Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Priority tagged luggage not receiving priority treatment??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))

Past two months I have had to check luggage several times. The agent ALWAYS puts a yellow sky priority tag on the bag. However there have been times where the bag comes out after other bags without the yellow tags.

I thought all luggage with a yellow tag on it was to be the first on the belt. At DTW yesterday morning my bag was the 2nd to the last to come off the belt and the genetleman sitting in front of me in F had his luggage come off last. All the bags that were the last to come off on the belt had yellow tags on it.

Why does Delta put yellow tags on the bags and advertise that as a gold and higher your luggage gets priority treatment when those bags are the last to come off?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: DL GM
IMO Delta has gotten very good with priority bags. In the last year myself and my spouse who travels for biz have always had our bags arrive on the belt in the first wave! It was not so much the case when they first started sky priority.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Unfortunately, it varies...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-priority.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...y-baggage.html
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Why does Delta put yellow tags on the bags and advertise that as a gold and higher your luggage gets priority treatment when those bags are the last to come off?
Good question. I've had the same experience several times, including on Sunday at ATL where my bags were almost the last ones to come off. It was an international flight and I missed my connection to MSP due to the fact that it took over an hour to get my bags.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
It seems to be getting worse. Last month, I flew AMS-ATL, and the first priority bag didn't come out until 7 minutes after bags started coming out (I started timing). Only 4 priority bags came out before 11 minutes (when they started trickling out). My bag took 15 minutes to arrive, completely negating the benefit of GE (GE and priority baggage handling is touted as a great combo by Delta).

I wrote a nice note on Delta.com raising my concerns. I stated that I wasn't concerned about my bag (incidents happen), but I rather thought they should know that it was a complete breakdown in the handling of all priority bags. I also praised OKC in that email for being an airport that always seems to have priority bags come out first. I received email back stating they were sorry my bag wasn't first. I replied stating they had failed to read my email since my concern was that none of the priority bags came out promptly. I got a reply stating they were sorry my bag wasn't first AND they were sorry I had had a less than desirable experience in OKC as well.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM
The priority bag tags have worked at about 50/50 for us. LAX is usually pretty terrible for them. MCO has been hit or miss. It's such a great idea and perk, I wish it worked more consistently.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
For me - flying into MSP - roll the dice.

Seems half the time my Priority tagged bag comes out in the 1st 1/3 of the bags out. Half the time in the last 2/3.

To me - if "Priority" only works 1/2 the time - then it just ain't a Priority.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
DTW is awful

Fortunately I don't check bags very often. But Detroit seems to be the worst about treating the yellow tags with priority (and they should be one of the best airports seeing it's a major Delta hub).

I have checked bags on four trips this year. DTW/MIA and in MIA my bag was one of the first ones to be on the belt and the few before mine were also yellow tagged. Coming back to DTW, there were bags without the yellow tags off before mine but there were still people waiting after my bags came off.

DTW/MDW at MDW bags were already on the belt when I got down there so not sure how it was treated. Coming back to DTW there was over an hour wait on the bgs (we landed in C so not sure if that had anything to do with it) and my bag was the last off but only five others had a checked bag so didn't realy matter there.

DTW/MSY, at MSY my bag was one of the first off and the others off before mine were also yellow tagged. Coming back to DTW a lot of non yellow tags were on the belt before mine, but there were still others waiting on luggage when I got my bag.

This past weekend flew DTW/EWR and my bag was one of the first off and all the bags before mine were yellow tagged. Yesterday LGA/DTW there were a lot of checked bags on the flight and I had a decent wait on mine. Mine was second to the last to be unloaded and all the kettles bags came out before the yellow tags. All the bags that had yellow tags were the last to come off on the belt.

If I have to wait a couple extra minues on my bag it usually isn't a big deal and I am happy it arrived, but I agree with the OP, that if Delta is going to advertise it as a benefit, then they should enforce the policy that yellow tags get priority treatment. Whenever I check a bag back home to DTW, sometimes I am tempted to tell the agent NOT to put the yellow tag on the bag since the yellow tag in DTW seems to means I get my luggage last instead of first.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Only slightly off topic... If you are traveling with others who do not have elite status, watch carefully at check-in to ensure that all bags get the priority tag.

I have had agents only priority tag my bag and ended up waiting seemingly interminable periods for the bags of other family members to come out at the destination.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
It has been really hit or miss. LAX is traditionally. horrible. Was just in LAS and noticed bags coming out randomly.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (PM), HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've only had success about 50% of the time.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:18 am

I seldom check bags but at others have said it seems to be hit or miss. Flew ATL-PBI-ATL over the holidays, our bags were just about last at PBI but just about first at ATL. I was pretty amazed at ATL actually, we were sitting near the front of the plane so we got off pretty quickly and by the time we got from B32 to the baggage carousel our bags were already there. I've never had that happen in ATL.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Just curious if anyone has complained to Delta over this? Wasn't sure if I would be wasting time or not. It iritates me that this is suppose to be a benefit I am to receive as a PM but I only check bags four times a year at the most.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
It sounds like they were the first to load into the plane instead of the last. I will write to delta about it. It's not the comp (which would be miles or $50 vouchers, something like that), but the principle- they will contact the station and refresh the rules.

If it is a pattern, you can also complain and list the flight(s)/airport(s). I think they take it very seriously. There are still major issues with lost/misrouted/damaged baggage, but protecting the 'priority tag' role became better
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Just curious if anyone has complained to Delta over this? Wasn't sure if I would be wasting time or not. It iritates me that this is suppose to be a benefit I am to receive as a PM but I only check bags four times a year at the most.
I've complained many times and in fact, I complain every time. I got a condescending response last year from them so I make a point about it now. Check out the second sentence below. This was in MCO and my bag was the LAST one to drop on the carousel.

"Thank you for expressing your concerns.

I am very sorry to learn that your Sky Priority tag did not ensure that your baggage was the first to arrive on the carousel.

The Sky Priority program is Delta's way of showing our most highly valued customers that your business and extensive travel are appreciated, and that Delta will do all it can to save you time and give you the best possible experience during your travels. We are monitoring our performance in this area closely because we know how important it is for you to continue to your home or next business meeting without delay.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience. We will forward the information you have provided to the appropriate management team for internal review.

Please accept our sincere apology for the unfavorable impression you received in this instance and for the inconvenience this situation caused. We appreciate your loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.