+$69 for F ATL-DEN this Fri

Old Jan 23, 12, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler View Post
Should DL not sell F seats to non-medallions then? If someone is going to buy a P fare and spend $750-1100 (on most routes) why wouldn't they deserve to sit in the seat over a DM/PM/GM/FO wanting a comp UG from a $250-600 coach ticket? Us medallions all have the option of securing an F seat by purchasing the P fare too.

If you don't believe loyalty counts for anything what would you call the benefits like:
-125% mileage bonus for DMs (non medallion only earns 100% miles not 225%)
-Access to Exit Rows/Economy Comfort on all flights for free (non medallion cannot assign Exit Rows in advance, at check in they can purchase for a fee...Economy Comfort can be paid for by a non medallion)
-Dedicated Reservation line that picks up pretty much instantly (non medallion gets regular phone line - hold times 5-30 mins)
-Priority Check-In, Security, Boarding (non medallion goes to regular line and takes more time to complete the whole process)
-Have One On Us coupons when not upgraded (non medallion pays $6-7 for drinks or food)
-Free Skyclub Membership (non medallion pays $50 a day --$25 w/DL Amex--or $450 annually)
-Better Access to Award Seats (non medallion sees more 40k+ awards than DMs)
-Complimentary upgrades (space available) on any fare, even coach award tickets (non medallion cannot upgrade, they would have to pay for F or pay for an upgradeable fare and use miles)
-Free Same Day Confirmed--co-terminals allowed for DM (non medallion pays $50 and cannot do co-terminals)
-Free Checked Bags (non medallion $25 First/$35 second)
-Waived Change fees on award tickets--outside 72hrs (non medallion $150)
-SkyTeam partner lounge access on international itineraries (non medallion gets no lounge access)
-Priority handling during IROPs (no real IROP protect for non medallion, they get worked after medallions)
-Choice Benefits (non medallion doesn't get this)

My opinion would be that all the above listed benefits would fall under the category of rewarding loyalty. Not everyone gets the DM treatment or even PM/GM/FO treatment. Even if you sit in Y (if that is what you paid for an the comp UG doesn't clear) you should have a good seat close to the front of the cabin. Comp UGs are nice but a paid F ticket deserves to sit up front too
GYE....while your argument makes perfect sense to anyone with normal blood flow to the brain, this is the DL thread on FT. There are those on here that vehemently argue that should be given to Elite to reward loyalty. When I see that argument, I think something pops in my head. "Don't sell it, I want it for free". Absurd. Good for you DL...sell what you can...if I want it, I will buy it, if there is some left over and I get it for free, I will thank you.
Old Jan 23, 12, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Good for you DL...sell what you can...if I want it, I will buy it, if there is some left over and I get it for free, I will thank you.
^^^^^^^^^
Old Jan 23, 12, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus View Post
Wait until you find yourself on an A319 out of IAH on a Thu or Fri evening
Wouldn't bother me. Coach on a 3 hour flight is not the end of the world. I've given up many a confirmed upgrade. Besides, did you start this thread, and continue to contribute to it, just for the sole intention of stirring the pot?
Old Jan 23, 12, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
GYE....while your argument makes perfect sense to anyone with normal blood flow to the brain, this is the DL thread on FT. There are those on here that vehemently argue that should be given to Elite to reward loyalty. When I see that argument, I think something pops in my head. "Don't sell it, I want it for free". Absurd. Good for you DL...sell what you can...if I want it, I will buy it, if there is some left over and I get it for free, I will thank you.
^ You have a good business sense and a great attitude toward the perks
Old Jan 23, 12, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I never said I am opposed to upsells.. I am just opposed to generating random (and low) price points using an algorithm opaque to anyone but those that wrote it.

I have gotten approx. $99 each way upsell offers on a $100 each way ticket TPA to LAS. Off of a T fare!

But let me ask you, can I pay the $69 if I wanted to and upgrade now, months after my ticket has been issued? CO's systems are set-up to allow you to do it at any point during AND after purchase... DL not so much (see chicken fare generator)
Old Jan 23, 12, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I never said I am opposed to upsells.. I am just opposed to generating random (and low) price points using an algorithm opaque to anyone but those that wrote it.

I have gotten approx. $99 each way upsell offers on a $100 each way ticket TPA to LAS. Off of a T fare!

But let me ask you, can I pay the $69 if I wanted to and upgrade now, months after my ticket has been issued? CO's systems are set-up to allow you to do it at any point during AND after purchase... DL not so much (see chicken fare generator)
wow, your on a roll BackoftheBus... what set you off? But please, keep going. your very entertaining.
Old Jan 23, 12, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG

There is a valid question in here. Can one "buy-up" if one has purchased the ticket several months out, and DL only offers the $69 upgrade for your <insert fare class> within 7 days of departure and right before/when the upgrades are supposed to run.

Or can you only "buy-up" if it just happens to be offered when you are buying your ticket - usually only a week or so before departure?

In this scenario, someone paying $500 for their H fare several weeks/months out could be disadvantaged over someone paying the same price for that same fare just one week out, if the early bookers are not afforded the same opportunity to buy-up should it be offered.

In this example, it has nothing to do with the concept of monetising so much as potentially penalising those who book early versus incentivising those who book late, even if buying the exact same fare. Over the long term, this can be counter intuitive to encouraging the types of more predictable purchasing behaviour that airlines would like.

Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
wow, your on a roll BackoftheBus... what set you off? But please, keep going. your very entertaining.
I think the question posted was actually quite valid. But your mileage may vary and you're not under any obligation of course to participate
Old Jan 23, 12, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta FO/1.3MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Croque Monsieur anyone?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: