Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight Attendant "Ahh Sir, doing the good deed"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold

I didn't want to make this long but read on...

I suppose I did a good deed? Wanted to be seated with my SO!

Today traveling with my SO, JFK-SFO, upgrade list not too deep, only about 30 people or so. I'm on a paid fare, SO on mileage tix, chances of an complimentary upgrade -100% and beyond. No big deal, we are both in EC and I dismissed the idea of even making the upgrade on a Thursday evening flight as Diamond on a T fare. I don't recall seeing many FC seats left open upon checking in and I was something like #5 or 6 but again didn't care!

Anyways, I went to the gate, BEEP BEEP, to my surprise I cleared. Earlier in the day I was joking with my SO that I called and upgraded my ticket to first class. Then comes the stare/blank look from her that will be the death of me. Looked at my SO and said "Hunny don't worry, someone will be happy to switch!"

After everyone boards, next to my SO in EC is a child in the middle seat, mom in aisle, seats 20BC and her other daughter in 20D, both girls under 10. Uh ohs. I go to the EC section and I knew this was going to be trouble. I said, do you want a first class seat, the mom looks at me bug eyed as in her and the girls are staying together !

quick intermission... - I did try to get my SO to take the upgrade but she of course just wanted to be seated together and didn't care one bit for the upgrade.

Back to trying to find someone who wants my First Class seat, JFK-SFO???

I go back to the front cabin, a few minutes passed and the mother with the girls seemed to have figured out a solution. 20E was empty, 20D young daughter, 20F random woman. The mother asked the lady in 20F if she wanted to switch so she and her girls can have a whole row for themselves. Lady accepts, I also believe she didn't have a clue that I was trying to give up my seat in First. Anyways, she now in 20C, 20B empty, 20A my SO. I come back to get 20B, hooray!? I then realized I didn't want to be cramped in a middle seat so I told the lady in 20C who before was in 20F that she should go take my first class seat.

Lady in 20C: "me, really" Me: "yes, take it, go" Lady: "WOW, OK, Sounds good too me!" - Lady was so excited and literally jumped up and grabbed her things.

I don't think I'll ever be that patient again to give up my F seat, haha.

In the end the young girls were going back and forth with the mother saying, I would have taken first class mommy. As in the little girl would have left her mom for the seat, haha!

Fun times

Cheers~!

Last edited by krpjr; Jan 12, 2012 at 7:44 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by krpjr
In the end the young girls were going back and forth with the mother saying, I would have taken first class mommy. As in the little girl would have left her mom for the seat, haha!

Fun times

Cheers~!
Sounds like the little girl was one of the smartest passengers on the plane imo!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by MileHighGuy
Sounds like the little girl was one of the smartest passengers on the plane imo!
Truth from the mouth of babes!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Why didn't you decline the upgrade if you knew you wanted to sit to with your companion? This way it would have gone to another medallion. Sounds like shena to me.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Why didn't your SO just switch with the daughter in 20D? Result would have been pretty much the same, but the woman in 20F wouldn't have had to switch twice (to 20C and then to your F seat).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
why are you on the UG list if you are unwilling to split from your companion (or have your companion take the UG)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
A really wonderful story.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
.... story for the PM/DM below you
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Why didn't you decline the upgrade if you knew you wanted to sit to with your companion? This way it would have gone to another medallion. Sounds like shena to me.
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
why are you on the UG list if you are unwilling to split from your companion (or have your companion take the UG)
True and I do apologize. It is a great idea to take myself off the upgrade list, honestly. However, I needed a last minute plan to bail if my woman decided to nag me anytime prior to depature !

As an engineer, I think 2 steps ahead and make the most simplistic situations very complex. Just how things are done, haha.

I apologize to any fellow medallions out there in the sea or any whom were on board this flight! But too be honest, we were boarding during Zone 4. I' m a bit more happy that I knew the seat went to a customer and not a NRSA ! Wasn't sure if I told the GA I decline, if the next medallion would have received the upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Last time I was flying together with my wife JFK>SEA (#1 on upgrade list) I just went to the gate agent and asked her to remove me from upgrade list and double check that we still have seats together. 1 minute work.

It's better for everyone this way.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
wrong forum.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by janibe
Last time I was flying together with my wife JFK>SEA (#1 on upgrade list) I just went to the gate agent and asked her to remove me from upgrade list and double check that we still have seats together. 1 minute work.

It's better for everyone this way.
^

If I were on this flight and were the first medallion to miss the UG, I'd be upset. And I make it a point to wait until all of F has boarded, because there have been times where I was "n+1" out of "n" seats available and one of the higher medallions didn't show up (or took themselves off the UG list).
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, National Executive, IHG Platinum
I've been known to begrudgingly decline an upgrade or two to sit with my SO, but never on a TCON. If she ever asks me to decline JFK-SFO I hope there's an attractive woman next to me in F 'cause I'll be 'upgrading' in more ways than one!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
I've done this once or twice for military folks in uniform. If it's a relatively short flight and I'm not stuck way in back. One time there were a few soldiers on my flight when I offered one of them my seat, they went on to play rock/scissors/paper to see who got it. Fun times. Felt good.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've been upgraded at the gate before with the wife, even after being on same pnr. And she gets Y while I get the F. Of course I always switch with the pax next to the wife, but it should be both of us upgraded or none of us upgraded, but never seems to happen that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.