Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help with Southern California Airports & Traffic

Help with Southern California Airports & Traffic

Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slidergirl
Usually I try to avoid driving with rush hour traffic 7-10am and 3-7pm. There is that large population of folks living in South Orange County that will be commuting during those times. If you do fly in/out of SNA, there are plenty of decent hotels right by the airport for you to choose from.
If I choose SNA what would be your choice for a nice hotel with a good price.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Construction is also rolling full steam at SAN T2 (Delta) so if roughly in between distance I'd stay away from paying a premium for SAN.

And yes, security line is horrendous for non Sky Priority FF's.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by WendyJD
The timeshare is right in Oceanside, it is Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort. My only concern on taking the Coaster, I did consider it, was then we have no car to travel and get groceries and go out to eat go sight seeing etc.
Coaster is pretty much not an option, IMHO. Other transportation is pretty much not existent here, so car rental is pretty much a must.

As for the hotels near SNA, that area has so many good choices (and probably not very many bad ones). All depends on your budget and preferences -- everything from Hyatt, Marriott, small boutique hotels to small motel-like establishments, on the water, in town, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by mkt80
There is another reason to avoid SAN that nobody has mentioned: the security lines can be very horrible. The least amount of time I have spent on the security line is 45min. In fact, there has never been a time where the security agents didn't call my flight and let me pass to the front of the line (along with another 50 people). Although you might not miss your flight, it's not only tiring it's also extremely stressful.

So IMO that alone is a good enough reason to not use SAN - or at least depart from it. Also the price difference obviously

That's funny because the 3 times i've been there in the last two years I don't even remember a line.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
If I choose SNA what would be your choice for a nice hotel with a good price.
The Fairmont Newport Beach is right across the street from the airport. I've stayed their dozens of times. It is quiet, nice little pool area and lots of dining options nearby.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
One option with the SNA hotel is to find one that has its own rental car counter. We did this at SJC last summer. We got free shuttle between airport and hotel plus much lower car rates.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
SNA is a fine airport, easy in/out and lately some good fares.
IAWTC

I always fly into SNA... and will only fly out of another airport in the basin IF and only IF it makes sense for my itinerary.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Thank you for all the hints and information. I have booked thru SNA. I went on and they still had the $279.70 for outgoing but my return flight I wanted had gone up to the $525, looked 1/2 hour later and it had returned to the $279.70 so decided I better not wait any longer. Delta is changing prices too fast on me. Before I know it I'll end up paying the $525 at either SAN or SNA so I booked and will fly from MKE to SNA for $279.70. I am happy and now will look for hotel and car deals. Thank you for all the input. I appreciate it and look forward to our California trip. Thank you. Wendy
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Thank you for all the hints and information. I have booked thru SNA. I went on and they still had the $279.70 for outgoing but my return flight I wanted had gone up to the $525, looked 1/2 hour later and it had returned to the $279.70 so decided I better not wait any longer. Delta is changing prices too fast on me. Before I know it I'll end up paying the $525 at either SAN or SNA so I booked and will fly from MKE to SNA for $279.70. I am happy and now will look for hotel and car deals. Thank you for all the input. I appreciate it and look forward to our California trip. Thank you. Wendy
Have a great trip! Be sure to spend some time in Dana Point and Laguna Beach. They are the gems of the Southern California coast, IMHO.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:09 pm

You made a good choice! I am quite familiar with the area. Another option for you would be to find a hotel around SNA that will shuttle you over to the Santa Ana or Irvine Metrolink/Amtrak station (for example, I think the Doubletree Irvine Spectrum will take you to/from SNA and the Irvine train station). From there you can take Amtrak on Sunday morning down to the Oceanside station which isn't far from the hotel you are staying at. If you need a car during your stay, there are some car rental places around Oceanside to rent from.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I travel to Carlsbad regularly. While I like SAN best, SNA is a good airport. Take the 73 toll road from the airport instead of the 405. It's a bit pricy at around $5 or so, but the traffic is very light and the views are spectacular!

FWIW, I usually get to California late morning and even flying into LAX rarely encounter traffic heading toward Carlsbad.

Heading north to the airport when you leave, be prepared for traffic on the 5. There's an obnoxious border control checkpoint just north of Oceanside that usually slows things down.

Do you like craft beer? I can recommend a few places to go if you do
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
One option with the SNA hotel is to find one that has its own rental car counter. We did this at SJC last summer. We got free shuttle between airport and hotel plus much lower car rates.
The Fairmont I mentioned above has a Hertz inside the hotel.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Good Choice

I just did this flight/drive a couple weeks ago. SNA is easy to get to (weird approach though!) and car rentals right on site. Drive to Oceanside isn't bad at all.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by mkt80
There is another reason to avoid SAN that nobody has mentioned: the security lines can be very horrible. The least amount of time I have spent on the security line is 45min.
I agree. SAN has one of the slowest security lines that I have ever come across. Gives you plenty of line to read the huge sign over the TSA area about no jokes! Wonder what idiot came up with that idea!
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by realjd

Heading north to the airport when you leave, be prepared for traffic on the 5. There's an obnoxious border control checkpoint just north of Oceanside that usually slows things down.

Do you like craft beer? I can recommend a few places to go if you do
When we leave on Friday and head north to SNA will the checkpoint slow us down? What time would be good to head back towards SNA? We have to check out at 10am but are on no other time schedule.

For the beer do you mean that they make their own, sorry? If that's what you mean, yes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.