlightDelights and pricey booze and get some bonus miles on the SkyMiles Amex.)

4. mobile device in hand - Delta ap open, incessantly refresh the upgrade list to see if place changes, its faster than GIDS (sometimes, when it's working )

3a if place on upg list moves DOWN at ALL go ahead and anti anxi-acate with beverage in hand. Enjoy the nap, but please remember not to drool on fellow PAX

3b if place on upg list remains unchanged, and is LOW with few seats avail, and still experiencing high upgrade-unknown-anxiety, revert to 3a

3c if place on upg list is HIGH or moves up- keep alternating the eyes between the GIDS and the Delta ap upgrade screen (refresh, refresh) and wait to board! there's hope
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by fti
LOL. Having read multiple threads about DM's not getting UG'd, that might just increase the anxiety: "I flew that much last year to become DM and I *still* don't get UG'd as much as I thought I would!"
Yeah, that'd be me. What's funny is I tend to get UGs on $200 fares and not on $500 fares. I'm sure there's a correlation to paid J, but so it goes.

To the OP's question, I check the UG list at T-3. I then assume I'll drop 1 place and 1 open seat will disappear. That usually gives a good indication of how things will end up. I confirm at T-1 (after which changes are pretty infrequent) to see if (eg) I need to buy food for the plane.

Beyond that, starting from the attitude that upgrades are nice-to-have not need-to-have helps, too.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bennos
I check the UG list at T-3. I then assume I'll drop 1 place and 1 open seat will disappear. That usually gives a good indication of how things will end up. I confirm at T-1 (after which changes are pretty infrequent)
I booked onto a flight at T-2, was still number 1 on the list at T-1 and still watched two people jump ahead of me and take the last two seats after preboarding started. At least one of them was on the cleared list from standby to coach before he got the upgrade. Kind of weird that my first missed PM upgrade was on a B fare, maybe the computer does the fares in the wrong order?

DL coach is noticeably worse than AA coach, getting stuck in a middle seat was almost enough to convince me to cut back on travel... almost enough.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Upgrade Anxiety

I have a different approach. When I head to the airport I just hope for a safe flight in Y. Yes, I am a DM and am always upgraded, but I have low expectations. Those who really need to be in F should purchase an F ticket.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Check in early, hit a SC 2 hours before your flight, then have a drink for every spot you drop on the upgrade list. The lower you go, the more prepared you are to endure your voyage in Y.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by javabytes
Check in early, hit a SC 2 hours before your flight, then have a drink for every spot you drop on the upgrade list. The lower you go, the more prepared you are to endure your voyage in Y.
This might improve your upgrade chances... 10+ drinks in an hour greatly increases your chance of missing the busy reasonably timed flight and ending up on a half empty late night flight when you're finally sober enough to find the right gate and get a GA to SDC you.

This could also contribute to the miserable experiences of others trapped in Y.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
More Drugs & Alcohol?

Which is the better solution to the problem:
a. Take more drugs and/or drink more alcohol
b. Change your LAX-JFK flight to LAX-SLC-MSP-DTW-JFK. Your are bound to get upgraded at least once.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM

SWUs. This is the perfect route to use these on...if you're on a K+ fare. Assuming it's coded correctly, your UG worries as a PM will vanish as you float to the top of the list. Even over those with clanking bag tags.

Then those vodkas can be simply recreational, not medicinal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.