Wiki Posts
Search

Delta $1064 Kayak.com $646

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Delta $1064 Kayak.com $646

For some time now I have checking Delta's "best prices" against Kayak.com.

Today I priced a ski trip from RSW to BZN 2/19-2/24. Delta's prices was $1064 and Kayak was over $400 less. I have booked Delta flights on Kayak a number of times and saved a good amount of money but never this much.

In fairness Kayak.com uses more creative routings using Delta Connection flights and I have generally had travel plans with more legs.

That said, I use the same day confirm privileges to straighten out some of the routings or I just relax and collect the extra miles

Makes me wonder why I just can't get Delta's best price directly from them.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
I think almost anyone looking to do mileage runs have all wished for a "give me the best price regardless of the number of connections" button on the DL web site for a long time.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
If the Kayak fare is actually bookable (I've seen some fares on there lately that were not), try the following:

Go to the Delta.com flight search page.

Click "Multi-city," and select "Search by schedule."

Plug in each of the flights Kayak gives as individual segments to the search:
So, for example, if they're having you fly RSW-ATL-SLC-BZN, you'll type in RSW-ATL as the first segment, ATL-SLC as the second, and SLC-BZN as the third. Do the same for the return.

You'll be able to go through and select each flight individually, and make sure you're selecting the exact flights that Kayak was giving you.

In the end, Delta.com might price it out at the cheaper Kayak price, and you'll be good to go!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
DL.com is fine for finding an ATL<>LAX ticket.

If you want to book anything complicated than HUB<>HUB it does not find the best routes, use some other site to find these.

Once you have the exact ITN, dl.com can book it.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Originally Posted by naples_flyer
That said, I use the same day confirm privileges to straighten out some of the routings or I just relax and collect the extra miles
Bear in mind that if the complex routing is the result of Kayak combining two fares (to continue SamOF's example, e.g. RSW-ATL-SLC r/t for $400 and SLC-BZN r/t for $246), you may be limited in your ability to SDC, as in the experience xolinlevh recently described:

Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Delta's lowest price guarantee is a joke

I had the same experience yesterday - looked at a flight from Germany to MSP on kayak, priced out at $1065, the same flight on delta.com priced at 930 Euro, or about $1200. Curiously enough, Kayak claimed the face was available on delta.com, I ended up booking it on Orbitz.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Not that I'm trying to defend DL, but I just priced out a trip that I'm planning on booking within the next few days ATL-MEL and when I select the SAME flight numbers, I get exactly the same price through Kayak and through DL.com. After reading this thread, I figured that it was worth at least checking Kayak first to see if I could save some money and then go in and modify the reservation the same way I usually would (as mentioned in this thread). This leads me to wonder if the big price discrepancy might be tied to not matching the same stops, times, etc.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Originally Posted by drminn
I had the same experience yesterday - looked at a flight from Germany to MSP on kayak, priced out at $1065, the same flight on delta.com priced at 930 Euro, or about $1200. Curiously enough, Kayak claimed the face was available on delta.com, I ended up booking it on Orbitz.
Remember, Kayak is a search engine, not a booking agent. Sometimes the search results pull up recently expired fares.

A "lower" fare on Kayak won't get you a refund under the low fare guarantee.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Delta.com vs Kayak

I booked those flights on Orbitz, same routing, same flight numbers, same everything. This is not the first time it happened, the price match is a marketing tool to get you to book on delta.com. Good luck getting a match.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:10 pm

I've been seeing some strange fare pricing at delta.com over the last few weeks. Pricing out a trip, then clicking on "dates are flexible" button, only to find a significantly lower price that shows when you click the same date combination. For example: just now I priced ROC-JFK out 2/18, return 2/28. The first price it shows me is $219.60. I then click on "dates are flexible" and it shows me the matrix with a much lower price ($184.60). Same exact itin.

I also saw this when I was pricing out the JFK-JNB or CPT sub $800 fares over the last few weeks. It would initially show a price well over $800, and drop back down when you go through flexible dates. The cynic in me might wonder if it was a ploy to get people to purchase at higher fares, but it is probably some sort of glitch. Anyone else notice this?

Last edited by goldrush3; Jan 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm Reason: can't spell
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drminn
Perhaps you should have read the first sentence in the Best Fare Guarantee rules, it only applies to fares priced in US dollars and does not apply to flights originating from Europe -- "Best Fare Guarantee is valid for electronic tickets purchased in U.S. dollars by a credit card with a United States billing address at delta.com for travel originating in the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Canada."

Also, you have to actually book the ticket on delta.com to qualify.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:47 am

You might wish to try what I have been doing. Use Hipmonk.com to find the lowest fares on Delta, as they will link you into delta.com to book the fare. They are not always the lowest, but they are often enough to make it worth using as a tool.

I have found absolutely valid, better and/or cheaper routing via Hipmonk that delta.com does not show.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by OlderGeek
You might wish to try what I have been doing. Use Hipmonk.com to find the lowest fares on Delta, as they will link you into delta.com to book the fare. They are not always the lowest, but they are often enough to make it worth using as a tool.

I have found absolutely valid, better and/or cheaper routing via Hipmonk that delta.com does not show.
Fyi, it's www.hipmunk.com, if anyone's looking for it.

I love Hipmonk.com, though—it's definitely the best place to get a skinny brown habit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.