Community
Wiki Posts
Search

strange thing happened yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: FF account on all airlines, DM. All hotel accounts, Hilton Diamond.
strange thing happened yesterday...

I am a DYKWIA status so I am upgraded almost every single time I fly... maybe I'm just lucky. Yesterday while on SFO-DTW, I was seated in coach because my girlfriend (whom I gifted Gold status too) did not get upgraded. So I gave up my seat in F, to sit with her in the back.

When they came around with drinks for the first time, I asked for a coke and a few bags of peanuts. The FA said I could not have any peanuts because there was someone within 3 rows of me who was allergic to peanuts. So anyone within 3 rows in front or behind this person was disallowed peanuts. I was incredulous. I have flown about 2 million miles in my life and I had NEVER heard of this. Have I been living in a dreamworld or is this common?

Why wouldn't they move that person to the BACK row so it would effect less people? I am still in disbelief about it.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Hillhouse
I am a DYKWIA status so I am upgraded almost every single time I fly... maybe I'm just lucky. Yesterday while on SFO-DTW, I was seated in coach because my girlfriend (whom I gifted Gold status too) did not get upgraded. So I gave up my seat in F, to sit with her in the back.

When they came around with drinks for the first time, I asked for a coke and a few bags of peanuts. The FA said I could not have any peanuts because there was someone within 3 rows of me who was allergic to peanuts. So anyone within 3 rows in front or behind this person was disallowed peanuts. I was incredulous. I have flown about 2 million miles in my life and I had NEVER heard of this. Have I been living in a dreamworld or is this common?

Why wouldn't they move that person to the BACK row so it would effect less people? I am still in disbelief about it.
Ridiculous. They should have given you your own AC. So much for being a DYKWIA DM for you. Not only do you sit in coach you can't even get a snack. Outrageous.

BTW, if you are NOT kidding about the peanut allergy thing it is indeed a rule. Peanut dust can travel and people who are allergic can get very sick and even die if they react badly. Not that their lives should come into play...we are talking DIAMOND here.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
They made an announcement on my flight from jfk-fll once that they wouldn't be serving peanuts at all because someone was allergic
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Been there, done that, that's the rule.

We had a post a few months back about somebody going ballistic since they served peanuts within 6 rows of the allergic person, let alone with 3 row, IIRC.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mendel k
They made an announcement on my flight from jfk-fll once that they wouldn't be serving peanuts at all because someone was allergic
I've had both happen, most recently the few rows in front and behind and last year no one could have any peanuts.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
I understand why DL would do this, but it leads to an interesting question. What if I bring my own peanuts (which I sometimes do) and it turns out there is someone on board with a peanut allergy? Are they confiscated? And most importantly, what kind of compensation do I get?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I guess you just tuck a bag of peanuts into your Bose headphone case, and the next time this happens, pull them out and enjoy them anyway?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by silverthief2
I understand why DL would do this, but it leads to an interesting question. What if I bring my own peanuts (which I sometimes do) and it turns out there is someone on board with a peanut allergy? Are they confiscated? And most importantly, what kind of compensation do I get?
You will just be named as the co-defendant on the civil suit. THAT is why the rule exists...it is all about liability.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Hillhouse
So anyone within 3 rows in front or behind this person was disallowed peanuts. I was incredulous. I am still in disbelief about it.
Goodness, how did you find the strength to carry on?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Peanuts To Go

Originally Posted by mendel k
+1

The FA added that anyone who wanted peanuts could get them to go during off-boarding.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
I'm going to claim to be allergic on every flight, and then eat my own peanut butter and jelly sandwich...and smile sadistically.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
This must have been very hard on you. Perhaps next time, if you really enjoy the peanuts that much, you could step outside and enjoy them there.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I know peanuts are part of the flying experience, but this begs the question, why do airlines offer a snack that is so potentially dangerous to someone? Maybe stick with pretzels and cookies? It always seems like people with peanut allergies can't even look at them without dying, so why even create the situation.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I was on an NW flight a while back from LGW to DTW, and as we were boarding, were told of a passenger who was extremely allergic to nuts and that if anyone had nuts in their carry-on bag, to inform the FAs and their bag would be checked. I was in Y and I'm sure those in WBC weren't served warm nuts before their meal (that's one of my favorite parts of the meal!).
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Boltman519
I've had both happen, most recently the few rows in front and behind and last year no one could have any peanuts.
In a closed metal tube that recycles air...who thought up the three rows thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.