Search

Changing last name on ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
Changing last name on ticket?

Hi-

I booked a ticket for travel in late March earlier this month on Delta.com for a family member. I booked it using his name (e.g. 'John Chan'). However, I did not realize that his passport had his Chinese name listed as part of his last name (e.g. 'John Chan Tai Man'). It is not a middle name, it's a three-word last name.

Does anyone know if Delta will be able to change the last name on the ticket for me? It is of course the same person travelling, I am not trying to transfer the ticket to somebody else.

It is an HKG-NRT RT on a Business (I) fare for the outbound and Business (S) fare for the return.

I know I should have reconfirmed the name on his passport but, well, I guess I thought I knew more than I actually do

In addition, I created a SkyMiles account for him. Will I be able to make a name correction?

Thank you.

Last edited by yamanote8; Jan 30, 2012 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:49 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
You can call DL, but my guess is you will incur a huge penalty unless the fare basis allows for free changes.

I know *so* many people who go by one name but it is not their legal name (especially first names).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by fti
You can call DL, but my guess is you will incur a huge penalty unless the fare basis allows for free changes.

I know *so* many people who go by one name but it is not their legal name (especially first names).
+1. This is not going to be easy or cheap. It is considered a cancel/rebook. Even a first name can be a pain but a last name is even tougher. Good luck.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Can spouses who changed their last name because they got married change the name on a previously booked ticket at no cost?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:28 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Can spouses who changed their last name because they got married change the name on a previously booked ticket at no cost?
I always recommend that they book the flights in the name that will match their government ID at the time of travel. So if they are going on their honeymoon, best to use the maiden name, which matches their ID.

Many people change names for other reasons too - not just marriage. I would think the airlines don't allow free name changes in most circumstances, but I am sure there are always exceptions.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Oh no

There's a ticket change fee of HKD1540 (~US$200) stated on the ticket, is this the fee that I'd probably have to pay?

I'd call them myself but I am currently overseas and phone calls are $1/min...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I'd presume so, and it would be free, as that's a legal event. I'm going to guess you'd need to include a copy of the marriage certificate and name-change order, yet don't see why it couldn't be done.

Same would apply in the case of a divorce... front-page of divorce decree, and name-change order?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrFlyer
Oh no

There's a ticket change fee of HKD1540 (~US$200) stated on the ticket, is this the fee that I'd probably have to pay?

I'd call them myself but I am currently overseas and phone calls are $1/min...
If you are lucky. Usually it is the change fee + the fare difference (if it has gone up).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
use skype if you have a smartphone or computer with mic. I think you will need to pay the change fee plus the current airfare difference from what you purchased.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
If you are lucky. Usually it is the change fee + the fare difference (if it has gone up).
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
use skype if you have a smartphone or computer with mic. I think you will need to pay the change fee plus the current airfare difference from what you purchased.
Thanks.

That's a US$500 mistake then... last time I buy tickets as a surprise gift

Last edited by yamanote8; Jan 30, 2012 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I don't think it would be hard to find a "John Chan" in HK to "sell" the ticket to.

The change ticket fee is for change in ticket (flight, cabin etc). It is not a fee to name change.

Cancelling the ticket will get you a travel voucher in the name of the ticket holder. Your best is to deal with Delta directly in HK where they are more familiar with this name on travel document issue and hope for a sympathetic agent.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
Cancelling the ticket will get you a travel voucher in the name of the ticket holder..
But less $200 for the change/cancel fee. It has less to do with why the ticket is being changed and more to do with whether a re-issue is required. In this case it is so it will get the worst case scenario as far as change/cancel fees go.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tentseller
I don't think it would be hard to find a "John Chan" in HK to "sell" the ticket to.

The change ticket fee is for change in ticket (flight, cabin etc). It is not a fee to name change.
But tickets are also non-transferable, which is why one runs into so much difficulty in situations like this.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:28 pm

I would try calling up and telling them for some reason their system cut off the last 2 names of his name and you need them to manually fix it so it matches his ID....
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by atlantauser
I would try calling up and telling them for some reason their system cut off the last 2 names of his name and you need them to manually fix it so it matches his ID....
How could they refuse if part of the name is correct? You wouldn't be asking them to CHANGE the name. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.