Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta, Westjet Launch Codeshare Agreement

Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MachOne
Looks like Delta is seeking a reciprocal code share agreement with services as follows:

Between any point or points in the United States and any point or points
Canada (on a nonstop basis and via intermediate routings);
Between U.S. points;
Between points in Canada;
Beyond Canada to any point or points; and
Beyond the United States to any point or points.

Westjet runs a pretty decent operation. Only minus, right off the bat, is that WestJet does not have a premium cabin.

source:
http://archive.traveldaily.com.au/td..._codeshare.pdf

MO
After I read this I think I know now who may get the slots from LGA in Auction:

Southwest and WestJet.

Westjet will gain traffic from Delta at LGA. Seems to make a lot of sense.

The agreement will indeed allow for more access on Delta to Canada from the airports.

Not bad. For me if I ever wanted to fly to Canada from LGA in the future on westjet, could be a very nice move indeed if it happens.

I am liking this deal especially if Westjet gets the LGA slots. Plenty of room for Westjet in the combined USAirways and Delta terminals after it is connected for easy boarding access too.

Thanks for the headsup in these forums. Without Flyertalk wouldn't have known about this.

Last edited by adamj023; Nov 2, 2011 at 11:56 am
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
WS is not just coding with AA but CX as well.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
WS is not just coding with AA but CX as well.
Interline agreements work well like this.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

Just saw this on the site: http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1523

Delta, WestJet to Launch Codeshare Service
Partnership will provide expanded U.S., Canadian options for customers of both carriers

Jan 17, 2012

ATLANTA and CALGARY, Alberta, Jan. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) and WestJet today announced a codesharing agreement on flights within the United States and Canada, further expanding the partnership between the two carriers. The codeshare flights are available for purchase now for service beginning Jan. 23, 2012.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090202/DELTALOGO)

Last year, the two airlines began an interline agreement that allowed customers to purchase connecting flights on one ticket, receive boarding passes for all segments at their first check-in, and tag bags through to their final destination.

Under the first phase of the new codeshare agreement, Delta will place its code on WestJet flights to more than 15 cities, while the WestJet code will be added to Delta flights on five markets, expanding the networks of both airlines for customers flying between the two countries. Members of the Delta Air Lines' SkyMiles® program and WestJet's Frequent Guest Program® will be able to earn miles or rewards on the codeshare flights, providing customers another benefit of the enhanced relationship.

"Our codeshare partnership with WestJet means an array of expanded travel options in the U.S. and Canada for our customers, with easy access to the airline's extensive Canadian network and trans-border service between Canada and the United States," said Charlie Pappas, Delta's vice president – Alliances.

"We are pleased to welcome Delta Air Lines' customers aboard our WestJet flights and offer our guests new opportunities to access Delta's extensive network", said John MacLeod, WestJet Vice-President, Network Management and Alliances. "We very much look forward to adding more codeshare destinations to our Delta partnership in the near future."
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Any word if this will be all or only some of the Trans border flights? I also wonder if this will end a lot of the DL flights to Canada, and just rely on Westjet to fill in the gaps.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:41 am

Flights in the agreement include:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-...12035.html?x=0

I see they are more for Delta to reach to (or to enhance its reach to) other Canadian cities via Toronto and Calgary.

Westjet gains access to Detroit via 4 Canadian cities and access to Boston only via Toronto.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
This is a big plus for those of us who travel from the US to Canada on a regular basis. Maybe we can get a few non-stops to Toronto that do not require the obligatory stopover in DTW, MSP, CVG, ATL or JFK.

At least coming from PHX I have alot of options on routes, but at best it's a 7 hour trip with the hub.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by jing_canada
Flights in the agreement include:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-...12035.html?x=0

I see they are more for Delta to reach to (or to enhance its reach to) other Canadian cities via Toronto and Calgary.

Westjet gains access to Detroit via 4 Canadian cities and access to Boston only via Toronto.
Thanks. It does give a way to get to YYG, one place that Mrs RobtheAggie has always wanted to go. Now it will possible, while avoiding a CRJ! Same with YHZ. I wonder how the transfer from DL to WestJet will work at YYZ. After passing customs is there a transfer line, I cannot remember.

Last edited by RobtheAggie; Jan 18, 2012 at 5:34 am
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:14 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Key question is whether new WJ's new LGA flights will be included later...that would have mOre value than flying from st John to Halifax for most of us...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
What about PHX, LAS, LAX, SFO, FLL, MIA, TPA, MCO will ever have own codeshare with DL/WS? Is that on the list?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by EZE
Key question is whether new WJ's new LGA flights will be included later...that would have mOre value than flying from st John to Halifax for most of us...
Great question, I wonder if that would open up another round of hearings regarding slot control at LGA. Maybe that is why it is not included.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Silver
An interesting aspect is the proposed launch by WJ of a subsidiary flying Q400s and operating in smaller market. This could allow some interesting cross-feeding opportunities, in particular to those DL hub or focus cities near the Canadian border.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
Thanks. It does give a way to get to YYG, one place that Mrs RobtheAggie has always wanted to go. Now it will possible, while avoiding a CRJ! Same with YHZ. I wonder how the transfer from DL to WestJet will work at YYZ. After passing customs is there a transfer line, I cannot remember.
You can only reach DL gates after going through US immigration/customs and security again, or you can only reach WJ gates after going through Canadian immigration/customs and going through security again. Both WJ and DL operate out of T3, which minimizes the hassle somewhat, although the area in T3 dedicated to US-bound flight is not at all the best for services (in particular no lounge access despite the number of flights). There is no dedicated transfer line.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I guessing the codeshare will allow redemption of skymiles for canadian outposts served by WestJet? If so, this is a win since DL doesn't have a great Canadian network.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by EZE
I'd be very surprised if WestJet's new LGA flights are not included.

Hard to sell yourself as a business travelers hub at LGA and not offer (either on their own metal or WestJet's) LGA-YYZ and LGA-YUL flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.