Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Upgrades to HI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Standby Upgrades to HI

According to

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...nges/index.jsp

while domestic paid standby upgrades require K+ fares (as I think is common knowledge around these parts), LUT fares are also eligible for HI. Is this new?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
it does appear new, and I think it makes sense... They'd rather take the cash to upgrade any fare (lax/slc-hnl will be in the $225 range) and only op-up Medallions if needed... Which from others' accounts is a rare encounter.

i wonder if this is a foreshadow of west coast-hnl complimentary upgrade benefit?

I do not believe they would take cash upgrade on ATL-HNL, due to BE equipment... though I may be wrong here
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I don't think I would pay $225 for LAX/SFO/SEA to HI in a domestic F seat. I would definitely consider it on a BE equipped 757 on the HI to mainland flight though.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is not new at all, it has been std. practice for a while
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
This is not new at all, it has been std. practice for a while
The inclusion of Hawaii?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure exactly how new this is, but it certainly wasn't the case a year ago.

Also, just to note, there has been no change to the Medallion upgrade policy for flights to/from Hawaii on DL.com.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
it does appear new, and I think it makes sense... They'd rather take the cash to upgrade any fare (lax/slc-hnl will be in the $225 range) and only op-up Medallions if needed... Which from others' accounts is a rare encounter.

i wonder if this is a foreshadow of west coast-hnl complimentary upgrade benefit?

I do not believe they would take cash upgrade on ATL-HNL, due to BE equipment... though I may be wrong here
You would be wrong here. The SBUP program is valid on the ATL-HNL route. It is usually full up front and has DMs and PMs on the waitlist with SWUs but it is possible to score a paid upgrade from T class to F on the flight even though it has BE metal. Same for SFO-HNL which sees a BE equipped 752 frequently. The metal doesn't matter, the market is all that matters. Ask next time you fly ATL-HNL for a SBUP, they are prioritized first come first serve so important to do it right away since Medallion rank does not matter. ATL-HNL is a $350 UG though so pretty pricey and no extra MQMs. You can often times find P fares that include this flight for ~$1800-2200 so even if you buy a $1000-1200 fare you would pay $700 RT extra to do the SBUPs. Makes more sense to just buy a paid F ticket, get your selection of seats and earn the extra miles and MQMs.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
You can often times find P fares that include this flight for ~$1800-2200 so even if you buy a $1000-1200 fare you would pay $700 RT extra to do the SBUPs. Makes more sense to just buy a paid F ticket, get your selection of seats and earn the extra miles and MQMs.
Good to know for the ATL-HNL - it might be a decent way to get to HNL in comfort.

But, you're absolutely right, at these price points, might as well buy up to P and get the miles, perks, (and protections*) of a forward cabin

* pending Y/H/etc-up debate for IROPs
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
Good to know for the ATL-HNL - it might be a decent way to get to HNL in comfort.

But, you're absolutely right, at these price points, might as well buy up to P and get the miles, perks, (and protections*) of a forward cabin

* pending Y/H/etc-up debate for IROPs
I've had great luck with H-UP (aka P and A fares) protection with IROPs. It has been posted by DL sources that on a P or A fare if DL rebooks you into Y you can accept a $200 voucher or be rebooked on a later flight with F availability. I ran into this issue on a recent ATL-MIA flight that was part of a LAX-ATL-MIA routing and opted for the $200 voucher and a bulkhead aisle seat on the short flight they offered F on the next flight ~2 hrs later but I wanted to be home and the voucher was a nice gesture. Had it been the LAX-ATL segment though....whole different story
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by javabytes

Also, just to note, there has been no change to the Medallion upgrade policy for flights to/from Hawaii on DL.com.
paid upgrades at the gate were available last yr from SEA & LAX for sure.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes

I want to say this change occurred around the time of the change to allow companion upgrades on LUT fares for medallions. I know that I have bought up on LUT fares from LAX/SEA to Hawaii 3 times and dating back to November of 2010 from LAX. The Sky Club agents have handled this for me each and everytime.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
The inclusion of Hawaii?
+1. It was K only as of Oct 11.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The inclusion of Hawaii?
do a search. There are many reports of HNL upsells at the gate w/o a K+ fare requirement. Nor sure when this started, but it has been a while (maybe 1 year or so?)
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
do a search. There are many reports of HNL upsells at the gate w/o a K+ fare requirement. Nor sure when this started, but it has been a while (maybe 1 year or so?)
When did L, U, or T come into play?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When did L, U, or T come into play?
again, I'd say at least a year ago, but certainly not recently. If I have time later tonight I'll search for the existing threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.