Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Looking at going from Gold Delta Card to Plat Card

Old Feb 12, 12, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I currently have the gold delta card and I am looking at getting the Plat card because of the free companion cert you get every year instead of the $99 one.

My question is if I apply for the Plat card instead of upgrading would I get the full bonus miles? or would I still get the same amount as if I upgraded to the card?

Also can you have 1 delta personal card and 1 delta business card and get the bonus on both?
Old Feb 12, 12, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by dustenm:18001413
I currently have the gold delta card and I am looking at getting the Plat card because of the free companion cert you get every year instead of the $99 one.

My question is if I apply for the Plat card instead of upgrading would I get the full bonus miles? or would I still get the same amount as if I upgraded to the card?

Also can you have 1 delta personal card and 1 delta business card and get the bonus on both?
You'll get the difference in mileage for upping to the plat card, namely 5000 mqm.
Yes you can have a personal and business and you'll get full miles for both
Old Feb 12, 12, 3:25 pm

Do you have to pay the difference in annual fee the first year?
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by mendel k View Post
You'll get the difference in mileage for upping to the plat card, namely 5000 mqm.
Yes you can have a personal and business and you'll get full miles for both
This is not fully addressing the question.

He will get the full bonus if he applies for the Platinum DL Card.

If he upgrades then he will get the excess.

The terms are fairly clear in this respect, and there are numerous threads indicating this is what happens.
Old Feb 13, 12, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm View Post

To further clarify my post above...

You are eligible to receive one bonus for each type of DL card (Gold, Platinum, Reserve) in both personal and business.
Old Feb 14, 12, 8:13 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Moved thread to Delta forum because it is the primary area for discussion of Skymiles credit cards.
Old Feb 14, 12, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
And then upgrade to Reserve!
Old Feb 14, 12, 10:12 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
One is better off just applying for the Delta AMEX Reserve card!
Old Feb 14, 12, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dustenm View Post
Does the Plat Card still provide a free companion cert? I don't see it listed as a benefit, and I have not gotten my cert this year (or last year for that matter).
Old Feb 14, 12, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by dollerman73 View Post
Does the Plat Card still provide a free companion cert? I don't see it listed as a benefit, and I have not gotten my cert this year (or last year for that matter).
You should write into the 'Contact us' section at www.delta.com asking the reason for not getting the free companion certificate, last year and this year!

Very unusual!
Old Feb 14, 12, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL PM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dollerman73 View Post
They stopped mailing paper certs a year or two ago. Check at delta.com (while logged in of course). Go to Skymiles > Manage My Account > Manage Profile > Certificates and eCredits. It should appear as "SkyMiles Companion Certificate". If you have multiple cards (Plat & Reserve for instance) the terms are different, but it's tough to tell which is which without clicking through.
Old Feb 14, 12, 3:33 pm

Took the Deal

I just took the deal and upgraded to Platinum from Gold. Got 10k bonus, 5000 EQM and they paid for difference in annual fee. Should put me over the tier threshold.
I'll sit tight on this one until a similar deal comes for the Reserve.
Old Feb 14, 12, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by PetoskeyFlyer View Post
I just took the deal and upgraded to Platinum from Gold. Got 10k bonus, 5000 EQM and they paid for difference in annual fee. Should put me over the tier threshold.
I'll sit tight on this one until a similar deal comes for the Reserve.
Why not just go for the BIZ plat and get 25k RDM and 5k MQM and then once you have that cancel the gold? Next year, go for PLAT personal. Next year see year one!
Old Feb 14, 12, 6:11 pm

AmEx

We've had the AmEx Business Platinum for 9 years primarily for club access, That was back in the NWA days. Now that Delta serves our airport, we're Delta AmEx holders, too. Like I said, if they up the ante, we'll drop Business Platinum and get the Delta Reserve.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: