FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Looking at going from Gold Delta Card to Plat Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1313357-looking-going-gold-delta-card-plat-card.html)

dustenm Feb 12, 12 3:01 pm

Looking at going from Gold Delta Card to Plat Card

I currently have the gold delta card and I am looking at getting the Plat card because of the free companion cert you get every year instead of the $99 one.

My question is if I apply for the Plat card instead of upgrading would I get the full bonus miles? or would I still get the same amount as if I upgraded to the card?

Also can you have 1 delta personal card and 1 delta business card and get the bonus on both?

mendel k Feb 12, 12 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm:18001413
I currently have the gold delta card and I am looking at getting the Plat card because of the free companion cert you get every year instead of the $99 one.

My question is if I apply for the Plat card instead of upgrading would I get the full bonus miles? or would I still get the same amount as if I upgraded to the card?

Also can you have 1 delta personal card and 1 delta business card and get the bonus on both?

You'll get the difference in mileage for upping to the plat card, namely 5000 mqm.
Yes you can have a personal and business and you'll get full miles for both

dshargorodsky Feb 12, 12 3:25 pm

Do you have to pay the difference in annual fee the first year?

JFKLAX321 Feb 13, 12 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by mendel k (Post 18001453)
You'll get the difference in mileage for upping to the plat card, namely 5000 mqm.
Yes you can have a personal and business and you'll get full miles for both

This is not fully addressing the question.

He will get the full bonus if he applies for the Platinum DL Card.

If he upgrades then he will get the excess.

The terms are fairly clear in this respect, and there are numerous threads indicating this is what happens.

JFKLAX321 Feb 13, 12 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm (Post 18001413)

To further clarify my post above...

You are eligible to receive one bonus for each type of DL card (Gold, Platinum, Reserve) in both personal and business.

mia Feb 14, 12 8:13 am

Moderator action

Moved thread to Delta forum because it is the primary area for discussion of Skymiles credit cards.

view-with-a-room Feb 14, 12 9:54 am

And then upgrade to Reserve!

dd1612 Feb 14, 12 10:12 am

One is better off just applying for the Delta AMEX Reserve card!

dollerman73 Feb 14, 12 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by dustenm (Post 18001413)

Does the Plat Card still provide a free companion cert? I don't see it listed as a benefit, and I have not gotten my cert this year (or last year for that matter).

dd1612 Feb 14, 12 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by dollerman73 (Post 18013967)
Does the Plat Card still provide a free companion cert? I don't see it listed as a benefit, and I have not gotten my cert this year (or last year for that matter).

You should write into the 'Contact us' section at www.delta.com asking the reason for not getting the free companion certificate, last year and this year!

Very unusual!

DeltaFan4Now Feb 14, 12 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by dollerman73 (Post 18013967)

They stopped mailing paper certs a year or two ago. Check at delta.com (while logged in of course). Go to Skymiles > Manage My Account > Manage Profile > Certificates and eCredits. It should appear as "SkyMiles Companion Certificate". If you have multiple cards (Plat & Reserve for instance) the terms are different, but it's tough to tell which is which without clicking through.

PetoskeyFlyer Feb 14, 12 3:33 pm

Took the Deal

I just took the deal and upgraded to Platinum from Gold. Got 10k bonus, 5000 EQM and they paid for difference in annual fee. Should put me over the tier threshold.
I'll sit tight on this one until a similar deal comes for the Reserve.

Renes Points Feb 14, 12 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by PetoskeyFlyer (Post 18015279)
I just took the deal and upgraded to Platinum from Gold. Got 10k bonus, 5000 EQM and they paid for difference in annual fee. Should put me over the tier threshold.
I'll sit tight on this one until a similar deal comes for the Reserve.

Why not just go for the BIZ plat and get 25k RDM and 5k MQM and then once you have that cancel the gold? Next year, go for PLAT personal. Next year see year one!:D

PetoskeyFlyer Feb 14, 12 6:11 pm

AmEx

We've had the AmEx Business Platinum for 9 years primarily for club access, That was back in the NWA days. Now that Delta serves our airport, we're Delta AmEx holders, too. Like I said, if they up the ante, we'll drop Business Platinum and get the Delta Reserve.