Booking award ticket on KLM using delta miles

Old Jan 27, 17, 12:12 pm

Looking for advice for MAN-AMS

I'm looking for experienced advice re booking a KL flight with Skymiles.

On 9 Jun 2017, I need two one-way tickets MAN-AMS, preferably in the middle of the day. Currently, the best Y fare is 74 per person, but adding a check-in bag each and a seat reservation charge brings that to at least 100. And I've checked that I can't do better by buying a round-trip ticket and throwing away the return segment (as was the case when we last flew that route in 2013).

DL is offering me a C seat for 25k SkyMiles plus 42. While the 25k is steep compared with the relative value of the 70k miles I've just spent on a VS transatlantic C seat, using the miles makes sense to me since the C seat won't involve the nuisance charges associated with checking our bags, choosing seats in advance, etc.

But here's the issue. For our preferred flight (13:40 ex MAN), there's only one seat currently on offer from DL. For another acceptable but definitely inferior timing (11:15), there are three seats on offer. Both flights are currently wide open.

Is anyone able to opine knowledgeably on whether, if I wait to book, KL/DL are likely to offer more SkyMiles seats on the preferred flight? While no Y seats are currently offered for SkyMiles on these flights, might that change? Or is what I can see now likely to be as good as it gets, so that I should opt for the inferior flight seats while they are still on offer? What would you do in these circumstances?

Search this Thread