Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing last name on ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Honk Kong office is probably accustomed to seeing this problem and would understand how it can arise. However, if you were to try to explain the situation to a USA based agent......
I agree. In fact, I think this is common in any market that sees a lot of travels with non Anglo names (distinct first-middle-last names).

I've had a similar issue recently where I misspelled someone's family name from LI to LE, and both US air and Virgin changed it for me (2 days after ticketing). I forget which airline, but one of them asked that the traveler show their passport at check-in to "complete" the change. The other airline just changed it for me while I was on the phone. I booked the tickets using Orbitz.

I think in Hong Kong, they would probably let the OP's guest in without any changes, but its always better to be 100% sure.

I have had my first name and middle name stuck together, first name and middle initial stuck together as one word, truncated name, first/last name flipped. I've never had the check-in agent (for international tickets) or security/TSA question those issues. If the names are similar enough, they'll let you through... YMMV of course.

When you have super-long Greek names, or Spanish names with 5-6 separate words mixed with hyphens, it gets even more fun...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Due to TSA shenanigans I decided to change my tickets to include my full first name, not just an abbreviation. When my wife changed her last name to match mine, Delta also changed her outstanding tickets to match.

In both cases, Delta did this at no charge and with no hassle. Maybe it's because I'm a PM? Dunno.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A few months ago I booked a DL ticket for a family member with a hyphenated last name, but I was in a hurry and accidentally forgot the first half of the last name.

Last week they called DL because of a schedule change that pushed their arrival time too late; they ended up rebooked on earlier flights and they also talked the reservations agent into processing a name correction.

At OLCI I saw that the reservation had the new name, but the e-ticket had been reissued in the old name. We called DL reservations and the agent said "oh, we see the problem! with the name correction they did, they did not reissue the ticket. Let me just reissue the ticket now". Free, easy, fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.