Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Made My Wife Cry

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hertz PC
Delta Made My Wife Cry

My wife and I are visiting the SLC Skyclub as we await our connecting flight. My wife had an earlier mishap which brought back many personal Delta flashbacks. I suggested we spend the flight time composing a "Dear John" letter to Delta, which I emailed a few minutes ago.

To: Medallion Customer Relations
Date: January 4, 2012
Re: Delta Made My Wife Cry

With much relief, I have finally made a decision I’ve been considering for years—that my Delta days are over. Good-bye rude gate agents, farewell to my Delta Reserve and the $85k annual spend, good-bye to Platinum Medallion and lounges with insufficient power outlets and stale celery.

This is not a request for service-recovery. That hasn’t worked in the past. This is to let you know that you have finally gone too far. While I have blacklisted several companies, this is my wife’s first time--congratulations on that dubious accomplishment!

Let me emphasize that today’s incident is not the only reason why we are leaving. Today’s incident simply nudged us toward the light and I am thankful for that.

Today, my wife and I were issued new itineraries for a delayed flight and the resulting new connecting flight. That was not a problem. During Zone 1 boarding, my wife handed the GA her new itinerary instead of the original boarding pass and the GA asked for her boarding pass, saying that was needed because it has the seat assignment. So far, no problems.

My wife then presented her boarding pass and it was scanned. She immediately noticed the itinerary contained the seat assignment and let the GA know that in a very polite, FYI, manner, before moving on. The GA then rudely repeated that she needed the BP, adding “I know what I’m doing,” as though either comment were relevant to my wife’s feedback.

I then heard my wife say, precisely, “I’m just trying to be helpful so you don’t explain it that way to other people” (the reason provided wasn’t valid since the itinerary had the seat assignment and a simple “I need to your BP,” would suffice.)

I could hardly believe my ears when the GA then turned away from my wife, back to the boarding line, and said in a loud, jeering voice “I’ve been doing this for 23 years and I don’t need any help.” Had that response not been from a Red Coat, I would have asked to speak to one!

When we got on the plane, my wife had a tear streaking down her face because of how poorly she was treated. The worse part for her was the GA turning away while loudly stating her last comment. Clearly, that was not for wife’s benefit and it illustrated that she didn’t understand or want to understand, my wife’s point. This was more of a taunting and degrading gesture to get rid of my wife. Well, forget you.

So here we are on the way to SLC, very happy to have been set free. Don’t bother apologizing, I’m done with compromising. Apologies in the past haven’t led to better service. Case closed.

P.S. This is far from the first service debacle we have experienced on Delta. To illustrate: I once left a brand new, alpaca sweater my wife bought me in the overhead bin as I deplaned. Before I reached the end of the skyway, I realized that fact and asked a crewmember if I could grab it. She said I would need to contact Lost and Found later. No, I couldn’t make this stuff up! I should have left Delta then and there, but I was young and foolish.

I made at least 30 calls over two weeks and could not once get through to a person or voicemail at the Lost & Found. Only a Delta employee would find that an acceptable alternative to walking twenty steps to grab my sweater. [The worse incidents are too lengthy to recount, but I'll gladly share as part of a "what not to do" session in your customer service training.]

Sincerely,
[Names and Skymiles Numbers]
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:53 pm

I know this is going to sound harsh but..... this is what is wrong with the world today. Can people get more of a thick skin?

This is what makes people cry in 2012? Jeez.....
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:53 pm

I am lost as to what you're saying. You said:

My wife had an earlier mishap which brought back many personal Delta flashbacks.
Which would say that this happened in the past, so you're sitting in the SLC Sky Club after swearing off Delta forever?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
What is it that you want? If it's seek compensation then there is no reason for DL to extend any because you have already left. You said it best, "Don't bother apologizing.... case closed"

The reality is this letter is too long, and really not worthy of a significant complaint letter. But send away if it makes you feel better.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:55 pm

Your wife should have known to not provoke the GA needlessly. She had already handed over the boarding pass and there was no need to school the GA on how to properly read an itinerary and after that particular line didn't go over very well, escalating the confrontation by further explaining to the GA how she could prevent scewing things up for other people down the line, oi vey! Not to excuse the reaction of the GA but something sounds a bit off on this story.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:56 pm

tl; dr

have fun on SWA!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I'm sure this will be a lawsuit down the road.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:58 pm

I don't understand why she was crying. The agent just made a comment back.

As someone else said - the letter is long and, again, I don't see the point. If it makes you feel better then send it.

Also - maybe because we don't know previous incidents is because we don't understand this. :/ who knows.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by davidk2345
I know this is going to sound harsh but..... this is what is wrong with the world today. Can people get more of a thick skin?

This is what makes people cry in 2012? Jeez.....
^

She handed the GA her itinerary? If I was the GA, I would ask for the boarding pass. The boarding pass is sort of a pass to board, so to speak.

Last edited by gwar69; Jan 4, 2012 at 6:15 pm Reason: Added Sarcasm
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by Dining_Caper
My wife and I are visiting the SLC Skyclub as we await our connecting flight. My wife had an earlier mishap which brought back many personal Delta flashbacks. I suggested we spend the flight time composing a "Dear John" letter to Delta, which I emailed a few minutes ago.

To: Medallion Customer Relations
Date: January 4, 2012
Re: Delta Made My Wife Cry

With much relief, I have finally made a decision I’ve been considering for years—that my Delta days are over. Good-bye rude gate agents, farewell to my Delta Reserve and the $85k annual spend, good-bye to Platinum Medallion and lounges with insufficient power outlets and stale celery.

This is not a request for service-recovery. That hasn’t worked in the past. This is to let you know that you have finally gone too far. While I have blacklisted several companies, this is my wife’s first time--congratulations on that dubious accomplishment!

Let me emphasize that today’s incident is not the only reason why we are leaving. Today’s incident simply nudged us toward the light and I am thankful for that.

Today, my wife and I were issued new itineraries for a delayed flight and the resulting new connecting flight. That was not a problem. During Zone 1 boarding, my wife handed the GA her new itinerary instead of the original boarding pass and the GA asked for her boarding pass, saying that was needed because it has the seat assignment. So far, no problems.

My wife then presented her boarding pass and it was scanned. She immediately noticed the itinerary contained the seat assignment and let the GA know that in a very polite, FYI, manner, before moving on. The GA then rudely repeated that she needed the BP, adding “I know what I’m doing,” as though either comment were relevant to my wife’s feedback.

I then heard my wife say, precisely, “I’m just trying to be helpful so you don’t explain it that way to other people” (the reason provided wasn’t valid since the itinerary had the seat assignment and a simple “I need to your BP,” would suffice.)

I could hardly believe my ears when the GA then turned away from my wife, back to the boarding line, and said in a loud, jeering voice “I’ve been doing this for 23 years and I don’t need any help.” Had that response not been from a Red Coat, I would have asked to speak to one!

When we got on the plane, my wife had a tear streaking down her face because of how poorly she was treated. The worse part for her was the GA turning away while loudly stating her last comment. Clearly, that was not for wife’s benefit and it illustrated that she didn’t understand or want to understand, my wife’s point. This was more of a taunting and degrading gesture to get rid of my wife. Well, forget you.

So here we are on the way to SLC, very happy to have been set free. Don’t bother apologizing, I’m done with compromising. Apologies in the past haven’t led to better service. Case closed.

P.S. This is far from the first service debacle we have experienced on Delta. To illustrate: I once left a brand new, alpaca sweater my wife bought me in the overhead bin as I deplaned. Before I reached the end of the skyway, I realized that fact and asked a crewmember if I could grab it. She said I would need to contact Lost and Found later. No, I couldn’t make this stuff up! I should have left Delta then and there, but I was young and foolish.

I made at least 30 calls over two weeks and could not once get through to a person or voicemail at the Lost & Found. Only a Delta employee would find that an acceptable alternative to walking twenty steps to grab my sweater. [The worse incidents are too lengthy to recount, but I'll gladly share as part of a "what not to do" session in your customer service training.]

Sincerely,
[Names and Skymiles Numbers]

Yawn. Have fun on SWA!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
spending 85K a year and only platinum??? You're doing it wrong.

Either way, one less in front of me on the upgrade list! Goodbye.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL DM - Hertz PC - SPG Platinum - Marriott Platinum
The response she got doesn't sound appropriate, but I don't think it would cause me to check out on Delta.

OP: How do you spend $85K a year, ride in coach (zone1) and only reach Platinum?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:08 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dining_Caper
Kind of overly dramatic don't you think? I've been treated worse by airline gate agents, public bus drivers, bosses, US CBP agents TSA baboons, ex-lovers etc etc... The wife should develop a thicker skin as previously said.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:13 pm

Your 85k a year spend on a Delta on a credit card has no bearing on your complaint. Now if you said you spent 85k a year on Delta tickets that would mean something. But none of it needs to said because your value as customer is already calculated by a Delta computer.

This is enough to make your wife cry.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Not a good example of customer service by any means, but hardly the worst I've ever experienced (admittedly have not been treated this way by DL).

The only question to ask, which is probably too late, but does this one bad apple truly beat all the good experiences you must have had? I'm not an apologist, but I personally would have gotten that agent's name and contacted CS/RA/DL Corp describing that person. Beyond the classic "so this is the type of customer service you've provided for 23 years? Impressive."

I hope the grass is greener.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.