Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change in DL Pricing Pattern to Leisure Destinations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change in DL Pricing Pattern to Leisure Destinations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by vmsea
Where did you find this cheap fare? on expedia type sites?
I believe Allegiant only sells tickets on their website

http://allegiantair.com
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hazelrah
My question is who are these people that can afford these outrageous fares?
Two words: No Kids.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by flargley
I was having a similar conversation with my coworker about this. The fares on DL from msp-fort myers were 900 bucks in coach in late march. I thought it was just a spring break thing. She was determined to go, though. I told her she could fly somewhere nice, like, oh, I dunno, a million different locations in europe or asia for around 900 bucks. She was determined to go to florida; ugh. +1 on the assertion that the economy must be getting better. I would probably gouge these people, too.
The operative question is, does Southwest provide service on the route? Folks in MSP need to reeducate themselves to a one-stop, or not and pay the monopoly non-stop price.

BTW, MDW is not that bad.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by CalVol
Let me help decode:

Stupid iPad...I think it has an ID10T problem
you been drinking that top shelf liquor in the skyclubs?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Two words: No Kids.
Two more:

Mitt Romney
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by houserulz77
A vast majority of my travel is from my home base (PIT) to destinations in FL. Further, I have the advantage of being able to book in advance. Consequently, I have been fortunate to generally secure sLUT fares for most of my trips, over the past few years.

Having honed my skills at this sort of booking pattern, I have found that (barring blackouts and/or special events) around T-60 days, the sLUT buckets begin to open up. Given this experiance, I wondered if others have noticed a change in this general fare trajectory.

I am going to LAS for a conference, the 2nd weekend in March. I need to depart on Tr/F and return Sa/Su. I have been searching this routing for about 6 weeks now, and I am seeing very minimal fluctuation. The outbound has T fares available on Wednesday; but no better than Q on Tr/F. The return shows no better than H on Sat. or Sun.; with most fares being M.

Looking at how wide open the seat maps (which are useful to determine when a flight has sold very few seats) are, and given that we are getting into the six week range; I can't help but assume that the sLUT fares will show up soon. However, after checking some other typical leisure destinations (i.e. MCO), I notice the same pattern.

Is anyone else noticing the delay in the the release of "deeply discounted" fares, over what, in my experience, has been around the 60 day point?
Its never a bad idea to do a search of events that occur at your destination city before travelling. March 1st-4th & 8th-11th are a EXTRA BUSY weekends in Vegas this year. MTV is taking its famous Spring Break show to Vegas and we all know what that means, lotta college students from the east/midwest. Also, NASCAR is that same weekend and a good number of NASCAR fans reside in the PA/WV/OH area.

can you be flexible with your travel dates & airport? PIT-LAS (3/7/11) is $120 OW.
LAS - CAK (3/10) is $157 OW.

Some colleges in the area also have Spring break scheduled thesame week you plan to travel.
3/4 - 3/11 Spring recess for U Pittsburgh
3/7 - 3/11 Carnegie Mellon Spring brk

I am based in PIT as well, and I havent noticed the changes you describe above. Law of supply & demand is at work. I highly doubt the LUT fares will drop due to the big events that weekend. IMO, March is a very busy travel month for passengers going to the west coast.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
you been drinking that top shelf liquor in the skyclubs?
No, just Nyquil, recovering from a bug!

I really DON'T know why it didn't work, though. I went back and tried to edit it twice to no avail. The code just didn't take.

In hindsight, it probably works just as well. We all know he was saying, eat more ham.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
As expected, a good mix of replies. Also, I agree there is another thread that I could have posted this question in. Sorry, I haven't been on FT much recently - Mods' feel free to move as necessary.

Just a couple of points. Given my experience, I would reject the notion that lower fares will not emerge eventually. In looking at these flights, and doing a few other searches, there are simply too many seats still left to sell.

So while profits may be up, and Delta may avoid opening up the lowest buckets and/or the prices in these buckets may be higher than previous years, I don't believe that a flight which is:
1) T-45 days from departure
2) To a leisure destination
3) Still has + 50% availability (one routing is an M fare, and between the two aircraft there are 15 Y seats reserved out of ~ 200)
will not see a fare drop to sell the remaining seats.

I found it more interesting that given these parameters, DL usually drops the prices about T-60, and they are clearly waiting until closer in to do so.

I'm thinking, that while profits are certainly a critical factor, a few other possibilities are:
1) DL conceding business on these routes (about 20 colleagues going to this conference have already booked non-stop routings on WN - the only carrier to fly non-stop PIT/LAS).
2) The pricing patterns of other airlines have shifted such that DL can hold onto sLUT inventory longer without losing significant business.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>Its never a bad idea to do a search of events that occur at your destination city before travelling.

Yeah. Last year I got a cheap fare to Louisville in May (R.I.P. ). Then I tried to get a hotel. $250 per night for a Super 8 was about the best within an hour of Louisville. Derby weekend.

I wound up driving to Lexington where I got an Extended Stay for $30 on Priceline.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Delta price drops after Southwest entry to ATL

I just checked a few market on Delta to see how much the prices is dropping after Southwest Airline entry in to ATL on Feb. 12

What a difference! The dates compared on Delta are Feb 2-6 and Feb 16-20

And the price goes up a little more if you have no status while checking in luggage on Delta

ATL-LAS $1,050

ATL-LAS $311

-------

ATL - LAX $556

ATL - LAX $335

------

ATL - Orlando $451

$137

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.