Search

The Finger Wag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DYKWIA
The Finger Wag

Are you for it, or against it?

Quite frankly, I think there's a significant balding, middle-aged PAX contingent that gets quite excited by Deltalina, and even more so by the finger wag.

Personally, I'll pass, primarily because I see it as condescending, disrespectful and unprofessional.

Opinions?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Couldn't care less...and was creeped out by a guy next to me on a flight last spring who seemed hot and bothered by Deltalina...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Nothing wrong with the finger wag, but the safety video is going on 4 years old now and I think it's time for something new.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by timf
Nothing wrong with the finger wag, but the safety video is going on 4 years old now and I think it's time for something new.
"We can not update the video. I'm so sorry"
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
It is time for an update, but how can you top the buzz that was started with the last one? Like it or not, the "Deltalina" video was a marketing home run.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Smile

I love the finger wag! I will actually wag along with her - kind of like the Rocky Horror Show. Also, love how sincerely sorry the flight attendant is just before the finger wag when telling a passenger he can't smoke, and also how very happy the life vest guy is when modelling the latest in water-landing gear.

It's the little things!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I really don't car either way. I guess I do enjoy the fact that some people find it offensive though. On the other hand it's just weird when the guy next to you on the plane who has clearly had a few drinks (nothing wrong with that) does the finger wag along with her and proceeds to act like he's the funniest, hippest, most frequent traveler on the plane.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta, United
The finger wag is in reference to smoking on board. Smoking has been banned on all commercial flights in the US for over a decade. So I look at it this way, someone thinking about smoking on board up is being juvenile (not to mention dumb), the finger wag is what ones does to little kids. So it fits.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tvelinsk
I love the finger wag! I will actually wag along with her - kind of like the Rocky Horror Show. Also, love how sincerely sorry the flight attendant is just before the finger wag when telling a passenger he can't smoke, and also how very happy the life vest guy is when modelling the latest in water-landing gear.

It's the little things!
I bet the FA would be "I am so sorry" if someone lit up on the plane. That's the part of the video that's complete fiction.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by pdac1975
I really don't car either way. I guess I do enjoy the fact that some people find it offensive though. On the other hand it's just weird when the guy next to you on the plane who has clearly had a few drinks (nothing wrong with that) does the finger wag along with her and proceeds to act like he's the funniest, hippest, most frequent traveler on the plane.
I agree. I get true and real joy when I hear people complain about the video, real cheese in the Skyclub, or any of the other trivial complaints I read here daily. It really helps draw the distinction between them and myself, and it really feels terrific to be this much better than those people.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
It's one of the quirky little things I just expect at this point. I don't particularly care either way about it, but as has been said, Deltalina + finger wag = marketing home run for Delta.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Flew 84 segments last year, and never seen the video. Unfortunately I'm stuck on EMB/CRJ/MD's exclusively, with the exception of one 319 segment. Frankly, a video, ANY video would be entertainment for me!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
And remember finger-wagging is not allowed on any Delta flight.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
What creeps me out is how happy she is when she says the light on the life vest will automatically activate in the water.

I still think it's one of the better US airline videos. I think placing a commercial before the video is bad for safety as people will tune out the commercial and subsequently tune out the demo.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by tvelinsk

It's the little things!
+1 And the male FA's twinkle-tooth when someone off-camera must have reminded him to smile. And the odd sidelong glance the female pax gives when she puts her seatback upright.

Definitely a cut above any other safety video I've seen. There are some truly awful ones out there. Best of all, starting out with a male pilot and ending with a female pilot, yeah, that's great!

Already getting very tired of the UA/CO CEO video that precedes the safety video. Bo-o-oring followed by very bo-o-oring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.