+$69 for F ATL-DEN this Fri

Old Jan 23, 12, 9:02 am
Original Poster

+$69 for F ATL-DEN this Fri

Hello guys,

As a CO Gold I am no stranger to upsells to F at booking/checking. But the amount DL is asking is just insanely low for a 3h flight like ATL-DEN. Just take a look at the flights on Fri, Jan 27 ATL-DEN... most are availabile for 279 as a one-way H fare, and for $69 more you get to ride in F (and displace my sorry Plat. ... out of there! ). I mean, CO can upsell IAH-FLL with a snack for $150 to a Silver... can't Delta charge a little more for the upsell than the cost of 2 checked bags and a beer???
Old Jan 23, 12, 9:15 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Is the flight wide open in coach? Maybe there aren't a lot of medallions on that flight so some money is better than no money.
Old Jan 23, 12, 9:20 am
Original Poster

No, the 7pm flight is full or oversold in coach! And it's not like there are no Medallions waiting to upgrade - I am a Plat and my ski buddy is a Gold... both of us still in the exit row
Old Jan 23, 12, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
Is the flight wide open in coach? Maybe there aren't a lot of medallions on that flight so some money is better than no money.
This...just without the concern for any "elites" (not sure why the number of elites would matter at all). Its all about the nickels and dimes now....maybe that is the way it should be but IMO loyalty should count for something. I am quite sure Delta can and should pass on the $60 to make a DM who spent $30k last year happy he/she did. They reported $800 million in profits in Q2...I firmly believe this strategy will fail at some point.

No medallions on a Friday ATL flight? Highly unlikely.
Old Jan 23, 12, 9:53 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
This...just without the concern for any "elites" (not sure why the number of elites would matter at all). Its all about the nickels and dimes now....maybe that is the way it should be but IMO loyalty should count for something. I am quite sure Delta can and should pass on the $60 to make a DM who spent $30k last year happy he/she did. They reported $800 million in profits in Q2...I firmly believe this strategy will fail at some point.

No medallions on a Friday ATL flight? Highly unlikely.
Concur.

This whoring out of F ahead of Medallion upgrades decreases my likelihood of purchasing any kind of ticket on Delta. SBUP was ok and made sense (sell upgrades after all Medallions upgraded). This is a disgrace.
Old Jan 23, 12, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Talking

I mean, I am not trying to debate the merits of upselling F... I am just surprised by the low amount!

With Delta, the question is always "What will be next?" $9 upsells to Florida (Take that, Spirit!)
Old Jan 23, 12, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Concur.

This whoring out of F ahead of Medallion upgrades decreases my likelihood of purchasing any kind of ticket on Delta. SBUP was ok and made sense (sell upgrades after all Medallions upgraded). This is a disgrace.
I think the timing of these being out there at 5 days prior (first window) is also quite telling.
Old Jan 23, 12, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus View Post
I mean, I am not trying to debate the merits of upselling F... I am just surprised by the low amount!

With Delta, the question is always "What will be next?" $9 upsells to Florida (Take that, Spirit!)
This is QUITE TELLING of NOTHING! This is FCM and the difference between the P fare and an H fare - fairly high on the fare bucket pecking order. Do we need to stir the pot again? If this was a T fare I could see cause for concern. However, -UP fares out of H and P fare differentials are NOTHING new.
Old Jan 23, 12, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Well there are no P fares to sell on that flight right now... the cheapest First Class fare is $1100+, books in F...
Old Jan 23, 12, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus View Post
Well there are no P fares to sell on that flight right now... the cheapest First Class fare is $1100+, books in F...

??? What are you looking at???

Look at one way for THIS Friday. $267.00 with an upgrade to FC (P) for another $80.
Old Jan 23, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Do we need to stir the pot again?
Yes, yes we do.....
Old Jan 23, 12, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
??? What are you looking at???

Look at one way for THIS Friday. $267.00 with an upgrade to FC (P) for another $80.
all I get is $140.00 to UG,and thats on the 0810 flight. EF shows F9 so, there is plenty of availability. Does anyone know what inventory there is for the upsell? Maybe DL cuts it off after selling one or two of them? The reason I ask is that the other flights are much, much more money to UG to first.

This doesnt bother me so much as it looks as if it really doesnt affect DM's.
Old Jan 23, 12, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

What I meant by no "P" fares is that when you search for cabin - First- only F fares come up for the non-stop flights. $1100+. Now, if you search for coach and then take them up on the "offer", you end up with P... for a lot less.

Oh, and the upgrade "offer" has indeed changed form $278 (for an H fare) +$69 to +$140... all in the matter of 1 day.

All I can say is, DL IT at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZT9IvH5mC8
Old Jan 23, 12, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
This doesnt bother me so much as it looks as if it really doesnt affect DM's.
Wait until you find yourself on an A319 out of IAH on a Thu or Fri evening
Old Jan 23, 12, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP
This...just without the concern for any "elites" (not sure why the number of elites would matter at all). Its all about the nickels and dimes now....maybe that is the way it should be but IMO loyalty should count for something. I am quite sure Delta can and should pass on the $60 to make a DM who spent $30k last year happy he/she did.
Should DL not sell F seats to non-medallions then? If someone is going to buy a P fare and spend $750-1100 (on most routes) why wouldn't they deserve to sit in the seat over a DM/PM/GM/FO wanting a comp UG from a $250-600 coach ticket? Us medallions all have the option of securing an F seat by purchasing the P fare too.

If you don't believe loyalty counts for anything what would you call the benefits like:
-125% mileage bonus for DMs (non medallion only earns 100% miles not 225%)
-Access to Exit Rows/Economy Comfort on all flights for free (non medallion cannot assign Exit Rows in advance, at check in they can purchase for a fee...Economy Comfort can be paid for by a non medallion)
-Dedicated Reservation line that picks up pretty much instantly (non medallion gets regular phone line - hold times 5-30 mins)
-Priority Check-In, Security, Boarding (non medallion goes to regular line and takes more time to complete the whole process)
-Have One On Us coupons when not upgraded (non medallion pays $6-7 for drinks or food)
-Free Skyclub Membership (non medallion pays $50 a day --$25 w/DL Amex--or $450 annually)
-Better Access to Award Seats (non medallion sees more 40k+ awards than DMs)
-Complimentary upgrades (space available) on any fare, even coach award tickets (non medallion cannot upgrade, they would have to pay for F or pay for an upgradeable fare and use miles)
-Free Same Day Confirmed--co-terminals allowed for DM (non medallion pays $50 and cannot do co-terminals)
-Free Checked Bags (non medallion $25 First/$35 second)
-Waived Change fees on award tickets--outside 72hrs (non medallion $150)
-SkyTeam partner lounge access on international itineraries (non medallion gets no lounge access)
-Priority handling during IROPs (no real IROP protect for non medallion, they get worked after medallions)
-Choice Benefits (non medallion doesn't get this)

My opinion would be that all the above listed benefits would fall under the category of rewarding loyalty. Not everyone gets the DM treatment or even PM/GM/FO treatment. Even if you sit in Y (if that is what you paid for an the comp UG doesn't clear) you should have a good seat close to the front of the cabin. Comp UGs are nice but a paid F ticket deserves to sit up front too

Search this Thread
Search Engine: