FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL: Rev up but still cutting jobs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1310212-dl-rev-up-but-still-cutting-jobs.html)

Sez_Who Feb 3, 2012 2:03 pm

DL: Rev up but still cutting jobs?

Looks like DL is not done with the ax. Despite increased revenues, tighter capacity, and higher airfares, they are still look at cost cutting from downsizing through employees. One depressing comment from Ed Bastian....

"With fuel prices expected to stay high, Bastian said the company was squarely focused on cutting non-fuel costs and garnering more passenger revenue from new sources such as first-class upgrades."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8111QG20120202

motytrah Feb 3, 2012 3:23 pm

We're going to be looking at other ways to reduce headcount and we are considering and I'd expect we'll probably be announcing soon another early retirement opportunity for our employees
Sounds like they are going to sweeten the pot for some of the employees. I think the PMNW folks ended up with a lot better retirement benefits, so they may be a prime candidate for early exit.

TTT Feb 3, 2012 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 17947068)
Looks like DL is not done with the ax. Despite increased revenues, tighter capacity, and higher airfares, they are still look at cost cutting from downsizing through employees. One depressing comment from Ed Bastian....

I think the part I bolded is key. Fewer seats = fewer employees.

As long as they offer early retirement vs RIFs this is a win-win way to reduce headcount.

javabytes Feb 3, 2012 4:14 pm

...Bastian said the company was squarely focused on... garnering more passenger revenue from new sources..."[/I]

It's ham sandwich time

DLdweeb Feb 3, 2012 6:14 pm

garnering more passenger revenue from new sources such as first-class upgrades.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.....

RatherBeOnATrain Feb 6, 2012 5:34 am

A quote from the article:

With fuel prices expected to stay high, Bastian said the company was squarely focused on cutting non-fuel costs and garnering more passenger revenue from new sources such as first-class upgrades [emphasis added].

So.... how did purchasing MQMs work out for everyone?

DLdweeb Feb 6, 2012 5:43 am

garnering more passenger revenue from new sources such as first-class upgrades

Knowing DL they will make this change retroactive to 1-1-12 and charge everyone who got a complimentary upgrade since the first of the year.

sxf24 Feb 6, 2012 6:26 am

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 17947738)
I think the part I bolded is key. Fewer seats = fewer employees.

As long as they offer early retirement vs RIFs this is a win-win way to reduce headcount.

DL has repeatedly stated they are committed to no involuntary RIFs. Early retirements and buyouts will be used as part of the effort to keep costs flat.

goaliemn Feb 6, 2012 8:22 am

Originally Posted by sxf24 (Post 17960628)
DL has repeatedly stated they are committed to no involuntary RIFs. Early retirements and buyouts will be used as part of the effort to keep costs flat.

They have done some involuntary RIFs for non-front line employees. I know some PMNW people that are hoping they do early retirements, so maybe no involuntaries this time

apwessen Feb 6, 2012 9:02 am

"With fuel prices expected to stay high, Bastian said the company was squarely focused on cutting non-fuel costs and garnering more passenger revenue from new sources such as first-class upgrades."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8111QG20120202

Shouldn't be surprising. All corporate revenues are at an all-time high and yet jobs aren't being added. The duty of a corporation is to make as much money as possible for as long as possible.

ElPresidente Feb 6, 2012 9:14 am

Corporations, viewed as a person, are what we used to call sociopaths. Like an intelligent liar, they may give LIP SERVICE to caring about the customers or employees, all they really care about is executive bonus & options. These sorts are always very good at the WORDS and empty gestures but it is always secondary to waiting for the right opportunity to go through your pockets when they find you asleep. A sociopath can be a contributing member of society but it baffles me why we elevate them to godhood and seem to regard them as examples of morality.

FLgrr Feb 6, 2012 1:07 pm

With revenue up, someone in management needs to get a bonus. But how do you pay for the bonus without impacting the bottom line? CUT STUFF!!!!!

dgxoxo Feb 6, 2012 1:22 pm

What a novel concept: a corporation trying to maximize shareholder value.

motytrah Feb 6, 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by dgxoxo (Post 17963236)
What a novel concept: a corporation trying to maximize shareholder value.

There's always room for debate on if decisions are good for the short term shareholder or the long term share holder.

SamuelS Feb 6, 2012 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 17963324)
There's always room for debate on if decisions are good for the short term shareholder or the long term share holder.

Precisely. Maximising revenue 1 year (e.g. if upgrades for elites were to go down significantly due to given preference to aggressively selling paid upgrades) might indeed show a short term revenue uptick and is very easy to gauge. Having disenfranchised elites move their business, or just book lowest carrier and skip over paying a higher fare to stay loyal DL - the financial impact there is harder to gauge.