Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SWUs on DL-Coded/KL-Operated Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium

Coming up soon I am flying to the middle east on a entirely DL-coded/ticketed itinerary, but with the final leg to my destination being KL-coded. I've already been waitlisted for the ATL-AMS segment (DL-Operated/Coded), and I'm crossing my fingers that it will clear. For the AMS-BAH segment I'm flying on a DL-coded/KL-operated flight in B class. I've gone ahead and looked on expertflyer and found that O3 is available (actually was O4 a few hours ago...) on the KL flight number and @DeltaAssist confirmed that there was availibility. Figuring that this meant I was good to go, I called up the Plat line twice and both times the agents told me there was nothing available under the DL or KL flight numbers for upgrades using Miles or SWUs.

So am I doing something wrong here? Are there any particular instructions that I can give them, if perhaps the agent isn't familar with processing SWUs on KL flights? Or is there some background as to why this can't be done? It's my first time trying to use an SWU...
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
tell the agent to change the DL codeshare to a KL flight in B class and the SWU should get you to O.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
tell the agent to change the DL codeshare to a KL flight in B class and the SWU should get you to O.
So is it not possible to process a SWU when it is booked as a DL codeshare? Will asking to change from a DL to KL flight number cause a re-calculation of the fare? Like I said before, I'm new to the international SWU game...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Berto
So is it not possible to process a SWU when it is booked as a DL codeshare? Will asking to change from a DL to KL flight number cause a re-calculation of the fare? Like I said before, I'm new to the international SWU game...
nope, the fare stays the same. When you do a W-class DL codeshare on AF then the agent has to change it to W on AF as well before processing the SWU. You can't go to O on DL codeshare it has to be on AF/KL. It can be tricky, but most agents know how to do it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
+1, great suggestion. Same issues with DL coded AF operated flights. If the agents searches the AF flight number they can pull it up. They should be able to search and then change your PNR without a ticket reissue, however when the SWU is processed the ticket will be reissued.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Well, I tried calling delta up again today in my attempt to upgrade the AMS-BAH flight again. This third agent finally did acknowledge that there was inventory available on this KLM segment and was put on hold for some time. She came back and told me that because I was waitlisted on a DL segment ATL-AMS that they could not confirm me into the KL segment since "they have to get me to Amsterdam first". I couldn't get this particular agent to make the swap to the KLM flight number. Now, I'm pretty sure that I've read about people using a single SWU where you get confirmed one segment and waitlisted for others.

I must admit that this is somewhat frustrating. I'm doubting that my ATL-AMS flight will clear, there's 6 unassigned J seats with J4 being available (and Z0), and I would hate for this to be holding up or preventing me from the KLM segment, since that has availability.

Perhaps I just need to spin the Delta agent roulette wheel again....or get an agent in ATL to figure this out during one of my layovers there this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.