Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting with a tour group

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Connecting with a tour group

I am looking for some advice on the best way to book a connecting flight on Delta so I can meet up with an organized tour group who will be flying on SkyTeam partner China Airlines. Should I ask the tour operator to book me the flight to try a get it on the same reservation or can I book it separately and get either Delta or CI to merge them? At a minimum I am hoping they can make a note of it in the reservation in case there is a delay that causes me to miss the connection..

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if the tour departure city is new to you, go a day early and look around.....are you thinking about using an award?.....

price the connecting flights & then ask the tour folks what they can do....if ok price wise, that would probably be best.....

there may be a way to link the pnrs, but i would wouldn't want to miss the tour flights...

where are you joining the tour?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Flying DTW to SFO to connect to the tour.... Not Planning to use an award. Considering purchasing a K fare so I can upgrade with an SWU.

As for timing, I was thinking about flying in earlier in the day and then take a few hours to see the city since the CI flight doesn't leave until 1 am.

On the return I am connecting to the the red eye (SFO-DTW) with about a 3 hour connection time.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by bcarl
Flying DTW to SFO to connect to the tour.... Not Planning to use an award. Considering purchasing a K fare so I can upgrade with an SWU.

As for timing, I was thinking about flying in earlier in the day and then take a few hours to see the city since the CI flight doesn't leave until 1 am.

On the return I am connecting to the the red eye (SFO-DTW) with about a 3 hour connection time.

CI TPE departures to the US should be on time most of the times. You should be fine unless there is a storm in Taiwan. When are you going on the tour? The flight coming back may not be a good idea if you are going in the summer as storms tend to happen and the CI flight might get canceled if that happens.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bcarl

Be careful when you book this. If the flight to Asia leaves at 1am, you must arrive at least the day before.

Since this is separate tickets, I would personally allow much more time in both directions or purchase extremely good trip insurance, not from the tour operator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.