Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking award ticket on KLM using delta miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking award ticket on KLM using delta miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat
Has anyone been able to book a KLM transatlantic flight AMS and on to North Asia at Delta's North America to North Asia price? For some city pairs, routing with a single stop at AMS is faster than routing via the Pacific.

For example, BOS/DTW/MSP/NYC-AMS-CTU and return would be 80K Y/120K J if this is still possible, since KLM does publish fares for this origin and destination.

I had previously read that this was possible if KLM published a fare, but I have not heard of anyone doing this in some time.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am considering doing HKG-BCN in early June and SU doesn't have O inventory for my dates of travel (at least not HKG-SVO-HKG).

When I use EF to search for KLM flights, there is no O inventory but there is "C" or "flex award for elites". Is this class available only to KLM elites and not DL.

The flights I want do not show on DL web, namely 6/5 - 6/10.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
That's correct, C inventory cannot be booked using DL SkyMiles. As a general rule of thumb for KLM flights, if it does not show up on your delta.com award search then it probably cannot be booked as a DL award. And sometimes, even if it does show up on delta.com it still cannot be booked! That has been increasingly the case recently.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
What are the equivalent redemption levels between Delta and KLM?

For example, if I go to the KLM web site and find a "classic" award for 50k miles between AMS-ATL, does that equate to a low award of 60k miles when I call Delta to book ??

Or do I have to price the itinerary on the delta.dumb web site to see the true amount of miles I would have to redeem? I'd rather call and deal with a person since the award engine is so broken.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
A subset of KLM "classic" awards are available for low-level redemption using DL SkyMiles. Aside from those, there is no other way to book KLM flights as Delta awards (unless the flight is a Delta codeshare).
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
This is such a pain in the neck. I spent over 2 hours on hold today trying to book a flight on KLM using DL miles and in the end after seeing everything available online, I was told only the outbound is available.

I do have a question, does DL allow you to redeem DL miles for flights on SU or any other skyteam partner besides AF and KL?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BG-777Flyer
What are the equivalent redemption levels between Delta and KLM?

For example, if I go to the KLM web site and find a "classic" award for 50k miles between AMS-ATL, does that equate to a low award of 60k miles when I call Delta to book ??

Or do I have to price the itinerary on the delta.dumb web site to see the true amount of miles I would have to redeem? I'd rather call and deal with a person since the award engine is so broken.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Effective June 1, 2013, KLM has increased their business R/T transatlantic mileage requirement to 125,000. I'm wondering whether Delta will follow suit?

In any case, if anyone has any luck in getting award tickets on transatlantic KLM-operated flights using Delta miles, it would be good to post it here... Availability seems to have vanished altogether.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Effective June 1, 2013, KLM has increased their business R/T transatlantic mileage requirement to 125,000. I'm wondering whether Delta will follow suit?

In any case, if anyone has any luck in getting award tickets on transatlantic KLM-operated flights using Delta miles, it would be good to post it here... Availability seems to have vanished altogether.
DL is not concerned with the mileage that FlyingBlue requires. They look at how they match up against AA, UA, and US. While those programs all have some differences, the key areas of agreement are domestic awards and US-Europe awards. I don't expect we'll see a change in the price for US-Europe that's not related to FBATR.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Did a search this morning for ANY availability on North America-KLM/AMS-North America in O class. Nothing ... Nada. Has KLM pulled all O inventory for Skyteam or DL use? AF has good availability 1 year out.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: SQ
Something is going on with DL and KL - I'm actually convinced that this is coming from DLs end.

There are a lot of things showing up on the Delta site that won't book. Including the intra-Europe flights
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by number21
Did a search this morning for ANY availability on North America-KLM/AMS-North America in O class. Nothing ... Nada. Has KLM pulled all O inventory for Skyteam or DL use? AF has good availability 1 year out.
Today I found award inventory on delta.dumb for KLM ORD-AMS but repeated efforts to book it, as business class low, caused errors. A SLC DM agent tried hard and spent time on it, including booking each segment that I told her separately and trying a long sell (she said), but no luck and she admitted that there were problems between DL and KLM during the last year or so.

The good news is that we found even better flights in low for me.

Also, KLM connections within Europe in business class seem to have improved availability, although AF seems to be better in this dimension currently.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Priority Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Something is going on with DL and KL - I'm actually convinced that this is coming from DLs end.

There are a lot of things showing up on the Delta site that won't book. Including the intra-Europe flights
I had this same issue recently, trying to book a KLM flight (AMS-CDG) in the middle of two other legs (DTW-AMS-CDG-DEL). I found each leg on delta.dumb, but got the "one of the flights just sold out error" when I clicked through to book. Spent hours on the phone with Delta reps trying to work out the issue, and got a lot of misinformation about it not being bookable.

Eventually, I was able to put just the KLM flight (AMS-CDG) on hold on delta.dumb, and then the rep I was on the phone with added all of my other legs to that reservation. Success!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by umamy
I had this same issue recently, trying to book a KLM flight (AMS-CDG) in the middle of two other legs (DTW-AMS-CDG-DEL). I found each leg on delta.dumb, but got the "one of the flights just sold out error" when I clicked through to book. Spent hours on the phone with Delta reps trying to work out the issue, and got a lot of misinformation about it not being bookable.

Eventually, I was able to put just the KLM flight (AMS-CDG) on hold on delta.dumb, and then the rep I was on the phone with added all of my other legs to that reservation. Success!
This seems consistent with what I saw: KLM and especially AF intraEU flights can be booked with DL miles, at least in business class, but KLM TATL shows some phantom availability on delta.dumb while AF TATL consistently does not appear on delta.dumb or EF.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lamont2718
A subset of KLM "classic" awards are available for low-level redemption using DL SkyMiles. Aside from those, there is no other way to book KLM flights as Delta awards (unless the flight is a Delta codeshare).
Is this still correct? I found classic business award on FB JFK-AMS. DL.com shows nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.